Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 21, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #14,237 of 15,989
You may have already figured this out, but I had to enable HDMI CEC on the Realiser to get eARC to work with my Sony TV. This step was not necessary with my LG TV.
Not sure which LG TV you have or had, but on my CX it forces CEC on once you turn on ARC and eARC.

Oct 22, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #14,238 of 15,989
Not sure which LG TV you have or had, but on my CX it forces CEC on once you turn on ARC and eARC.
I had the LG GX and I believe you're correct that CEC turns on in the TV's settings when ARC or eARC is enabled. I did not have CEC enabled in the Realiser's settings and this prevented eARC from working with my Sony TV. I don't remember ever having CEC enabled in the Realiser's settings when using my LG TV.

Oct 22, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #14,239 of 15,989
I think that buying files with Auro-3D content from various online shops is not always cost effective and not quite fully enjoyable for an owner of a Realiser A16 unit. For example, Native DSD charges roughly 20 EUR for Home - Jan Gunnar Hoff as 5.1.4 Channel Auro3D 96k Immersive Audio. For the same production, 2L – the Nordic Sound charges 24 EUR as Auro-3D files (embedded in 5.1 FLAC). However, if a prospective customer looking for immersive audio buys the Hybrid SACD + Pure Audio Blu-ray bundle, he/she pays 26 EUR and for only 2 more euros gets much more flavours: MCH 5.1 DSD, Stereo DSD, 2.0 LPCM 192/24, 5.1 DTS HD-MA 192/24, 7.1.4 Auro-3D 96kHz, 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos 48kHz and mShuttle: MQA + FLAC + MP3.

https://shop.2l.no/collections/latest-releases/products/home-jan-gunnar-hoff?variant=41179271692471

Oct 22, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #14,240 of 15,989
I had the LG GX and I believe you're correct that CEC turns on in the TV's settings when ARC or eARC is enabled. I did not have CEC enabled in the Realiser's settings and this prevented eARC from working with my Sony TV. I don't remember ever having CEC enabled in the Realiser's settings when using my LG TV.
Ahh. That makes sense. I believe on of the A16 firmware updates changed that behavior. When it was first launched in beta I don’t believe you needed CEC enabled on the A16. Then I want to say firmware 2.10 which had a release note of “an improved eARC implementation” or something along those lines introduced CEC and it needing to be enabled.

Oct 22, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #14,241 of 15,989
You may have already figured this out, but I had to enable HDMI CEC on the Realiser to get eARC to work with my Sony TV. This step was not necessary with my LG TV.
Are you sure about ARC/eARC working on LG TV's without enabling HDMI-CEC? LG calls it "Simplink" but that's HDMI-CEC. And it absolutely is required in order to enable ARC/eARC on my LG C9.

And yes, I also have HDMI-CEC enabled on my A16... which is running firmware 2.11.

Oct 22, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #14,242 of 15,989
I suppose this may be old info, but I just played a Dolby Atmos track on Apple Music on a Mac mini (macOS 12.0.1)... I can see the Atmos logo and in fact when outputting to a 8ch interface it seems to be decoding it as well. When did this become available? On macOS only stereo was available before. Now if only macOS had automatic sample rate switching it would be the one and only music playback machine.

EDIT: I think decoding may be limited to 5.1. Or maybe some special tracks include 5.1 as well. Album in question is Oxymore by Jean-Michel Jarre.

EDIT2: Apple's support page still only lists Atmos support with only Apple/Beats devices (headphones) and internal speakers... have I accidentally discovered something?

EDIT3: Sigh, got too excited it seems. No, it seems that the Mac does not output Atmos over HDMI. However, getting at least basic 5.1 "for free" is better than nothing.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #14,243 of 15,989
Btw, since the newest firmware, the AES outputs on my AES Realiser now seem to work even in Auro mode (upmixed). Will have to try native content later. Seems more reliable as well, earlier I'd have to toggle between speaker/headphone a couple of times to get output at all (even with non-Auro content). Not sure if I'll have time to test everything but this new version seems hugely improved.

