Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 27, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #12,676 of 16,011
not sure we’re discussing the same issue but, for as long as I’ve been using the A16, it’s always been a nightmare to switch sources (in my case going from HDMI4 to optical). I endup having to switch inputs multiple times from the main panel, go to the preset and reload it, switch presets and reload, go back to target preset and reload, go back to front back switch inputs and reload , continue this merry go round until I final hear something.

In some cases, when it really won’t switch, I reboot the unit. In other cases, the unit works on an input (one it works, it works for good), I turn it off, restart it the next day, it’s no longer working on the same input and I end up going back to the procedure above.

Basically, I’ve never found the exact process to make this input switch systematically work (I tried enabling/disabling the input selection from the main panel but that doesn’t help), it feels like the hardware behind isn’t catching all the calls being sent and you need to be lucky for the remote command to actually percolate through the system.
Sounds like basically the same symptoms, but different causes and solutions I think? Once my sound is working after playing the preset game, I’m good. It will work for the duration of my A16 being powered on. It doesn’t seem to exhibit any issues switching inputs, but switching inputs will also not fix the missing sound issue. My issue is at this point 100% repeatable and the solution seems to work 100% of the time.

I also did some more testing as trying to solve issues like this or at least gather as much data as I can about a problem is just kind of my nature. Reloading presets does not bring sound back. However, if I boot my A16 up and preset 16 was the one selected when I powered down last making it the preset the A16 will boot to on the next power on, then I will have sound and don’t have to play the preset switching game. Seems that the “fix” is to always have my A16 load preset 16 whether that’s by switching to it after power up or having preset 16 be the one that loads on power up. I guess for the time being I’ll just setup my most used PRIR on preset 16 to save a little bit of effort when I want to use my A16. An annoying bug no doubt, but at least I know how to work around it. Fingers crossed it’s something the Smyths care to dig into and that if they do they can find a permanent fix.

Oct 28, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #12,677 of 16,011
Ok. Tested this. Switching sources does not fix it, but going to preset 16 always does.
The same finding for my A16 unit. In addition, as I wrote in a previous post, when no sound from headphones occurred, the test function was not working. Even when I pressed the test button on the remote, there was no sound at all. I think that the test function is not related to switching sources.

Oct 28, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #12,678 of 16,011
My problems keep getting worse - now I lose sound when pausing or FF/REW my Tivo and can't get it back without power cycling the A16 - changing presets works sometimes, but not always - and now when changing presets works it's preset 3, not 16!

I reinstalled firmware 2.05 to try to fix this and was surprised that DTS was still enabled, even though the permissions file wasn't on the SD card. So don't' try DTS planning to roll back to vanilla 2.05.

The reinstall didn't fix anything - considering rolling back to 2.0.

Oct 28, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #12,680 of 16,011
I've had my A16 for a few months now which I only use for movies , and here are my observations with it:

- I have a Meze Empyrean connected to it. For spatiality, I get the sense that it sound isn't directly in front of me for the surround speakers, and it is helped a bit by the head tracker, but I don't really feel it surrounds me, let alone hering any elevation. Could it be the headphones? Or does it take time to "get used" to? I only have a stereo speaker setup here.

- The BBC room sounds best to me; I tried some A16 PRIRs off of the google drive but they don't sound good (even after manLOUD), lots of reflections seem to have been recorded. The Surrey room is pretty good as well but it seems to have more reflections than the BBC room (e.g. less sound dampening installed). Should I try some of the A8 PRIRs instead? Or are the 3dsoundshop.com PRIRs comparable/better than the BBC room?

- A flatEQ of the BBC room sounds pretty much identical to me than any manLOUD I try to apply to it. I start with a flatEQ, select the room PRIR, set equal-80, set manSPK to L+C+R and then I try. I can clearly tell I'm EQing the headphones but it doesn't seem to make any difference for spatiality. I do find it quite difficult to match loudness exactly. Am I doing something wrong?

- What is the purpose of the equal-20 and flateq options over the equal-80 when doing a manloud?

- Has anyone else had a similar experience and then had a custom PRIR and HPEQ made - and did that then make all the difference? I'm considering this but it is not cheap nor practical, it'd be a 2-3 day trip to get it done.

Thanks!

Oct 28, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #12,683 of 16,011
The same finding for my A16 unit. In addition, as I wrote in a previous post, when no sound from headphones occurred, the test function was not working. Even when I pressed the test button on the remote, there was no sound at all. I think that the test function is not related to switching sources.
Yes. Forgot to mention I also tested whether the test button would produce sound, and I saw the exact same thing as you. When the no sound issue happens the test button also does not produce sound.

