Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 17, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #13,967 of 15,992
Where is this found? It's a little late now (since I believe I already lucked into a self-install that seems to have been successful, I think) but I'd like to know in writing what I should have done, and what I should look for now to confirm that it is installed properly.

Again, I did not have DTS:x sent to me for my own installation, so I never got instructions from James that I can duplicate now for Auro. They had my A16 in-hand and did the DTS:x upgrade at the same time. It was returned to me already upgraded with both the HDMI hardware upgrade, 24ch upgrade, and DTS:x applied..
https://smyth-research.com/downloads/

Aug 17, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #13,968 of 15,992
The Auro labels for Lh and Rh are the same as Atmos.. In fact, I'm quite certain they are the identical virtual speakers... Which would mean they were NOT recorded at Auro spec. If you are going to capture the five Auro channels (minus the VOG)... Make sure they are directly above your L and R channels... But more importantly, make sure that the speakers are at the correct azimuth angles... 30° and aimed at 20-30cm above your head... Instead of ear level as Dolby requires. There is a noticeable difference in the audio presentation.
I was planning to do that anyway. To tell the truth, LS 50 Metas have a virtually identical FR whether they are dead on axis or 15-25 off axis, which is what I'm going to be striving for in my measurement. And, of course, each Auro height exacly sharing the footprint of the base level speaker, just elevated.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #13,969 of 15,992
Where is this found? It's a little late now (since I believe I already lucked into a self-install that seems to have been successful, I think) but I'd like to know in writing what I should have done, and what I should look for now to confirm that it is installed properly.

Again, I did not have DTS:x sent to me for my own installation, so I never got instructions from James that I can duplicate now for Auro. They had my A16 in-hand and did the DTS:x upgrade at the same time. It was returned to me already upgraded with both the HDMI hardware upgrade, 24ch upgrade, and DTS:x applied..
On their downloads page. Here is a direct link: https://smyth-research.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/A16_DTSX_installation.pdf

Aug 18, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #13,970 of 15,992
Here is a link to Marantz's information on Auro 3D which I found to be quite helpful. Note that the Marantz default setting for the "Auro 3D preset" (not the same thing as an A16 preset) is "small," with an upmixing strength of "10." The default settings in the A16 are "small" and "13."

https://manuals.marantz.com/AV7703/EU/EN/DRDZSYqpfuopws.php

Edit
- According to YouTuber Joentell (thanks @Litlgi74 for the link!), the Denon 4700 surround receiver has “medium” and “10” as defaults. AFAIK, Marantz and Denon are the two main companies with Auro 3D-capable receivers.
Many thanks for this reference, as basic and simple as it might be. The A16 has the same two items that can be adjusted. Here is the relevant info provided by Marantz:

bXXU2x.jpg

dzJNXN.jpg

gVoDhT.jpg

And of course, once I took the time to look more closely at the new A16 settings relating to Auro, my PCM-only results from yesterday's experiment playing the 5.1+4 Auro FLAC file purchased from Spirit of Turtle clearly were the result of my not having "activated" Auro-3D processing in MISC SETTINGS. Not clear why Smyth made this an explicit user-option only for Auro but not also for the similarly optional DTS:x. And in the absence of any updated documentation the purpose of the setting (delivered as OFF by default) is of course a total guess.

Nevertheless, after creating a full set of Auro listening rooms (combining my AIX 5.1/7.1 PRIR floor-level speakers with BBC for whatever else would be needed for height), and "activating" Auro in MISC SETTINGS: and updating my presets to reference my own Auro listening rooms:

rBHZkN.jpg
L59csg.jpg

and updating my presets to reference my own Auro listening rooms:

yUxzlW.jpg
kpreLQ.jpg

I now do indeed now have Auro success (sample shown playing the 5.1+4 FLAC via Oppo 203 USB -> bitstream to A16):

sMEKoP.jpg
30HW46.jpg

ouy8Lq.jpg

I will now spend more time experimenting with those two Auro parameters described above, to see how significant is the effect of each. Also, since this first demonstration source is "large orchestral" I am very interested to see how different the Hazar "Reincarnation" guitar rendition sounds, again playing with the two auro parameters to learn more about the effects.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #13,972 of 15,992
I am a bit confused about the footnotes provided in those Marantz manual snippets regarding the two Auro-related settings. For both of them it says:

"This cannot be set if the input signal contains Auro-3D signals containing a Height channel."

What does that mean exactly?? What is the implication of what they're saying? And what is the implementation of "this cannot be set"?? Does the control get "grayed-out" or something? I really don't understand the point, the essence, and the effect of this caveat.

