Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 26, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #12,886 of 16,011
Hi all,

I am not sure where to post this but hopefully this is the best place?

1. I find it very quiet unless you have the volume almost maxxed out (i.e. 90-95), but then it clips during lively scenes and automatically reduces volume (see below). Is it just me, or should I look into using a separate headphone amp? If the latter, are the RCA outputs best?

5. Has anyone tried the PRIRs from 3D Sound Shop? Is there a huge improvement over the supplied two?

Thanks in advance of your help.

Tim
1. I have the 800S and have no problem with the A16 volume. I normally run at volume level 55. Try it with one of the factory presets and see if the volume is still lacking.

5. I have the Genelec 3DSoundShop PRIR. These PRIRs are recorded at 6' distance with little room sound. I sit 10' from my TV and found that the Surrey factory room gave a better illusion of space to my ears. I'm currently using my own PRIR recorded at a 10' distance.

Dec 26, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #12,887 of 16,011
Hi all,

I received my A16 on Thursday after ordering last month and bought an HD800S to give it the best opportunity to shine. Following the microphone measurements, the only Dolby Atmos soundtrack I have been able to try so far has already provided an out of head moment and am keen to start discovering more, but I need some help to overcome issues and set it up properly. (It may be worth adding that I was using a dedicated 7.2 system that loved Reference Level but life has forced headphones to be my primary audio source, hence this purchase, so there could be elements of needing to adjust my expectations...)

1. I find it very quiet unless you have the volume almost maxxed out (i.e. 90-95), but then it clips during lively scenes and automatically reduces volume (see below). Is it just me, or should I look into using a separate headphone amp? If the latter, are the RCA outputs best?

2. As mentioned above, I find that the volume keeps reducing during "loud" scenes. What would cause this? I have been through the manual and settings, but cannot establish a possible cause.

3. Has anyone found a decent 2x 6.35mm balanced cable for the HD800S available in the UK? Does this increase the volume/power handling, or is it a pointless addition?

4. Has anyone integrated with a tactile transducer? How was it? I used to run 2x 18" subs in my cinema so while I do not expect a similar experience, I would not mind giving it a bit of help and taking the LFs away from the headphones...

5. Has anyone tried the PRIRs from 3D Sound Shop? Is there a huge improvement over the supplied two?

Tim
1. I have the HD-800S, it's set at high gain. I listen at 55-56.

2. After confirming gain, you can turn off Auto limiter if you wish in settings, Not recommended.

5. I have 4 PRIR'S from 3dsoundshop, I get very good OOH effect from all of them, I prefer the D&D over all others including the BBC & Surrey . My physical system is 7.2.4 but the location is a compromise ( open on two sides) I don't want to try a prir out of that as the D&Ds on realiser sounds so much better.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #12,888 of 16,011
1. Look closer to manual there are settings to overcome this! By the way, what are your headphones? Low, high, impedance switch on front, did you tried it?
2. Separate headphones amp always work(!) to drive your headphones (only), i.e. amplifier for long sessions (with tubes 300B, 2A3, 45 etc.) are welcome (with big tubes you get even more larger, taller, 3D, soundstage). However, there is no huge difference if I feed Spdif out to Yggdrasil. The DAC implemented in Smyth already works fine! Just Smyth out 2x 6.35mm via balanced cable (or RCA) to Headphones amp. It works best for me.
3. I'm on DIY, but you should look here, since it is your location: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...al-3d-audio-headphone-processor/posts/1952155
4. I did not like it. Worthless in my system.
5. It was worth, quite happy with the results of Bowers & Wilkins 24 Channel PRIR! For my setup it was most uncanny experience. Try to listen website demos.

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #12,889 of 16,011
Hi all,

I received my A16 on Thursday after ordering last month and bought an HD800S to give it the best opportunity to shine. Following the microphone measurements, the only Dolby Atmos soundtrack I have been able to try so far has already provided an out of head moment and am keen to start discovering more, but I need some help to overcome issues and set it up properly. (It may be worth adding that I was using a dedicated 7.2 system that loved Reference Level but life has forced headphones to be my primary audio source, hence this purchase, so there could be elements of needing to adjust my expectations...)

