Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 30, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #12,916 of 15,988
Dec 30, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #12,917 of 15,988
You could try Hekeli Genelec and Jazzfan D&D, those are my favorite free PRIRs. I bought all what John has in offer in his shop, and if /when he offers something new, I'll be first in line. 3D Sound Shop Genelec PRIR is excellent, and D&D is even better... :)
Nice one, thanks. The Genelec was the one I was most interested in prior to the release of the D&D based on impressive past demos of their studio monitors, but the D&Ds seem to be better reviewed overall.

Is Hekeli's Genelec PRIR on the Google Drive as well? I did not see a folder for it.

And to be clear, does John run the shop I keep mentioning, or is this another shop? I had read the posts in the run up to the opening of 3DSS, but that was a while back...

Dec 30, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #12,918 of 15,988
I think an even more interesting question is when they will begin offering the promised BRIR customization service which will take PRIRs done on other people's and/or dummy heads and using a personal at home measurement file taken with an inexpensive mono speaker, adapt those BRIRs so they more closely approximate actual in person PRIRs
That would be extremely impressive, but far beyond my current skillset with the A16. It has however only been in my possession for one week. 😄

It makes you wonder what they could achieve with greater funding and more R&D...

Dec 30, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #12,919 of 15,988
Is there another thread with film soundmix recommendations, or do people include them in this thread? I am intrigued to see what you all use as your go to demo material.

Dec 30, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #12,920 of 15,988
Is Hekeli's Genelec PRIR on the Google Drive as well?
Within the folder "2) A8 PRIR files for A16", in folder "Hekeli". The A16 can use these files (it automatically converts them to A16 PRIR files when you load them from SD card). Of course all the PRIRs in there are maximum 7.1 channels, no height speakers.
In case you don't know: You need a microSD card with a folder 'realiser' and in there 2 subfolders 'prirs' and 'hpeqs', put the PRIR or PRIRs you want to use in that subfolder 'prirs'. Then insert the card into the A16 etc.

Dec 30, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #12,921 of 15,988
Within the folder "2) A8 PRIR files for A16", in folder "Hekeli". The A16 can use these files (it automatically converts them to A16 PRIR files when you load them from SD card). Of course all the PRIRs in there are maximum 7.1 channels, no height speakers.
In case you don't know: You need a microSD card with a folder 'realiser' and in there 2 subfolders 'prirs' and 'hpeqs', put the PRIR or PRIRs you want to use in that subfolder 'prirs'. Then insert the card into the A16 etc.
Thanks mate!

Jan 2, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #12,922 of 15,988
How many folks are using firmware 2.05 with DTS:X? If so, what problems are you encountering, if any. I tried 2.05 and had lots of problems with it.

Is anyone using 2.05 with a Tivo Bolt?

I upgraded from firmware 2.0 to 2.05 yesterday using the revised instructions.

I now have a problem with my Tivo Bolt that didn't happen under firmware 2.0. The problem is that if I pause for more than a minute there is no sound and no activity on the speaker map and the display shows "Dolby Audio", not "No HDMI Input". The only way I've found to fix it is to change the A16 Audio Source to a different HDMI input and back.

Everything else is working OK - FireTV, Samsung DVD, Tivo HD, DTS:X.

All devices run into an HDMI switch, when then runs to a single HDMI input on the A16.

I've tried the following without success:
1) Changing the HDMI cable from the Tivo Bolt to the HDMI switch
2) Changing which input is used on the HDMI switch for the Tivo Bolt
3) Changing which A16 input is used
4) Changing the HDMI switch input from the Tivo Bolt to another device and back to try to get A16 to resync.
5) Changing Tivo Video Output from 4K to 1K

If I change the Tivo Audio output from Dolby to PCM, then it works, but only for 2 channels.

Before I revert back to firmware 2.0, does anyone have suggestions for other things to try?

UPDATE: I tried the Tivo Bolt optical out to the A16 optical in and that works OK. Now waiting on a 25' optical cable...

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #12,923 of 15,988
Before I revert back to firmware 2.0, does anyone have suggestions for other things to try?

UPDATE: I tried the Tivo Bolt optical out to the A16 optical in and that works OK. Now waiting on a 25' optical cable...
I'd say that sounds like a compatibility problem where it's unclear if your HDMI switch is part of the problem or not. Have you tried connecting your Tivo directly to the A16? Is the Tivo configured for some kind of power saving mode where it turns off the display after some time of inactivity, an can you disable that?

