Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 8, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #11,881 of 16,011
As part of his post #11,875, @Richter Di wrote an excerpt from the release notes for Firmware (rev. 2.00 Jun 08 2021):

“In summary, once the A16 firmware 2.00 installation has completed and you have run the factory restore, plug the head tracker you wish to update into the User A HT socket. Navigate to settings>system>HT settings. Go down to ‘Update HT firmware’ and press enter to begin. On completion navigate to settings>update/about to confirm the new HT firmware revision has been installed. Alternatively, return to the speaker map page for user A and press the HT key.”

I think it’s pretty clear: …… once the A16 firmware 2.00 installation has completed and you have run the factory restore, plug the head tracker…….

By following that requirement, I’ve successfully installed the HT firmware with the 2.0 firmware.

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #11,882 of 16,011
Well, tried a bit of everything like re install the 2.0 firmware and tried HT firmware update before the factory reset but still nothing ..it says no updated file found in the sd card for the HT firmware...
Anyone who has successfully installed the HT firmware with the 2.0 firmware yet?

Yes I was able to update the HT firmware without issue the first or second day the 2.0 firmware was released. I installed the 2.0 A16 firmware, did a full factory restore, plugged in my head tracker and updated it after the restore completed.

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #11,883 of 16,011
Yes I was able to update the HT firmware without issue the first or second day the 2.0 firmware was released. I installed the 2.0 A16 firmware, did a full factory restore, plugged in my head tracker and updated it after the restore completed.
I ve done the same procedure without success...do you need to wait for your HT to settle down (green light) before updating its firmware?

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #11,884 of 16,011
I ve done the same procedure without success...do you need to wait for your HT to settle down (green light) before updating its firmware?

Pretty certain mine had a red light when it updated. I literally just plugged it into the HT port waited maybe 5 seconds, and then went into the head tracker menu on the A16 and hit update.

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #11,885 of 16,011
I didn't have any problem updating the two trackers after updating to FW.2.0 and factory restore, I had both red light on top.

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #11,887 of 16,011
I think it’s pretty clear: …… once the A16 firmware 2.00 installation has completed and you have run the factory restore, plug the head tracker…….

By following that requirement, I’ve successfully installed the HT firmware with the 2.0 firmware.
Ah, last night I re-read the section called "A16 Firmware update procedure" and there they don't mention this. Instead they mention it somewhere in the second half of the pages long section "New features".

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #11,889 of 16,011
So the steps are : Firmware 2.0 installed then factory reset then factory restore then HT firmware?
Firmware 2.0 installed then factory restore (‘Settings’===>‘Restore factory setup’===>'full restore') then HT firmware.

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #11,890 of 16,011
I'm trying to get around the fact that the A16 apparently doesn't pass through HDR. My 4K HDR10 TV has a USB 2.0 audio output. Could I connect my Xbox, etc., to my TV (thus getting 4K and HDR) and output Atmos via USB to the A16's USB 2.0 input? I know that would limit me to 16 channels, but I'd rather have HDR and 16 channels than no HDR and 24 channels. I don't think a splitter will work because, to my understanding, the splitter will detect that the A16 doesn't support HDR and thus won't send HDR to the TV either.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #11,891 of 16,011
I'm trying to get around the fact that the A16 apparently doesn't pass through HDR. My 4K HDR10 TV has a USB 2.0 audio output. Could I connect my Xbox, etc., to my TV (thus getting 4K and HDR) and output Atmos via USB to the A16's USB 2.0 input? I know that would limit me to 16 channels, but I'd rather have HDR and 16 channels than no HDR and 24 channels. I don't think a splitter will work because, to my understanding, the splitter will detect that the A16 doesn't support HDR and thus won't send HDR to the TV either.
I am not a shill for this company or product..

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtOKnlp

But I think this will do what you need... Just use the Realiser for audio only.. run one of the outputs from the splitter to the Realiser... You should be all set .. works for me

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #11,892 of 16,011
I am not a shill for this company or product..

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtOKnlp

But I think this will do what you need... Just use the Realiser for audio only.. run one of the outputs from the splitter to the Realiser... You should be all set .. works for me
Thanks. So am I wrong in thinking that a splitter will downgrade the video for all connected devices to suit whichever device supports the lowest video quality? That would be the A16 in this case, since I believe it's doesn't support HDR.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #11,893 of 16,011
Yes.. for this device.. you would be wrong in your thinking.

It appears to be the identical device sold on AliExpress... but on Amazon with free returns

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CKZR52G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_67HCTNZZS3ESSEPJYB30

For my setup.. there's only one HDMI cable going into my Realiser.. and it's for audio only. And that cable comes from the splitter. The other output of the splitter sends 4K HDR signal to my OLED.

I'm really only using the splitter because my receiver is older and does not support 4K or Dolby Atmos.

My splitter setup:

Output A... Sends Dolby Atmos via HDMI to my A16. (With no return signal)

Output B... Sends the 4K HDR signal from my media player to an HD Fury Vertex which splits the signal sending 4K video to my OLED and downgraded audio (DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD) to my receiver for the occasional loudspeaker playback.

Ps.. my kids have been using one of the inputs of the splitter for the Xbox series x... running 4K HDR

Sorry about the run-on sentence.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #11,894 of 16,011
I believe it's doesn't support HDR.
Are you suggesting that the Realiser doesn't support HDR? I don't find that to be the case at all... in a temporary, separate setup.. I'm in the process of creating online demos of my PRIRs.. and I'm sending HDR video through the Realiser and out to a monitor. No issues.

But maybe I misunderstood.

Jul 8, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #11,895 of 16,011
Thanks. So am I wrong in thinking that a splitter will downgrade the video for all connected devices to suit whichever device supports the lowest video quality? That would be the A16 in this case, since I believe it's doesn't support HDR.

The A16 supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision. I have multiple devices connected to the A16 directly and the A16 is capable of taking either HDR format and correctly sending it to my tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back