Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 29, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #12,032 of 15,989
I have a TV connected to the A16's HDMI video pass-through, if that's what you mean. But that hasn't changed.

Edit: Just for kicks, I disconnected my TV from the video pass-through and... problem solved! The computer and A16 communicated fine, and I was able to listen to music. As soon as I reconnect the TV to the video pass-through, the problem immediately starts again. So maybe when the pass-through is connected, the Macbook knows that and doesn't know what to do with what is essentially a DAC connected to a TV? Anyway, I'm glad I figured it out, but it will be a pain connecting and disconnected the pass-through all the time.
Same here I can not connect my a16 to the earc chanel on my lg oled 2019.... e9... don't work has well.

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #12,033 of 15,989
Are they to the preorders yet? I'm preorder 89

Jul 30, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #12,035 of 15,989
As the latest firmware (rev. 2.00 Jun 08 2021) brought a composite PRIR builder application, I’ve extracted 15 virtual speakers from my previously measured PRIRs that were stored in the A16’s internal directory and created a new 9.0.6 channel PRIR file consisting of L, R, C, Lw, Rw, Lss, Rss, Lb, Rb, Ltf, Rtf, Ltm, Rtm, Ltr and Rtr speakers.

The virtual speakers were generated by measuring a system consisting of two KEF R3 speakers, stereo amplifier, SVS-2000 subwoofer and miniDSP DDRC-24 device for room correction with subwoofer integration (high pass and low pass crossover filters set to 80 Hz). The PRIR measurements were carried out in line with the proposed procedure of @audiohobbit.

There is no virtual subwoofer in my composite PRIR file because I suspect that something went wrong during the separate PRIR measurement of my subwoofer and that adversely affected the sound in the listening room. A PRIR for a virtual subwoofer can be taken from the factory PRIRs inside the Realiser A16.

Prior to building the new composite PRIR, I enabled denoise for each virtual speaker and changed azimuth angles (Azi) for Lb and Rb speakers.

In November 2020, when I shared my PRIR files, there were complaints of higher level of distortion heard. To avoid damages to other people, I took down the folder with my PRIRs.

Now, I’d like to share the resulted composite PRIR file that can be used for building a Dolby Atmos listening room. As the composite file has no PRIR of my subwoofer included, I think that there will be no more distortions. Anyhow, start listening with the volume at a lower setting and on low gain.

I've uploaded my composite PRIR file to @Rene Lou's google drive

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O9vvj7fa-CiXVVoR0LCyRB9EFtsZMBo2?usp=sharing

Please write back here about your experience with my composite PRIR. Also, don’t forget that most probably you’ll need to use the manLOUD method of the A16 to adjust my composite PRIR and use your own personal HPEQ of your headphones.

Jul 30, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #12,036 of 15,989
As the latest firmware (rev. 2.00 Jun 08 2021) brought a composite PRIR builder application, I’ve extracted 15 virtual speakers from my previously measured PRIRs that were stored in the A16’s internal directory and created a new 9.0.6 channel PRIR file consisting of L, R, C, Lw, Rw, Lss, Rss, Lb, Rb, Ltf, Rtf, Ltm, Rtm, Ltr and Rtr speakers.

The virtual speakers were generated by measuring a system consisting of two KEF R3 speakers, stereo amplifier, SVS-2000 subwoofer and miniDSP DDRC-24 device for room correction with subwoofer integration (high pass and low pass crossover filters set to 80 Hz). The PRIR measurements were carried out in line with the proposed procedure of @audiohobbit.

There is no virtual subwoofer in my composite PRIR file because I suspect that something went wrong during the separate PRIR measurement of my subwoofer and that adversely affected the sound in the listening room. A PRIR for a virtual subwoofer can be taken from the factory PRIRs inside the Realiser A16.

Prior to building the new composite PRIR, I enabled denoise for each virtual speaker and changed azimuth angles (Azi) for Lb and Rb speakers.

In November 2020, when I shared my PRIR files, there were complaints of higher level of distortion heard. To avoid damages to other people, I took down the folder with my PRIRs.

Now, I’d like to share the resulted composite PRIR file that can be used for building a Dolby Atmos listening room. As the composite file has no PRIR of my subwoofer included, I think that there will be no more distortions. Anyhow, start listening with the volume at a lower setting and on low gain.

I've uploaded my composite PRIR file to @Rene Lou's google drive

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O9vvj7fa-CiXVVoR0LCyRB9EFtsZMBo2?usp=sharing

Please write back here about your experience with my composite PRIR. Also, don’t forget that most probably you’ll need to use the manLOUD method of the A16 to adjust my composite PRIR and use your own personal HPEQ of your headphones.
So how do you like your prir? Is there anything you would want to do differently if you take a second set with those same speakers. Since you have an SB2000, do you plan to re-do a prir of it and add it to your 9.0.6 room? Seems like low hanging fruit to me. I used my SB 2000 to both create large speakers with my LS 50s AND also to create a LFE channel by also recording the sub separately. Seemed to work for me, and I'd encourage anyone with a sub to extend the range of their small speakers AND use it as an LFE both.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #12,037 of 15,989
To answer your questions, I’d say that the result of my PRIR measurements is satisfactory, except that for the LFE channel by recording the subwoofer separately. To do that measurement, I muted the two speakers, but I don’t know why I couldn’t hear the sweep for the SW. If I connected the SW to line output 3-4 of A16, set up a new preset in miniDSP only for the LPF at 120 Hz, then I could hear the sweep for the SW. However, the PRIR for LFE affected the sound in the listening room badly. After I replaced my PRIR for the subwoofer with one that is inside the Realiser A16, the distortions vanished.