EDIT: Native Auro content works over the AES outputs too. So, that issue seems fixed. However, sometimes the audio cuts off briefly for perhaps 0.5s. I am not sure if it's the Realiser's fault though, it could be something else in my chain.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #14,244 of 15,989
I have a weird problem with Disney+ on my amazon Fire Stick 4k (not the Max):
Suddenly I don't get Dolby Atmos anymore. Max. DD+ 5.1 but the worst case are Imax Enhanced movies, there I only get a stereo downmix in DD+ instead of Atmos, no matter if I choose the normal widescreen version or the Imax enhanced version.
Few weeks ago I had Atmos from Disny+, I haven't changed anything.
I get Atmos from prime video (the new Lord of the Rings series for example) and from the test video of the Fire Stick. I don't have netflix.
My Realiser does not have the newest firmware and does only Dolby, I haven't paid for the DTS/Auro update yet ( unfortunately at the moment I want to save my money, no one knows what will come...)
The FW is not up to date either.
But as I said it worked few weeks ago, so s.th. has been changed on the side of Disney+ or the app on the fire stick.

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #14,245 of 15,989
I have a weird problem with Disney+ on my amazon Fire Stick 4k (not the Max):
Suddenly I don't get Dolby Atmos anymore. Max. DD+ 5.1 but the worst case are Imax Enhanced movies, there I only get a stereo downmix in DD+ instead of Atmos, no matter if I choose the normal widescreen version or the Imax enhanced version.

I noticed Disney+ Atmos wasn't working the same day you did - and it's still not working, although I'm getting DD+ for Thor - Love & Thunder enhanced.
I have the FireTV 4K Max. There have been some online complaints about Disney+ Atmos stopped working from other folks.

I didn't initially respond to your post because I wasn't getting Atmos for Prime or DVDs either, which I tracked down to my HDMI splitter (one side to AV Receiver, other to Realiser. I ordered a replacement splitter that arrived today, but before I opened it I tried the old splitter again and now Atmos is working for Prime and DVDs - go figure.

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #14,247 of 15,989
I noticed Disney+ Atmos wasn't working the same day you did

More on the Disney+ Atmos issue from https://www.disneyplusinformer.com/dolby-atmos-not-working-on-disney-plus-heres-your-answer/

"Dolby Atmos Not Working On Disney Plus?
A recent app update has broken Dolby Atmos support on Disney+ for any device that runs Android. This includes devices such as Firesticks, Chromecast, Sony TV, Nvidia Shield and more.

Instead of Dolby Atmos being used, regular Dolby Digital 5.1 is being used instead.

Unfortunately, there isn’t much that be done to resolve this issue. Many have experienced success in casting from a phone onto their TVs instead.

Disney is likely aware of the issue and will eventually release an update to fix Dolby Atmos support. However, there is no timeline on when that might happen."

Oct 26, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #14,248 of 15,989
Hi,
thanks for the info.
That's a bummer...
At least it seems that it's not a problem of me alone.

I couldn't find infos few days ago. Only about an issue with Apple TV from June which should be resolved and I knew there were some issues specifically with Fire Stick 4k MAX. But I hope that's also solved by now?

So, when there are no issues left, they invent some new ones...
Would be too much fun if the apps just would work how they should...
never change a running system...

Oct 26, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #14,249 of 15,989
On the plus side, it is nice to hear that Prime has Atmos content again. I checked on my Apple TV and I get Atmos for that show too. Prime had dropped Atmos for awhile. I hope there will be more.
I'm not sure, but I think this is also the first Atmos content from amazon prime that I streamed. Can't remember any Atmos content before.

And it seems they make full use of objects here, since also the front wide channels often are playing, and those can only be objects, the maximum bed is 7.1.2

Picture quality is also excellent, others are reporting. Seems that maybe my humble 50 Mbit are not enough for that show. I still so get banding in dark or light areas as with other streams.

Oct 26, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #14,250 of 15,989
I'm not sure, but I think this is also the first Atmos content from amazon prime that I streamed. Can't remember any Atmos content before.

And it seems they make full use of objects here, since also the front wide channels often are playing, and those can only be objects, the maximum bed is 7.1.2

Picture quality is also excellent, others are reporting. Seems that maybe my humble 50 Mbit are not enough for that show. I still so get banding in dark or light areas as with other streams.
On Apple TV, Disney + and Apple is working great with atmos. Never had any issues.

However prime has the infuriating rule that you must have a 4k display to receive atmos (I run a 1080p projector). I’ve heard that rings of power have a stellar atmos mix with heaps of moving objects. Annoying that I can’t experience it…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back