Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 15, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #12,871 of 15,988
How many folks are using firmware 2.05 with DivX? If so, what problems are you encountering, if any.

I tried 2.05 and had lots of problems with it. I didn't know at the time to toggle the switch for "full factory reset" that Stephen clarified.

I'm thinking about trying it again, since I paid for DivX but haven't been able to use it.
I've not had any problems with 2.05 and DTS-X, so far..I did not do the full factory restore as per the new instructions.

Dec 15, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #12,872 of 15,988
How many folks are using firmware 2.05 with DivX? If so, what problems are you encountering, if any.

I tried 2.05 and had lots of problems with it. I didn't know at the time to toggle the switch for "full factory reset" that Stephen clarified.

I'm thinking about trying it again, since I paid for DivX but haven't been able to use it.
You mean 2.05 with DTS:X (not "DivX")?

I am using it. But it was installed by Smyth at their factory while my A16 was in for repair and APM/HDMI upgrade. So the BIOS update and any other "full factory reset" actions were performed by them, not me.

Aside from that I've had no problem listening to DTS:X audio through my presets.

Dec 15, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #12,874 of 15,988
I also think that “DivX” might’ve been a typo in @Camano post.
No problems to report here with 2.05 and DTS:X. I did do the full factory restore. If you choose to go that route then be sure after the full factory restore to turn off the A16 and then turn it back on. As @dsperber has helpfully pointed out, the “About” screen is depopulated with information until the A16 is turned off and then restarted. Also, with DTS:X installed, you get “113…Au” instead of “111…Fe” on the “About” screen.

Dec 16, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #12,876 of 15,988
Please read this excerpt from Schiit Audio CEO Jason Stoddard's recent HeadFi post about challenges that his company had to face in 2021. Then consider that Schiit Audio is a significantly larger company with multiple product offerings and deeper pockets than Smyth Research. No, I am not deliberately trying to be a grinch. And no, I am not an apologist for Smyth Research.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-5713#post-16698550

"Special bonus blather: product delays, supply chain, and exhaustion."

“First the AKM factory fire. That was five products that needed to be completely redesigned--three of them mine. That's a brutal amount of work to add in, just like that. Then the parts shortages, qualifying new parts became a near-weekly thing….”

Dec 16, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #12,877 of 15,988
This is a replied I got from James after emailing him asking if I ever getting my A16:

Hi Leon,

Thanks for getting in touch.

A chip shortage due to COVID 19 has forced us to make new hardware changes. Obtaining new reliable chips is proving to be more difficult than expected as lead times for certain parts range from 30-52 weeks.
Once we have restocked we will start shipping KickStarter and Pre-orders right away. We have every intention in fulfilling the remaining back log of orders and we'll make sure everyone including yourself will get their A16 unit.

Thank you for your continued support and patience

Kind regards
James

cleardot.gif

Dec 18, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #12,882 of 15,988
Quick NOOB question. If a blu ray disc has “ DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1”, will it decide accurately and pleasantly 7.1 even though I don’t have the DTS-X upgrade. I was going to buy some used blu rays and wonder what the A16 will decode the audio well.
It will not decode any flavor of DTS, and if your source sends a DTS soundtrack as a bitstream despite the fact that the EDID doesn't permit that, the result will be silence. If your source can decode DTS, it should send (up to) 7.1 PCM instead. If you haven't explicitly configured it otherwise, that should work automatically.

Dec 18, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #12,883 of 15,988
I happen to have a blu ray disc with dts-ma and it does seem to pass it to PCM on the A16…would the sound be equivalent to listening in Dolby 7.1 then? I am just wondering if it is worth my while to buy discs that only have dts-ma without ponying up for dts-x upgrade

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #12,884 of 15,988
I happen to have a blu ray disc with dts-ma and it does seem to pass it to PCM on the A16…would the sound be equivalent to listening in Dolby 7.1 then? I am just wondering if it is worth my while to buy discs that only have dts-ma without ponying up for dts-x upgrade
All lossless audio tracks should be the same, and it should make no difference if they are sent to the A16 as a bitstream or decoded to PCM, unless they were mixed differently.

Dec 26, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #12,885 of 15,988
Hi all,

I am not sure where to post this but hopefully this is the best place?

I received my A16 on Thursday after ordering last month and bought an HD800S to give it the best opportunity to shine. Following the microphone measurements, the only Dolby Atmos soundtrack I have been able to try so far has already provided an out of head moment and am keen to start discovering more, but I need some help to overcome issues and set it up properly. (It may be worth adding that I was using a dedicated 7.2 system that loved Reference Level but life has forced headphones to be my primary audio source, hence this purchase, so there could be elements of needing to adjust my expectations...)

1. I find it very quiet unless you have the volume almost maxxed out (i.e. 90-95), but then it clips during lively scenes and automatically reduces volume (see below). Is it just me, or should I look into using a separate headphone amp? If the latter, are the RCA outputs best?

2. As mentioned above, I find that the volume keeps reducing during "loud" scenes. What would cause this? I have been through the manual and settings, but cannot establish a possible cause.

3. Has anyone found a decent 2x 6.35mm balanced cable for the HD800S available in the UK? Does this increase the volume/power handling, or is it a pointless addition?

4. Has anyone integrated with a tactile transducer? How was it? I used to run 2x 18" subs in my cinema so while I do not expect a similar experience, I would not mind giving it a bit of help and taking the LFs away from the headphones...

5. Has anyone tried the PRIRs from 3D Sound Shop? Is there a huge improvement over the supplied two?

Thanks in advance of your help.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back