For example, this 5.1+4 FLAC I'm playing, isn't the "+4" a reference to the Height channel speakers? Wouldn't it honestly always be expected that an immersive Auro production WOULD include height speaker info??? And yet obviously on the A16 I am totally free to change both of these settings at any time, no matter whether something is "playing" (and contains Height) or not.

What could Marantz really be saying here?

Aug 18, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #13,973 of 15,992
I am a bit confused about the footnotes provided in those Marantz manual snippets regarding the two Auro-related settings. For both of them it says:

"This cannot be set if the input signal contains Auro-3D signals containing a Height channel."

What does that mean exactly?? What is the implication of what they're saying? And what is the implementation of "this cannot be set"?? Does the control get "grayed-out" or something? I really don't understand the point, the essence, and the effect of this caveat.

For example, this 5.1+4 FLAC I'm playing, isn't the "+4" a reference to the Height channel speakers? Wouldn't it honestly always be expected that an immersive Auro production WOULD include height speaker info??? And yet obviously on the A16 I am totally free to change both of these settings at any time, no matter whether something is "playing" (and contains Height) or not.

What could Marantz really be saying here?
Auro-Matic 3D is the upmixer, it creates height channels with source material that doesn't already contain height channels. That is something different from decoding height channels that are explicitely coded in the source.

[Edit: So when the sound-mode is set to Auro 3D and the source is Auro 3D with height channels then the height channels are decoded and not created by upmixing.]

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #13,974 of 15,992
Auro-Matic 3D is the upmixer, it creates height channels with source material that doesn't already contain height channels. That is something different from decoding height channels that are explicitely coded in the source.

[Edit: So when the sound-mode is set to Auro 3D and the source is Auro 3D with height channels then the height channels are decoded and not created by upmixing.]
So this says that these two settings are related ONLY to Auro-Matic 3D, i.e. only for non-Auro source material that is going to be up-mixed by Auro-Matic 3D.

In contrast, for ACTUAL genuine Auro-3D source then these two settings are "inoperative" and related processing is completely non-functional. The native Auro-3D source is processed "native", exactly as authored.

So that means there's no point in playing around with those settings to see what audible difference might occur, when listening to genunine Auro-3D content. These only affect how the upmixer works with listening to non-Auro content in an Auro room upmixed using Auro-Matic 3D.

I see.

I'm guessing we will likely see something to the same effect in some upcoming updated A16 documentation version from Smyth that fully describes Auro processing in the A16. For example, what is "Auro headroom"? And what are the implications of the other value options (than "Auro-3D") in the "Auro listening mode" setting?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #13,975 of 15,992
Received the Auro permission file from James this morning and successfully updated my firmware. Really. it could not be easier. Just download to the Micro sd chip from the email. Transfer to micro chip to the slot in front, then turn the A16 off and just turn it back on, and it updates. When you are finished the APM firmware update status in Setting should show APM 117 v. 251 which is how you will know the update was successful.

Now I just need to put together some Auro rooms with my own PRIRs, and familiarize with its operation, which doesn't look very difficult either, and I'll be ready to turn all those PCM video sountracks into glorious Auro surround. Might even invest in a Tidal subscription, since there appears to be no way to sideload my Qobuz app on my NVidia shield.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #13,977 of 15,992
Looking forward to hearing your impressions. I'm still on the fence about getting this, especially since I don't need DTS X.
Don't need the DTS-X either. Wish I could have just purchased what I wanted ala carte. And, of course, the upgrades were promised as part of the original cost anyway, so I'm just considering this a "Go Fund Me" for Smyth Ltd.

The primary selling point with me is the capability it gives me to upmix PCM streams to something, hopefully, more immersive. I'll keep everyone posted. I'll probably re-do my heights this weekend and put together a couple of Auro3D rooms with the 3D Soundshop D&Ds, as well as my in home LS 50 Meta/SB2000/Dirac Live 3 set up.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #13,979 of 15,992
Don't need the DTS-X either. Wish I could have just purchased what I wanted ala carte. And, of course, the upgrades were promised as part of the original cost anyway, so I'm just considering this a "Go Fund Me" for Smyth Ltd.

The primary selling point with me is the capability it gives me to upmix PCM streams to something, hopefully, more immersive. I'll keep everyone posted. I'll probably re-do my heights this weekend and put together a couple of Auro3D rooms with the 3D Soundshop D&Ds, as well as my in home LS 50 Meta/SB2000/Dirac Live 3 set up.
Are you also planning to do a personalized VOG capture (vs trying/using the BBC VOG)?

Aug 18, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #13,980 of 15,992
Are you also planning to do a personalized VOG capture (vs trying/using the BBC VOG)?
No. I have a vision of my Voice of God speaker slipping its moorings and morphing into a Rod From God aimed straight at my noggin. The aftermath would make for a simultaneously grisly and hilarious cautionary tale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back