Oct 28, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #12,684 of 16,011
I've had my A16 for a few months now which I only use for movies , and here are my observations with it:

- I have a Meze Empyrean connected to it. For spatiality, I get the sense that it sound isn't directly in front of me for the surround speakers, and it is helped a bit by the head tracker, but I don't really feel it surrounds me, let alone hering any elevation. Could it be the headphones? Or does it take time to "get used" to? I only have a stereo speaker setup here.

- The BBC room sounds best to me; I tried some A16 PRIRs off of the google drive but they don't sound good (even after manLOUD), lots of reflections seem to have been recorded. The Surrey room is pretty good as well but it seems to have more reflections than the BBC room (e.g. less sound dampening installed). Should I try some of the A8 PRIRs instead? Or are the 3dsoundshop.com PRIRs comparable/better than the BBC room?

- A flatEQ of the BBC room sounds pretty much identical to me than any manLOUD I try to apply to it. I start with a flatEQ, select the room PRIR, set equal-80, set manSPK to L+C+R and then I try. I can clearly tell I'm EQing the headphones but it doesn't seem to make any difference for spatiality. I do find it quite difficult to match loudness exactly. Am I doing something wrong?

- What is the purpose of the equal-20 and flateq options over the equal-80 when doing a manloud?

- Has anyone else had a similar experience and then had a custom PRIR and HPEQ made - and did that then make all the difference? I'm considering this but it is not cheap nor practical, it'd be a 2-3 day trip to get it done.

Thanks!
Hi , play this 9.1.6 demo on your realiser . It’s much better than trying to hear it on film soundtracks. It’ll tell you what works and doesn’t . https://www.avsforum.com/threads/dolby-atmos-object-demo.3220387/

Remember to download the file to be played on realiser.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #12,685 of 16,011
I haven't done anything with speakers yet. But are you referring to a manSPK HPEQ, or doing a full async PRIR, e.g. build a listening room by recording my speakers at an angle?
I’m referring to creating multi-speaker PRIRs from one or more loudspeakers as explained by Smyth Research at the following link:

They explained there the main steps to be carried out. Actually, an easier way to carry out PRIR measurements is explained by @audiohobbit in his Post #7,567.

Oct 28, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #12,686 of 16,011
Yes. Forgot to mention I also tested whether the test button would produce sound, and I saw the exact same thing as you. When the no sound issue happens the test button also does not produce sound.
This morning I’ve written a message to Smyth Research to report the weird behaviour of my A16. I’ve mentioned that the test button also does not produce sound. I’ve also written that we are a few owners/users at head-fi.org forum that confront issues and you’ve found a workaround (switch to preset 16 and the back).

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #12,687 of 16,011
- Has anyone else had a similar experience and then had a custom PRIR and HPEQ made - and did that then make all the difference?
Yes, a personal made PRIR and HPEQ make all the difference. Without it it is just a matter of chance and luck whether or not you get reasonable results. BBC etc. don't work for me either, except indeed when moving my head around a lot with headtracking enabled, then the brain gets very strong clues from the correctly adapting interaural time- and level differences.
With your 2 speakers you can measure all the channels. A good personal made PRIR even from a not very good speaker system beats any PRIR/BRIR that doesn't match with your personal Head Related Transfer Function.

Oct 28, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #12,688 of 16,011

Thanks!

The Empyrean might not be the best choice. My own experience is that the most open sounding headphones with plenty of treble energy work best - STAX, HD-800, etc. My closed-back Focal Stellia works ok, but not as well as the more open choices.

If you are looking for a PRIR with no reflections, I strongly recommend picking one up from 3DSoundShop and/or making your own.

Matching loudness in manLoud is very difficult. You are not alone on that. I have not tried it yet, but I'm told one approach is to use equal-20 with the center channel and set the volume for each frequency until you can no longer hear it and then bump it up until you can hear it.

A trick for hearing the 3D effect is to enable Stereo and HPEQ in your Listening Room setting (the new manual covers this). Then you can use the speaker and headphone icon buttons on the remote to toggle the virtualization on/off while keeping the HPEQ. It really helps.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #12,689 of 16,011
The Empyrean might not be the best choice. My own experience is that the most open sounding headphones with plenty of treble energy work best - STAX, HD-800, etc. My closed-back Focal Stellia works ok, but not as well as the more open choices.

Technically the Empyrean is an open back :) I could try switching to the velour pads but that seems like a stretch for it to make any difference.

The only alternatives I have here are the Meze 99 Classics and Ultrasone HFI-780 which are both closed. Would those be better choices? I sure hope not and kind of doubt it, but am willing to try :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back