Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 11, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #12,181 of 15,986
one of the biggest issue with the A16 is that its very hard to convey just how good movies/music sounds coming out of those headphones when plugged into the A16... its an amazing piece of equipment... the learning curve is massive but you get to tune your headphones into something they were never intended to sound so good...

Sep 11, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #12,183 of 15,986
After 1.5 years and over 1000 manLoud / manspk changes, I finally know how to change something on the frequency band so that the sound is the way I want it to be...💀
yep.... takes some practice.... most people feel the HD800 is a bass light headphone... with the A16 I have played around with the settings I have actually gotten the bass so strong I was afraid they were going to self destruct.... obviously you don't ever want to run them that way... but you can tune them to sound very very good... so with that in mind some of the neutral tuned headphones should be a perfect match to the A16... I would love to be able to tune the DCA Stealth with the A16.... :)

Sep 11, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #12,186 of 15,986
Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #12,187 of 15,986
Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #12,188 of 15,986
Awesome... Lol... Just awesome.

Did you get one?
Just bought one. Sometimes you have to think outside the box. Next thing I'm thinking about is buying one of those $25 webcams from Amazon, pointing it directly at my 2" X 3" dashboard window on my A16, connecting it via usb to my home theater PC, then just going to the webcam app on my taskbar, calling it up, and having my entire 55" TV be my dashboard. Would have been better if the Smyths had provided a way of just mirroring that window to my PC via usb or HDMI, but I think this will work as well, and alleviate my all time pet peeve with the A16.

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #12,189 of 15,986
My good ideas usually come long after I am finished and all packed up. 🤪

Congrats

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #12,190 of 15,986
Hello everyone, new member here. I've tried various software solutions on PC and I am looking at the Smyth Realiser. My current best solution is Waves NX with their head tracking device at a total cost of around $80 USD. This is sufficient to separate all surround channels. I am using various headphones but the effect seems to be stable and consistent across all of them.

My question here is whether the Smyth Realiser has added to your experiences enough to justify the purchase cost (purely in terms of value to the consumer, not to the development of the technology as a whole). My idealized setup would be a Sennheiser HD 800 S and sufficient amp (about $2000 USD) or substitute electrostatic headphone and amp of comparable cost and the Smyth Realiser A16 at around $6000 total. Would any of you say that this setup is around 75x the value of my current setup? Or logarithmically corrected for diminishing gains, would it be worth around 8x the value? I have to ask the community because there is no way for me to demo these items whatsoever.

If any of you have also tried the Audeze Mobius and used any combination of the above, I would ask you also what you think of that as an intermediate solution. They tout a 1000 hz or 1 ms tracking rate but that seems a little far-fetched. I assume the Waves NX DSP processing on that would sound the same as with their PC software.

I have the NX setup with head tracker, The Audeze Möbius, and Apple AirPods Max with Atmos & Spatial audio.
One cannot truly compare the realiser with the above solutions. My personal experience is Realiser emulates a complex speaker system very well. The others do surround well but it still feels like you are listening to your headphones.
I own the Audeze Mobius and also the Airpods Pro with spatial audio.
There is just no comparison to what the Smyth Realiser A16 does, as long as you have done your own PRIR and HPEQ.
I can only agree to what @Thomasphoenix98 wrote. So true. And I only use the A16 in a 2 channel mode for music. It is just like listening to very good speakers.

Sep 12, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #12,192 of 15,986
I own the Audeze Mobius and also the Airpods Pro with spatial audio.
There is just no comparison to what the Smyth Realiser A16 does, as long as you have done your own PRIR and HPEQ.
I can only agree to what @Thomasphoenix98 wrote. So true. And I only use the A16 in a 2 channel mode for music. It is just like listening to very good speakers.

I was convinced that you definitely need to do your own measurements to fully enjoy the A16, but the PRIRs from @Litlgi74 (3dsoundshop.com) convinced me otherwise. With a bit of manLoud tweaking, the results are absolutely stunning and I don't feel like I will ever need to do my own measurements. Disclaimer, I am in no way connected to @Litlgi74's business, I am just super excited about my purchases :).

Sep 12, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #12,193 of 15,986
I was convinced that you definitely need to do your own measurements to fully enjoy the A16, but the PRIRs from @Litlgi74 (3dsoundshop.com) convinced me otherwise. With a bit of manLoud tweaking, the results are absolutely stunning and I don't feel like I will ever need to do my own measurements. Disclaimer, I am in no way connected to @Litlgi74's business, I am just super excited about my purchases :).
The manloud process took a bit of time for me to understand at an instinctive level, but once I got the hang of it I’m now super fast at tweaking Prirs. And 3DSoundshop ones are spectacular.
unfortunately I have only my mid end 7.2.4 system in a non ideal room to capture and I don’t think my prir will match a treated studio prir with such high end speakers as Johns.

Sep 12, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #12,195 of 15,986
Has anyone received a kickstarter/preorder since last December (2020)?

I'm excited about the 3D sound shop offerings and am considering anteing up full price on an A16 as an early Christmas present for myself.

(Side question for John - any news on the Dutch&Dutch PRIRs?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back