Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 25, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #12,601 of 16,000
I think to have the most comfort with my files it’s better to have the dts

i paid via PayPal a couple of hours ago. I was just unsure of how the difference will sound. I’m pretty sure that I wound regret it.
This is why I am purchasing DTS. I don’t have many files with DTS:X tracks, but I do have plenty with DTD or DTS-HD. Technically I’ve never had issues with playing these files as the can be converted to PCM, but DTS decoding on the A16 means that I won’t need to transcode anything.

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #12,602 of 16,000
Harry Potter series alone makes DTS-X a must have. One of the best examples of immersive audio mastering.

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #12,603 of 16,000
No. The regular, analog versions (2U and headstand) can be converted to SE, which takes (up to) 5 working days. For Dante, bal or AES versions, you're expected to inquire in advance, presumably nobody has attempted such a conversion yet (and I'd be surprised if anyone ever will request one)
If I had it done, could I feed the output via the spidf out to my dac, or would I have to use the analog out to feed my amp and use the Realiser as a DAC/Preamp?

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #12,604 of 16,000
This is why I am purchasing DTS. I don’t have many files with DTS:X tracks, but I do have plenty with DTD or DTS-HD. Technically I’ve never had issues with playing these files as the can be converted to PCM, but DTS decoding on the A16 means that I won’t need to transcode anything.
I have loads of surround music FLAC files in DTS-HD so it's definitely worth it for me. If they ever achieve Auro 3D certification, I don't know if I will spring for it given how little there is out there in Auro 3D(and I don't anticipate ever having a true Auro 3D PRIR). As I think about it, Auro 3D might be a tough hurdle for the Smyths given the fact that very few people would be willing to pay a high premium for such a niche format.

Also, having a fully hardware and DTS: X upgraded A16 should help if I ever decide to sell it(a reasonable sale price point would be a lower bar for me to hit given that I bought it through Kickstarter).

Oct 25, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #12,608 of 16,000
I assume crosstalk cancellation techniques are used, much like the BACCH devices (http://bacch.com) which are on the market already quite some time (and much more expensive).
This does seem like a convergence with what BAACH is doing. I wonder if it will require some sort of HRIR/HRTF for the speaker system and also head tracking to achieve the full effect.

If it works well definitely a worthwhile upgrade. Hopefully the upgrade path will be kept open indefinitely so later adopters can have the option.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #12,609 of 16,000
I would be surprised if they release for Auro 3D... even on the french site he doesn't even mention Auro 3D anymore..... I think they will start to add more functions going forward like other listening Modes as an example.... here is the frech site.. there is other news on there too...
https://smyth-realiser.fr/
Aura 3D is in the certification phase, as is DTS. It will take a while but I think it will see the light of day in mid-2022.

Oct 25, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #12,611 of 16,000
Auro 3D missed the boat as far as content, so I see no reason to pay extra to have it in my gear (A16 or pre-pro).
DTS:X is close behind, but like others, I have a large collection of ripped DTS and DTS-HD, so likley will pony-up for that upgrade.

Atmos authoring tools are now down to $200 (Apple Logic Pro 10.7) so expect the ammount of Atmos content to explode. You can even mix using Airpod Pro Max with Spatial audio rendering with headtracking.
However, the limitations in the Max crop up, as it does NOT render overheads as well as the A16 will, so it's still good to have the A16 for mastering montoring.

Oct 25, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #12,612 of 16,000
DTS is all ready out and available.... my limited understanding of Aura 3D is the equipment to certify is not available or has a high cost associated with it... I see no reason to have it ....
Auro's primary utility will be as a remixer of Atmos content. There are an great many poor-mediocre Atmos mixes, and an Auro remix offers the potential to drastically upgrade them.

Oct 25, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #12,613 of 16,000
This does seem like a convergence with what BAACH is doing. I wonder if it will require some sort of HRIR/HRTF for the speaker system and also head tracking to achieve the full effect.

If it works well definitely a worthwhile upgrade. Hopefully the upgrade path will be kept open indefinitely so later adopters can have the option.

The patents being extremely vague, the following is mostly conjecture but I am guessing that:
1. Most of the A16 process / processing is unchanged (BRIR + “HPEQ” maybe renamed as “SPEQ” instead)
2. Sole difference is replacing each headphone channel with 2 channels speaker stack, one of the speakers being incharge of removing cross-talk to the other ear (done as part of an SPEQ). This perhaps isn’t needed for headphones where you naturally get well over 20dB of xtlak cancellation already, even with open headphones.
3. The “SPEQ” effectively removes xtlak from each speaker stack (so that L/R stacks respectively drive L/R ears exclusively) + prevents double dipping of HRTF (already baked in the PRIRs…), which is even more critical here than for headphones given the head and torso influence + equalizes out the speaker stack coloration
4. Maybe they’ve added in a 4 ch class D amp to drive the speaker stacks directly from A16?

From the feedback on the french forum, this does seem effective and, if implemented as mentioned above, isn’t one of those fake surround systems with simplified hrtf models etc or poor atmos rendering from add-on satellites bouncing sound off ceiling. As such congrats to Gilles Gerin and the people behind the evolution at AudioXD as this could finally be a practical solution for people wanting an atmos system in their living room without a mountain of ugly dangling boxes at ceiling and side walls. I get annoyed with French arrogance and condescendence (probably would get annoyed at myself if I read my own posts lol 😂), but this is worth a cocorico alright :wink: .

arnaud

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #12,615 of 16,000

Attachments

• E2C4EAFC-3C41-4FD4-A641-250B00775B03.png
    E2C4EAFC-3C41-4FD4-A641-250B00775B03.png
    510.6 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back