For me, another set of PRIR measurements with the same speaker setup is conditioned by getting custom-made adapters for my tripod stands. Previously, for the PRIRs corresponding to the ceiling mounted speakers, I used the top of a bookcase that is roughly 2 metres height. Also, I’d pay some more attention to recording the subwoofer separately as LFE.

Jul 31, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #12,038 of 15,989
To answer your questions, I’d say that the result of my PRIR measurements is satisfactory, except that for the LFE channel by recording the subwoofer separately. To do that measurement, I muted the two speakers, but I don’t know why I couldn’t hear the sweep for the SW. If I connected the SW to line output 3-4 of A16, set up a new preset in miniDSP only for the LPF at 120 Hz, then I could hear the sweep for the SW. However, the PRIR for LFE affected the sound in the listening room badly. After I replaced my PRIR for the subwoofer with one that is inside the Realiser A16, the distortions vanished.

For me, another set of PRIR measurements with the same speaker setup is conditioned by getting custom-made adapters for my tripod stands. Previously, for the PRIRs corresponding to the ceiling mounted speakers, I used the top of a bookcase that is roughly 2 metres height. Also, I’d pay some more attention to recording the subwoofer separately as LFE.
Some members have talked about needing to always take PRIRs with at least two speakers. For some reason when only one speaker is measured, the results turn out badly, You could just mute only one of the speakers, then give the unmuted full range second channel a label you will not be using in any of your listening rooms. That way when you assemble your 16-24 channel listening rooms it won't be picked up anyway.

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #12,039 of 15,989
Finally decided to try fitting the A8 mics with the Dekoni bullets. They aren't really good for those mics, so I am assuming the A16 has much narrower and shorter mics compared to the A8, because it was a PITA to get those mics into the blue colored inner cylinder, which is what I thought: much harder than the surrounding foam. After mostly getting them in, the actual mic part was not flush with the back of the bullet, and while I could get them in my ears, they didn't feel quite as secure as the generic yellow foam cylinders that Smyth sent me three packs of. 😭

In the event that I ever end up having to actually use the mics with the A16, I guess I'll have them for that at least, but I still don't have a better solution for the A8 mics right now.

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #12,040 of 15,989
So I picked up a pair of cheap $20 Koss KSC75 clip-ons just to use as a "beater" headphone that I can use while sleeping (noise helps me sleep, lol, so I usually have some show playing or a Twitch stream).

Figured I would give these things a whirl on the A16 for the hell of it, why not?

Actually managed to run a HPEQ with them quite easily and to my surprise, they actually sound GREAT! haha. I can very easily use these as my main for gaming if I wanted to from now on as the sensation of having no headphones on is pretty nice. So far in my experience, headphones that aren't really meant to have gobs of bass actually do quite well with the A16 and the surround effect on these is surpisingly as good as any other full sized can.

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #12,041 of 15,989
Asking for a friend who has recently got an A16-Realiser . He has a constant hum on HP-1 , Hp-2 is fine. What could be wrong ?

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #12,042 of 15,989
Asking for a friend who has recently got an A16-Realiser . He has a constant hum on HP-1 , Hp-2 is fine. What could be wrong ?
Check if the signal is ok at the spdif output of user A.
If there is no hum there then we know the hum is caused in the analog part.

Aug 4, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #12,043 of 15,989
Check if the signal is ok at the spdif output of user A.
If there is no hum there then we know the hum is caused in the analog part.
Did he pay full retail for it? If so, then he definitely deserves to have customer service take care of his issue and make it right at no cost to him.

Aug 4, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #12,044 of 15,989
Did he pay full retail for it? If so, then he definitely deserves to have customer service take care of his issue and make it right at no cost to him.
Except that as far as I know he would have to pay for shipping to Smyth (and Smyth would pay for shipping back).
Or if his friend lives in India (like @Thomasphoenix98 does according to his profile) and bought it from "realiser.in" (?) maybe they can help him.

But trying to do some diagnostics first, maybe even solve the problem, before sending his beloved A16 half way across the world without knowing when (and if ever) it will be back seems like a good idea to me.

Aug 4, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #12,045 of 15,989
He did pay full price and bought it from realiser.in, I believe Aernoud does address repairs in India, in a different city to mine and my friend Rajeev. We are in Bangalore, Aernoud in Mumbai.
The noise-hum is present even in realiser test playback, only on Hp-A. He is using HDMI-1 with an Apple TV, I am almost certain there is a hardware fault.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back