Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 10, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #14,161 of 15,989
Would it be possible to use a protractor or gyroscope tool to create virtual height speakers (for the measurement) by angling the listener's head down?
@phoenixdogfan had a great idea for positioning yourself at the correct speaker angles... Every hour on the clock is 30 degrees...genius!

Screenshot_20220915_191806.jpg

Maybe he can chime in with what he is using.

Oct 10, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #14,162 of 15,989
Here is a question that popped into my head today..... I wonder how easy would it be to take a Hifiman Susvara ( $6K ) ... put the ear mics in your ears and perform the sweeps to record its FR of those headphones... so you would have a Susvara PRIR (2ch) that you could load while listening to a Hifiman HE1000v2 ( $2K) ..... might be an interesting experiment... now If I just had that Susvara to record the PRIR with.. :xf_cool: and wonder if while you had the 2ch Susvara PRIR loaded and the upmixer of the Auro3d would still do its magic... hmmm

Oct 10, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #14,163 of 15,989
Of course it's possible... But challenging. @jazzfan did just what you are asking with his Dutch and Dutch setup.

I did not go this route. I was more interested in making it as virtually perfect (🤪) as possible.

The problem with bending forward and backward to achieve the elevation angles necessary (for Atmos and or Auro) is the lack of distance to the virtual front and rear walls. Let's just say you bend forward from the hip to cature the front height channels... You may be able to position yourself so the the top of your head is at the correct height (distance) from the speakers... But your face is now only 3 to 4 feet from the floor (virtual front wall). The reflections off of the floor will definitely not be ideal... And you will most definitely hear the lack of virtual space between you and the front wall.

Forgive my crappy drawing... But I think you'll get the idea.

Screenshot_20221010_170234_Gallery.jpg
John, I didn't know that you had this hidden talent. The Rhode Island School Of Design is calling. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oct 10, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #14,165 of 15,989
here's my update on the new firmware I installed... first off - the option to be able to adjust the center channel volume is pretty cool and pretty easy to do.. its like you get to push and/or pull the stage closer or farther away... pretty cool

I started playing with the volume options on the system audio settings and for more time than I'm going to confess to it whipped my rear end... between that setup screen and the new screen I just couldn't get my head wrapped around what the A16 was doing... was driving me crazy so I finally conceded and did a factory reset and loaded my PRIR and HPEQ back to the A16 and declared the A16 the winner... chicken dinner and all that... so at least the center channel is now done and the cob webs cleared out of the A16... :)

Oct 10, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #14,166 of 15,989
Of course it's possible... But challenging. @jazzfan did just what you are asking with his Dutch and Dutch setup.

I did not go this route. I was more interested in making it as virtually perfect (🤪) as possible.

The problem with bending forward and backward to achieve the elevation angles necessary (for Atmos and or Auro) is the lack of distance to the virtual front and rear walls. Let's just say you bend forward from the hip to cature the front height channels... You may be able to position yourself so the the top of your head is at the correct height (distance) from the speakers... But your face is now only 3 to 4 feet from the floor (virtual front wall). The reflections off of the floor will definitely not be ideal... And you will most definitely hear the lack of virtual space between you and the front wall.

ALL HAIL THE STREETLIGHT!!!!

MASTER OF ALL!!! GIVE US THE GREEN LIGHT OF ACCEPTANCE!!!

Oct 10, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #14,167 of 15,989
Having Issues getting eArc working. Setup Smyth Realiser A16, firmware 2.10 April 18 2022. Sony A90J TV.
What sort of problem are you having? I don’t have a Sony tv, I have a LG CX but I did spend tons of time troubleshooting eARC issues when it first launched and again with 2.10 so I might be able to help.

Oct 10, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #14,168 of 15,989
After noticing that firmware 2.11 -> 2.12 didn't require a factory reset, I went ahead and did the upgrade. But there was something weird about it.

My Auro listening room had been 13.1. After the 2.12 upgrade it's now 7.1.4h, with the 7.1.4h speakers populated from the previous 13.1 room.

It seems that the difference between the previous 13.1 (14 channels) and the new 7.1.4h (12 channels) is the absence of the "T"op and "Ch" (center high) speakers in 7.1.4h.

I reconfigured the room to 13.1 but am wondering if anyone has any theories as to why this happened.

I guess some Auro documentation would be helpful - any day now...

Oct 10, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #14,169 of 15,989
My Auro listening room had been 13.1. After the 2.12 upgrade it's now 7.1.4h, with the 7.1.4h speakers populated from the previous 13.1 room.
The same happened to myself and others.

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #14,170 of 15,989

Good point from our PRIR expert John, wondering if someone tried to eliminate the room acoustic by performing PRIR in nearfield set up like between 1m to 1.8m max listening distance?
To be as close as the "perfect" room with all the microdetails of the nearfield experience without sacrificing the localization of the different speakers channel layers

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #14,171 of 15,989
Good point from our PRIR expert John, wondering if someone tried to eliminate the room acoustic by performing PRIR in nearfield set up like between 1m to 1.8m max listening distance?
To be as close as the "perfect" room with all the microdetails of the nearfield experience without sacrificing the localization of the different speakers channel layers
For all the reasons you mentioned...

1.6m for all measurements. :)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #14,174 of 15,989
Oct 11, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #14,175 of 15,989

looks either like speaker worshipping (this is what all the hi-enders do every evening before starting to listen to music...)
or a weird s*x position, what's it called, audios*xual maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back