Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 21, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #12,107 of 15,989
As promised... The www.3dsoundshop.com website is live!

I am very anxious to get your feedback.

Enjoy
If the simulation would work for me, prices would be fair.
But they do not.
Sounds nothing like the PRIR I did in 2019 with my own Focal 2 way speakers with the help of @sander99 and these work for 2.0 perfectly.

If you allow two remarks:
a) show the room you used for the measurements
b) show and tell what head and torso you used to create the PRIR

All the best with the shop.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #12,108 of 15,989
But they do not.
Sounds nothing like the PRIR I did in 2019 with my own Focal 2 way speakers with the help of @sander99 and these work for 2.0 perfectly.

Glad you have a working PRIR. The Realiser is magical when you do.

Most of the images of the studio are in my dedicated thread. But here are few:

This is the recording studio during it's daily use.

1629586946314_C_Room.jpeg

This is the same room when I was using it.

Screenshot_20210821-191349_Gallery.jpg20210614_010524.jpg
20210606_114405.jpg
20210627_195344.jpg

The head and torso used to create the PRIRs was my own.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #12,109 of 15,989
I am super happy with my purchase! I have been listening to all my favorite tracks on the Genelec Prir. Thank you for all the hard work John.

Aug 22, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #12,110 of 15,989
Glad you have a working PRIR. The Realiser is magical when you do.

Most of the images of the studio are in my dedicated thread. But here are few:

This is the recording studio during it's daily use.

1629586946314_C_Room.jpeg

This is the same room when I was using it.

Screenshot_20210821-191349_Gallery.jpg20210614_010524.jpg
20210606_114405.jpg
20210627_195344.jpg

The head and torso used to create the PRIRs was my own.
Great pictures. Why don’t you put them on the website?

Aug 22, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #12,111 of 15,989
Great pictures. Why don’t you put them on the website?
Thanks... But the photos do not share in the overall look I was trying to achieve on the website... That is why I posted them here and in the dedicated thread.

Aug 22, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #12,112 of 15,989
After many months of creating PRIRs, testing, making demos, demos, and more demos for my website. My A16 has finally made found its way back to my hifi rack.

20210821_161813.jpg

I have dreamed about a device like the A16 ever since I got into the home theater hobby. And now I have one. I am very grateful to the Smyth's for not giving up on their dreams and passions to create such a truly magical box. The machine is not without quicks... but once set up correctly... no other device can come close to the virtual sound the Realiser can produce.

For the first time in a while, and without interruption (kids, lol)... I was able to watch an Atmos film from start to finish. Wow!!! If you haven't seen Ford v Ferrari. It is worth your time. The soundtrack is remarkable. I love when the sound blows past both your ears, or comes out of nowhere from a far off corner. The are also scenes where the audio can be followed around the speakers... I LOVE THAT! If the film isn't on your must listen list... add it... and move it to the top.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #12,113 of 15,989
For the first time in a while, and without interruption (kids, lol)... I was able to watch an Atmos film from start to finish. Wow!!! If you haven't seen Ford v Ferrari. It is worth your time. The soundtrack is remarkable. I love when the sound blows past both your ears, or comes out of nowhere from a far off corner. The are also scenes where the audio can be followed around the speakers... I LOVE THAT! If the film isn't on your must listen list... add it... and move it to the top.

Haha. I was actually considering mentioning that film too. Just a few days ago when I finally managed to make a really good PRIR for myself, I actually used chapter 25 of that film as a demo for not only myself, but for the two friends I made PRIRs for as well. The entire movie is really great for sound, but that scene in particular has it all in terms of dynamics. I was only listening to it in 7.1, but even with just that it's fantastic.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #12,114 of 15,989
Haha. I was actually considering mentioning that film too. Just a few days ago when I finally managed to make a really good PRIR for myself, I actually used chapter 25 of that film as a demo for not only myself, but for the two friends I made PRIRs for as well. The entire movie is really great for sound, but that scene in particular has it all in terms of dynamics. I was only listening to it in 7.1, but even with just that it's fantastic.
You should also check out "Formula One: Drive to Survive" which is in Atmos on Netflix. First thing I tested my 16 channel PRIR on, and, yeah, wow.

Aug 24, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #12,115 of 15,989
But they do not.

@Litlgi74 kindly created two audio files for me using his Genelic PRIR but enhancing it with my personal HD800 HPEQ (without manLoud).
This is a new serivce he is offering https://3dsoundshop.com/product/personalized-demo-hpeq/ and I was one of his beta testers.
The difference was amazing and listening through my HD800 was very enjoyable. So I will have to do a little bit more testing but I am on the fence of buying one or two of his PRIR).

Aug 24, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #12,116 of 15,989
@Litlgi74 kindly created two audio files for me using his Genelic PRIR but enhancing it with my personal HD800 HPEQ (without manLoud).
This is a new serivce he is offering https://3dsoundshop.com/product/personalized-demo-hpeq/ and I was one of his beta testers.
The difference was amazing and listening through my HD800 was very enjoyable. So I will have to do a little bit more testing but I am on the fence of buying one or two of his PRIR).

How does that even work without manLOUD in terms of spatialization? I was under the impression that HPEQs won't really make that much of a difference alone in that regard, and that they primarily are used to remove some of tonal characteristics of the headphones, so that you are left mostly hearing just the speakers. I thought manLOUD is what helped more to somewhat normalize PRIRs from other sources.

I'd try it out myself, but can't really put any similar files to use until the A16s start shipping again.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #12,117 of 15,989
How does that even work without manLOUD in terms of spatialization? I was under the impression that HPEQs won't really make that much of a difference alone in that regard, and that they primarily are used to remove some of tonal characteristics of the headphones, so that you are left mostly hearing just the speakers. I thought manLOUD is what helped more to somewhat normalize PRIRs from other sources.

I'd try it out myself, but can't really put any similar files to use until the A16s start shipping again.
I agree that manLOUD was mandatory for me to have the virtualization sound tonally correct and spatially convincing. My understanding of it is that the HPEQ does what you say while the manLOUD attempts to correct for installation effect of the in-ear mics used for both PRIR and HPEQ recordings (mainly because the HRTFs with closed vs open ear canal deviate drastically in the upper mids / treble region).

It feels like this has been discussed already but … I forgot :wink:

Aug 25, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #12,120 of 15,989

I guess @Litlgi74 might be the person to comment on this.
My personal guess is that in headphones like the HD800 your earshape also shifts tonality etc., like a fraction of the full HRTF (no torso, no head, only closefield ears). If the HPEQ (HRTF) is right, your mind has it easier to accept the PRIR from a different person. Just my 2 cents.
Anyhow @Litlgi74 insisted I gave him my HD800 HPEQ without manLOUD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back