Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 25, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #13,816 of 16,054
The Trinnov Newsletter of July 2022 has a section called Trinnov and Audioholics discuss Immersive Sound Channel Count. It’s an interview from Chuck Back discussing immersive sound, speaker placement and other topics. I’m not going to write more as my post isn’t intended to spoil your appetite for watching that interview.

Even if Realiser A16 works with virtual speakers, these are based on measurements with real speakers, which an immersive sound enthusiast must know how to manage their number and position in a room.

Jul 28, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #13,820 of 16,054
By the way of Auro-3D and immersive sound, at pureaudiorecordings.com there’re are promotion weeks: 15% off all albums from 2L until 08 August 2022. For fans of immersive music, it’s an opportunity to purchase a few more productions.

Jul 29, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #13,821 of 16,054
Im hoping a member might know if all the kickstar orders have been fulfilled yet? Do we know what number they are up to? I’m wondering will the Ukraine invasion give the Smyths have another excuse for delays. Any preorders been shipped yet?

Jul 29, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #13,822 of 16,054
Im hoping a member might know if all the kickstar orders have been fulfilled yet? Do we know what number they are up to? I’m wondering will the Ukraine invasion give the Smyths have another excuse for delays. Any preorders been shipped yet?
There are a few kickstarter orders outstanding and no preorders have been shipped. The last kickstarter shipment that I know of was December 2020.
Kickstarter fulfillment got up to somewhere around #289.

Jul 29, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #13,824 of 16,054
Thank you for the update, doesn’t look very promising I’m going to request a refund. I have waited 5 years.
I requested one (preorder refund) three years ago before deploying to Kuwait and before the whole pandemic hit—I didn’t get one then even given some pretty extenuating circumstances. I wish you better luck than me but I don’t know as I’d be very optimistic given how many of us are also in the 5+ year club! Hopefully James and co. will prove me wrong someday as even after all this time I would still rather join the happy owner’s club.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #13,825 of 16,054
I requested one (preorder refund) three years ago before deploying to Kuwait and before the whole pandemic hit—I didn’t get one then even given some pretty extenuating circumstances. I wish you better luck than me but I don’t know as I’d be very optimistic given how many of us are also in the 5+ year club! Hopefully James and co. will prove me wrong someday as even after all this time I would still rather join the happy owner’s club.
Did you get a reply, at least? I can understand a kickstarter campaign not issuing refunds, but a preorder is a different beast. While I sympathize about the difficulty a starting company with limited capital has with issuing a refund, I'm not sure of the legality of a refund on a preorder. Perhaps someone could educate me, but my thought is that a preorder does not differ from an actual order as far as the expectation of getting the product; it's the purchase of a product, not the funding of a start up.

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #13,827 of 16,054
While I sympathize about the difficulty a starting company with limited capital has with issuing a refund, I'm not sure of the legality of a refund on a preorder. Perhaps someone could educate me, but my thought is that a preorder does not differ from an actual order as far as the expectation of getting the product; it's the purchase of a product, not the funding of a start up.
Using wayback machine you can find the Terms and Conditions of the pre-orders, the following link shows a snapshot of the page from June 8th 2017, the month in which I pre-ordered:
https://web.archive.org/web/20170608155327/http://www.smyth-research.com/preorder_A16.html

quote from that page:
Realiser A16 Pre-Sale Offer: Terms and Conditions

Effective 1 January 2017

By using the Smyth Research website to submit a pre-sales deposit and/or pay your final balance, you agree to be bound by these terms. As of 10 September 2016, the online retail price for the Realiser A16 is estimated at US$1950 (excluding taxes and shipping). For the period 1 January through to 30 June 2017 Smyth Research Ltd is offering the Realiser A16 at a discounted price of US$1690 (excluding taxes and shipping) under a pre-sale deposit scheme.

Estimated shipping of Realiser A16 purchased under this scheme is Q3 2017. To take up this offer you are required initially to make a single US$700 deposit, as part payment, and then to pay the balance on or before the 30 June 2017. The balance will comprise US$990, shipping and insurance charges to your address and any taxes/VAT, where applicable. Applicable taxes/VAT will be calculated on the entire purchase cost including shipping. Within one month after the 30 June 2017 deadline we will contact you to confirm your shipping address.

You may ask for your deposit to be refunded in full at any time prior to paying the final balance. Once you pay the final balance then this amount and the deposit are deemed non-refundable and you will be shipped the Realiser A16 once it goes into production.

The Realiser A16 is still in development and although we plan to ship all Realiser A16s purchased under the pre-sales scheme in Q3 2017, the actual shipping may be delayed significantly. We believe the specification of the Realiser A16 will be close to that documented on our website but it may change significantly up to the time of shipping. We reserve the right to alter our online retail price estimate at any time. We reserve the right to offer other promotional pre-sales schemes from time to time at terms that may differ from this pre-sale offer. We reserve the right to cancel this pre-sale offer at any time, in which case all monies will be refunded in full.

Anyway, even if there was a legal obligation for a refund the problem remains: If we all would claim a refund Smyth probably would not be able to pay and go bankrupt...

Jul 29, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #13,828 of 16,054
Thanks! I think it’s your last point that is most likely stopping people from moving forward with refunds or extra effort to get them; the verbiage in the post would have trouble holding up under any true legal pressure.

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #13,829 of 16,054
Did you get a reply, at least? ...
Thanks for asking. Yes, I did get a reply back then, but like so many of us, it was a retread of the familiar "we've still got a few Kickstarters to fulfill and then we'll start plugging away at the preorders--you should have yours by [insert date later this year/early next]." So...at this point, given the fine print of the deposit/preorder, I'm simply biding my time patiently for any updates (which admittedly come WAY too infrequently for my tastes), and what I hope will be an eventual delivery on the order I paid for in good faith.

Seriously, though--I share the frustration of many on this board, but I really don't want to sling any mud around--I have nothing but high hopes that James can keep the lights on while getting supply and assembly issues back under control and eventually start generating the kind of profits, positive buzz and compelling user experience that this product seems to warrant. But it is definitely hard to keep any sense of optimism after so long--I was diagnosed with lymphoma back in 2020--as grim as it sounds, I'm honestly worried now that the cancer may take me before I finally get a hold of finished product and my wife will be left trying to figure out what the Hell I was thinking way back in 2016 when I placed my order.

Jul 30, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #13,830 of 16,054
Thanks for asking. Yes, I did get a reply back then, but like so many of us, it was a retread of the familiar "we've still got a few Kickstarters to fulfill and then we'll start plugging away at the preorders--you should have yours by [insert date later this year/early next]." So...at this point, given the fine print of the deposit/preorder, I'm simply biding my time patiently for any updates (which admittedly come WAY too infrequently for my tastes), and what I hope will be an eventual delivery on the order I paid for in good faith.

Seriously, though--I share the frustration of many on this board, but I really don't want to sling any mud around--I have nothing but high hopes that James can keep the lights on while getting supply and assembly issues back under control and eventually start generating the kind of profits, positive buzz and compelling user experience that this product seems to warrant. But it is definitely hard to keep any sense of optimism after so long--I was diagnosed with lymphoma back in 2020--as grim as it sounds, I'm honestly worried now that the cancer may take me before I finally get a hold of finished product and my wife will be left trying to figure out what the Hell I was thinking way back in 2016 when I placed my order.
Wow, that is really rough, I'm sorry to hear that. Depending on what order the preorders ever go out I'd be more than happy to swap spots with you if it means you get yours sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back