2. As mentioned above, I find that the volume keeps reducing during "loud" scenes. What would cause this? I have been through the manual and settings, but cannot establish a possible cause.

3. Has anyone found a decent 2x 6.35mm balanced cable for the HD800S available in the UK? Does this increase the volume/power handling, or is it a pointless addition?

4. Has anyone integrated with a tactile transducer? How was it? I used to run 2x 18" subs in my cinema so while I do not expect a similar experience, I would not mind giving it a bit of help and taking the LFs away from the headphones...

Tim
Hi Tim. I use the A16 with an external DAC and AMP and also use a tactile sub. Perhaps what I say will be of use to you.

1. I never bothered with the internal DAC/AMP of the A16. I don't thing there's anything wrong with it, per se, in fact it might be pretty darned good. My research indicates it's basically a JTS Atom board which is a very good headphone amp.
2. The Realizer output SPDIF simultaneously with it's other outputs. You can always shunt a processed binauralized signal to an external DAC. I do this and send that signal to an OCTO Dac 8 Pro. The Octo is an 8 channel DAC. I use channels 1-6 for my speaker based system and channels 7-8 as dac for the headphone based system. The Octo is a state of the art DAC, bar none.
3. From the Octo I send via Xlr the two channel analog signal over 20 ft to a THX AAA 789 which amplifies it and provides volume control at my fingertips. I use the XlR out to my SD Modded HD 800's. I purchased the balanced cable for around $65 from a chinese supplier I sound on Ebay. It works absolutely fine, and is a much more sensible purchase than the $300+ Sennheiser wants for its balanced cable. I defy anyone to tell the difference in a double blind level matched comparison.
4. The THX also has a 3/16 TRS out which connects it to my Sub Pac S2 which is my tactile subwoofer. The volume control on the Thx 789 simultaneously controls the output to the HD 800s and the Subpac. I sometimes go with the middle gain setting sometimes with the highest gain setting on the THX, depending on the program material.
5. After careful gain matching the Subpac and the HD800's play together seamlessly. Used together, it seems like I have the extra half octave in the bass which gives lows their tactile feel.
6., My primary listening is done with the 3D Sound Shop D&D PRIR. Mine is a little different from all but two people's (John and another fortunate brother) in that we have in person 24 channel PRIR that were made in Studio on October 10. And yes, even though I have a 4.1 channel LS 50 Meta based speaker system with Octo 8 and Purifi amplification and Dirac Live Multichannel room correction, I still listen more often than not to my 24 channel bespoke D&D 3D Sound Shop Prir. It's that good.

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #12,890 of 16,011
Hi all,

Tim
Increase the gain (toggle switch right next to the headphone jacks). And drop volume to a safe level before you do it.

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #12,891 of 16,011
As others already mentioned: try the higher gain settings if you didn't do that already.
I would most definitely NOT switch off the Auto Limiter.
(The volume control and the Auto Limiter work in the digital domain, the Auto Limiter tries to avoid digital clipping. The gain switches change the gain of the amplifier in the analog domain.)

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #12,892 of 16,011
Please beware that (unless you do a personal PRIR measurement at 3D Sound Shop) this will be different for each individual depending on the match with your personal HRTF so it has no use to ask other people. But you can listen to the demos in 3D Sound Shop.

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #12,893 of 16,011
At what volume setting the clipping starts depends on many things. How loud are the virtual speakers? What frequencies are lifted by how much in the overall process, for example because the measured speakers/room had peaks, or the headphone had dips that needed to be EQd up, what frequencies are present at what level in the input channels? That is why it is hard to predict, if all above combines in an "unlucky" way the clipping starts at a lower volume level.

