Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 13, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #12,211 of 15,986
My guess is that the data, which was collected with beta A-16 hardware and software, is not in a usable form. Perhaps they need to write a conversion tool or maybe the data has some more fundamental issue. Either way, it does not seem likely that we will ever get the files we were promised.
Yes, maybe you're right.
The other thing I fear is that they messed s.th. up with the correlation of E-Mail adresses to PRIR/HPEQ-files.

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #12,212 of 15,986
The actual plan is to allow people that had the demo PRIR/HPEQ files completed at the shows to be able to get them from the Exchange site if it ever gets released... everything seems to have come to a stop for some reason....

Sep 13, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #12,213 of 15,986
Just a head's up.
I've put my A16 and HD800 in the classifieds. UK only

Sep 13, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #12,214 of 15,986
I've emailed the Smyths about this three times over the last few years (!) and have never gotten a reply. I've exchanged emails with the Smyths over a number of other questions/issues and they have generally responded, so the non-response stands out. My guess is that the data, which was collected with beta A-16 hardware and software, is not in a usable form. Perhaps they need to write a conversion tool or maybe the data has some more fundamental issue. Either way, it does not seem likely that we will ever get the files we were promised.
I've emailed James and always received a prompt reply, and my questions covered the gamut from whether the A8 was still supported (it's not), to issues with hardware, software, head tracking, and lost shipments.

Always prompt, always courteous, always professional. My issues with the company concern unmet deliverables (Realiser exchange, web interface, etc), and timliness in order fulfillement, and product ergonomics. Much of those issues, no doubt, stem from cash flow issues on their part.

Sep 13, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #12,215 of 15,986
I've emailed James and always received a prompt reply, and my questions covered the gamut from whether the A8 was still supported (it's not), to issues with hardware, software, head tracking, and lost shipments.

Always prompt, always courteous, always professional. My issues with the company concern unmet deliverables (Realiser exchange, web interface, etc), and timliness in order fulfillement, and product ergonomics. Much of those issues, no doubt, stem from cash flow issues on their part.

I generally get prompt replies from him also. That is why the silence on this one issue stands out.

The actual plan is to allow people that had the demo PRIR/HPEQ files completed at the shows to be able to get them from the Exchange site if it ever gets released... everything seems to have come to a stop for some reason....

That is what they used to say. I wrote Smyth and explained to them that the files had been promised to me by them (in person) and that not having them was spoiling my A-16 experience (to a degree). I requested to get the files ahead of the Exchange website launch since the Exchange is now scaled back and delayed indefinitely. No reply.

After I had my measurement made at CanJam (2017 maybe?), I asked them several times if they were certain it would ship with my unit. I was concerned because I saw that it was a lot of effort and expense for A-8 owners to get them and that was my main hesitation in buying an A-16. They all but laughed in my face at my supposedly trivial concerns and repeatedly assured me that I would get the files. So, even providing the files only on the Exchange, years after my A-16 was shipped to me, was a bit of a betrayal, but now since the Exchange is probably never coming it really stinks.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #12,216 of 15,986
I have on at least two prior occasions emailed James, offering to pay for my CanJam 2017 PRIR. He was right on top of it when I was trying(successfully) to get UK Customs refund me for fees related to shipping my A16 back to Ireland for a hardware upgrade. He has not, however, responded to my emails related to my PRIR. My email address has not changed from what it was in 2017, and Smyth Research definitely has my name and email address linked via my previous emails.

Sep 13, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #12,217 of 15,986
I know Smyth Research promised some kind of BRIR customization which involved buying a speaker with a tweeter from them, creating some kind of file which you would send to them, and then have them send some kind of adjustment file to, I think, universally personalize all BRIRs to your individual HRTF.
No, you measure a "low quality" PRIR, and it is possible to that with only a tweeter (because the hrtf differences between individuals will mainly be in the higher frequency range I think). Smyth then (was the plan) can use this PRIR to personalize a high quality non-personal PRIR (BRIR) meaning they create a new PRIR from the first 2 PRIRs that combines the high quality room+speaker sound with a better match to your personal hrtf.
I'm wondering if that was just a version of ManLoud or something different, apart from and better than ManLoud?
I don't think so. First of all the ManLoud requires your input about what you subjectively think sounds equally loud to you, and what Smyth wants to do is an automated process. Second the ManLoud is effectively changing the HPEQ, applying some additional EQ to the two headphone channels only. The processing of the PRIRs will involve changes to the actual room impulse responses, per virtual speaker, per lookangle, per ear. It would boil down to applying additional EQ per virtual speaker, per lookangle, per ear. (And hence, if it works, has much more potential than a ManLoud). I suspect they will try to isolate the direct sound portion of your personal "low-quality" PRIR, by looking at what happens first in the impulses (direct sound will arrive first) because that will not be influenced by the room - for higher frequencies at least - only by the frequency response of the speaker (maybe the use of their specific tweeter is required of which they know the frequency response).

Sep 13, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #12,218 of 15,986
And try this settings;

4,7khz about -1 ~ -3db
5,0khz - 6,1khz about -2 ~ -5db
6,5khz - 7,3khz about -8 ~ -13db or more
7,6khz about -1 ~ -3db
This should give u some wider and more infront sound.

I tend to say no. This may give YOU some wider and more infront sound, but for another person things may be wildly different.
You can't make a general rule here I'd say.
No indeed, this is the whole point why we need personalisation, because it does not work the same for everyone!