In any case, it might be a bug in the A16, possibly with the HDMI board or its integration with the rest of the A16. You should report that to the Smyths, maybe they have an idea or even alternative firmware you could try.

Jan 2, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #12,924 of 15,988
Have you tried connecting your Tivo directly to the A16?
Is the Tivo configured for some kind of power saving mode where it turns off the display after some time of inactivity?

When I directly connected the Tivo Bolt to A16 HDMI 2, there was no sound after a 1 minute pause.
When paused a static video image is displayed continuously.

Jan 2, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #12,925 of 15,988
Nice one, thanks. The Genelec was the one I was most interested in prior to the release of the D&D based on impressive past demos of their studio monitors, but the D&Ds seem to be better reviewed overall.

Is Hekeli's Genelec PRIR on the Google Drive as well? I did not see a folder for it.

And to be clear, does John run the shop I keep mentioning, or is this another shop? I had read the posts in the run up to the opening of 3DSS, but that was a while back...
Jazzfan also has an upload of Genelec 1032a's from the MiCasa studio. I've uploaded it myself and it sounds pretty good.

Jan 3, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #12,927 of 15,988
I got around to loading up @jazzfan D&D PRIR and I quite enjoy the more bass focused sound vs the stock BBC PRIR. Thanks given my inability to get personal PRIR done. If anyone has any leads to getting one done in the Toronto area, please let me know.
John is in New Jersey and he will at some point offer personal PRIRs. Might be your best bet.

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #12,928 of 15,988
Is anyone using 2.05 with a Tivo Bolt?

I upgraded from firmware 2.0 to 2.05 yesterday using the revised instructions.

I now have a problem with my Tivo Bolt that didn't happen under firmware 2.0. The problem is that if I pause for more than a minute there is no sound and no activity on the speaker map and the display shows "Dolby Audio", not "No HDMI Input". The only way I've found to fix it is to change the A16 Audio Source to a different HDMI input and back.

Everything else is working OK - FireTV, Samsung DVD, Tivo HD, DTS:X.

All devices run into an HDMI switch, when then runs to a single HDMI input on the A16.

I've tried the following without success:
1) Changing the HDMI cable from the Tivo Bolt to the HDMI switch
2) Changing which input is used on the HDMI switch for the Tivo Bolt
3) Changing which A16 input is used
4) Changing the HDMI switch input from the Tivo Bolt to another device and back to try to get A16 to resync.
5) Changing Tivo Video Output from 4K to 1K

If I change the Tivo Audio output from Dolby to PCM, then it works, but only for 2 channels.

Not so long ago, I wrote here about a no-sound issue after installing DTS decoding. The no-sound issue occurs for presets that have been reconfigured with listening rooms built from PRIRs personalised to me. On the contrary, my A16 is not affected by the no-sound issue for presets that have been configured with listening rooms built from the factory PRIR files. I wrote to James Smyth and then sent him the results of the investigations he suggested, but I didn’t receive any further suggestions on how to resolve this issue. Also, @Got the Shakes reported similar weird behaviour of his Realiser A16 unit.

Jan 3, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #12,929 of 15,988
Not so long ago, I wrote here about a no-sound issue after installing DTS decoding. The no-sound issue occurs for presets that have been reconfigured with listening rooms built from PRIRs personalised to me. On the contrary, my A16 is not affected by the no-sound issue for presets that have been configured with listening rooms built from the factory PRIR files.

Thanks for the reminder. I had the silent preset problem previously (different firmware) and this isn't it.

The current problem with no sound after pausing the Tivo Bolt occurs on factory presets and changing the preset doesn't restore the sound - I have to change the "Audio Source" away and back to restore the sound.

Jan 3, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #12,930 of 15,988
Not so long ago, I wrote here about a no-sound issue after installing DTS decoding. The no-sound issue occurs for presets that have been reconfigured with listening rooms built from PRIRs personalised to me. On the contrary, my A16 is not affected by the no-sound issue for presets that have been configured with listening rooms built from the factory PRIR files. I wrote to James Smyth and then sent him the results of the investigations he suggested, but I didn’t receive any further suggestions on how to resolve this issue. Also, @Got the Shakes reported similar weird behaviour of his Realiser A16 unit.

Thanks for the reminder. I had the silent preset problem previously (different firmware) and this isn't it.

The current problem with no sound after pausing the Tivo Bolt occurs on factory presets and changing the preset doesn't restore the sound - I have to change the "Audio Source" away and back to restore the sound.
Mine Ailey preset issue did start before 2.05. I too sent James a detailed email with my findings and how to replicate the issue, but I never received a response after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back