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #12,894 of 16,011
Please beware that (unless you do a personal PRIR measurement at 3D Sound Shop) this will be different for each individual depending on the match with your personal HRTF so it has no use to ask other people. But you can listen to the demos in 3D Sound Shop.
That is, how well does listening to a demo in a 3D sound shop reflect how well that HRTF matches the individual?
Do I need to connect the A16 to my computer to listen to the demo? Because I haven't received my A16 yet, I didn't feel very amazing with normal headphones connected to the computer.

Dec 27, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #12,895 of 16,011
That is, how well does listening to a demo in a 3D sound shop reflect how well that HRTF matches the individual?
Do I need to connect the A16 to my computer to listen to the demo? Because I haven't received my A16 yet, I didn't feel very amazing with normal headphones connected to the computer.
No you don't need the A16 to listen to the demo, the demo is just recorded A16 output.
But:
-of course you won't have headtracking this way, so that can make the demo less convincing than actually using that PRIR on your A16 with headtracking
-it would be best to use the same headphones as the HPEQ used for the demo was measured with, but even then: HPEQ is also personal so that could be another detrimental factor for the demo

So with the A16 and your personal HPEQ (best: manloud HPEQ) that PRIR will probably sound better then the demo.
But I fear that if the demo doesn't already sound reasonably convincing then it is uncertain at best that that PRIR is going to work really well for you.

Dec 27, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #12,896 of 16,011
These PRIR's are a YMMV situation. In order to do the demo justice, I would suggest using a very good quality headphone, Eq'd as close to the Harman curve as you can get it. And make certain you headphone amp will supply enough power. Sometimes, I think, John has a PRIR taken from two different heads. I was in studio with him when he did the D&D 8C capture, and there were three people who had PRIR's made on that day. John, didn't use my head, but he may have used the other person's head for this offering. I would enquire if I were you. And yes, the demo will sound best if you do a HPEQ of your phones on the A16.

He has several speakers including LS 50 Metas and Genelec 8351's in addition to the D & D's. One of those may be a better fit for you. I wouldn't give up trying.

Dec 29, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #12,897 of 16,011
I bought mine from a fellow headfier who got them from Custom Cans. The „balanced“ setups is in my opinion cleaner and has more power.

Dec 29, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #12,898 of 16,011
I bought mine from a fellow headfier who got them from Custom Cans. The „balanced“ setups is in my opinion cleaner and has more power.
I know that on my THX AAA 789, the balanced outputs put out a lot more power.

Dec 29, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #12,899 of 16,011
Hi all,

Thank you for all the replies. I am embarrassed to admit that it was due to the gain switch being on low (newbie error)! The manual said to ensure it was on the lowest setting when doing the HPEQ, but I then forgot to turn it to high when I had finished. All resolved now, the volume can be sustained... And I am loving this processor!

I am now compiling a long list of Atmos encoded disc upgrades as I am treating myself to a new 4K TV and UHD player so that I can "realise" (oh I do crack myself up...) its full potential.

Thanks as well for the feedback on 3D Sound Shop. I will definitely be giving them a try once I am more used to my A16.

Dec 30, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #12,900 of 16,011
Hi phoenix,

Now that I have sorted out the gain issue, I think it would be best if I do some extensive testing before committing to a further spend. If the A16's amp and DAC are good enough (which to be honest they do seem to be so far), then I may just stick with them. I will be upgrading my dac and Amp for my separate music system in 2022 anyway, so the A16 only handles films.

Good to hear that a tactile transducer works when properly set up though. Getting the balance right is always the difficult part, but equally the most rewarding when you achieve it! I will think about this as a later step if needed, but the audible LFs from the HD800S are quite impressive. I have not watched films with monstrous LFE yet though...

I have read up about it but what difference do in-person PRIRs make? I am probably missing something but I would have thought that the mics will still record what they hear, not what we actually hear, or is the HPEQ somehow involved?

Thanks Richter, I will have a look on their website! Nice to see a UK company providing custom options for a change; import charges are a killer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back