Sep 13, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #12,219 of 15,986
Did you find any general tips and ways to master and understand deeply the manloud HPEQ to share with the community and specially for the ones who still didn t get a chance to have any proper PRIRs yet?
So My findings are like CaptainFunk and the video mention, I dont fret over the higher bands much, second one needs to keep going back and forth on the bands pretty quickly to verify the eq. Third and most important I try get the centering on the bands first before working on the equal volume.
So my workflow is quickly get centering with HP A and Hp B volume control (some bands centering is pretty off and I think fixing this is critical to getting the best out of a foreign prir) then go through the bands to adjust the volume. I do man loud with L&R speakers
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #12,220 of 15,986
I have on at least two prior occasions emailed James, offering to pay for my CanJam 2017 PRIR. He was right on top of it when I was trying(successfully) to get UK Customs refund me for fees related to shipping my A16 back to Ireland for a hardware upgrade. He has not, however, responded to my emails related to my PRIR. My email address has not changed from what it was in 2017, and Smyth Research definitely has my name and email address linked via my previous emails.

So you had pretty much the same idea.

I've emailed the Smyths about this three times over the last few years (!) and have never gotten a reply. I've exchanged emails with the Smyths over a number of other questions/issues and they have generally responded, so the non-response stands out. My guess is that the data, which was collected with beta A-16 hardware and software, is not in a usable form. Perhaps they need to write a conversion tool or maybe the data has some more fundamental issue. Either way, it does not seem likely that we will ever get the files we were promised.

If it is not only me who is not getting no answer about this but everybody else too, it is obviously impossible for them to fulfill their promise.

I generally get prompt replies from him also. That is why the silence on this one issue stands out.

That is what they used to say. I wrote Smyth and explained to them that the files had been promised to me by them (in person) and that not having them was spoiling my A-16 experience (to a degree). I requested to get the files ahead of the Exchange website launch since the Exchange is now scaled back and delayed indefinitely. No reply.

After I had my measurement made at CanJam (2017 maybe?), I asked them several times if they were certain it would ship with my unit. I was concerned because I saw that it was a lot of effort and expense for A-8 owners to get them and that was my main hesitation in buying an A-16. They all but laughed in my face at my supposedly trivial concerns and repeatedly assured me that I would get the files. So, even providing the files only on the Exchange, years after my A-16 was shipped to me, was a bit of a betrayal, but now since the Exchange is probably never coming it really stinks.
I feel the betrayal too, since I drove all the way from Germany by car to get my measurements taken by them at the Paris show. I had already backed the A16 and there was no need for me to go there. As I had to take my whole family and we had to stay over night, it all was easily an investment around 500 EUR. I have to say, while I love the A16 I sometimes get very angry about what happened and how it happened. But then I might remember how Ossic X screwed me over and how I was telling people in the Kickstarter group that things were going south, but no one believed me. At least I got the A16 and can enjoy it everyday.

Sep 13, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #12,221 of 15,986
I feel the betrayal too, since I drove all the way from Germany by car to get my measurements taken by them at the Paris show. I had already backed the A16 and there was no need for me to go there. As I had to take my whole family and we had to stay over night, it all was easily an investment around 500 EUR. I have to say, while I love the A16 I sometimes get very angry about what happened and how it happened. But then I might remember how Ossic X screwed me over and how I was telling people in the Kickstarter group that things were going south, but no one believed me. At least I got the A16 and can enjoy it everyday.

I think I have been super patient with the Smyth's and overall give them the benefit of the doubt because I very much want them to succeed. This one issue really gets me angry though. I've already had had my A16 for two years, so those that are still waiting have much bigger issues, of course.

Sep 13, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #12,222 of 15,986
I've asked them if they'd accept pre-orders for a DTS license, also no answer. They don't want out money, at least not now.

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #12,223 of 15,986
No, you measure a "low quality" PRIR, and it is possible to that with only a tweeter (because the hrtf differences between individuals will mainly be in the higher frequency range I think). Smyth then (was the plan) can use this PRIR to personalize a high quality non-personal PRIR (BRIR) meaning they create a new PRIR from the first 2 PRIRs that combines the high quality room+speaker sound with a better match to your personal hrtf.

I don't think so. First of all the ManLoud requires your input about what you subjectively think sounds equally loud to you, and what Smyth wants to do is an automated process. Second the ManLoud is effectively changing the HPEQ, applying some additional EQ to the two headphone channels only. The processing of the PRIRs will involve changes to the actual room impulse responses, per virtual speaker, per lookangle, per ear. It would boil down to applying additional EQ per virtual speaker, per lookangle, per ear. (And hence, if it works, has much more potential than a ManLoud). I suspect they will try to isolate the direct sound portion of your personal "low-quality" PRIR, by looking at what happens first in the impulses (direct sound will arrive first) because that will not be influenced by the room - for higher frequencies at least - only by the frequency response of the speaker (maybe the use of their specific tweeter is required of which they know the frequency response).
What you are saying, I think, is they are able to extract my HRTF from a personal PRIR and modify some other person's PRIR (a BRIR to me) to have it use my HRTF. Would be great if they ever got it off the ground.

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #12,224 of 15,986
I've asked them if they'd accept pre-orders for a DTS license, also no answer. They don't want out money, at least not now.
FWIW I heard from James that they expect the DTS certification to complete within 30 days or so. This was around mid last month. I guess that probably won't immediately translate to a new firmware release even if it does complete, though. We'll see. Great guys but not the best at estimating anything time related. I'm quite confident they will eventually deliver though.

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #12,225 of 15,986
FWIW I heard from James that they expect the DTS certification to complete within 30 days or so. This was around mid last month. I guess that probably won't immediately translate to a new firmware release even if it does complete, though. We'll see. Great guys but not the best at estimating anything time related. I'm quite confident they will eventually deliver though.
What about Auro 3D btw?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back