Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 16, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #10,202 of 15,992
This comment EXACTLY depicts my feelings using OOYH vs not using it. The reverb, reflections, and out of the head feel etc. are really neat but do not make up for the loss that comes with the virtual presentation-- just sounds kind of fake to me; I cant describe it any other way. I do find that my Goodhertz can-opener program brings the music slightly but meaningfully outside of my head without damaging the purity of two channel stereo music sound. IMHO of course.

Please note that OOYH is simply a software implementation of the same processing that the A16 provides. The creator used the A8 to create impulse responses of certain PRIRs and then OOYH applies those impulse responses to incoming audio much like a standard convolution reverb plugin. If you find any of the presets in OOYH to be "fake" then you would find that same preset to be fake if you heard the original PRIR in the A16. It is because the PRIR wasn't created using your own head. You also not might not like the speakers and room, meaning that even if you were listening to the same speakers in the same room, you might not like the sound. If you are used to headphones, and do not like listening to speakers, then the A16 is not for you. I much prefer speakers, and have gone to great lengths to create an ideal treated listening room. I have made a PRIR in my room and am pleased with it because I like my room/speaker combination. If it wasn't treated, it would sound awful in real life and in the A16. I also use Dirac room correction which helps a lot. Keep in mind that the A16 does not fully replicate the sound of the speakers/room captured. It is about 95% of the full sound. It is hard to describe what is missing, but when I go back and forth, I instantly say to myself how much I am glad to still be able to listen to speakers. The A16 provides a way for me to take almost all of that sound outside my listening room.

Sep 16, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #10,203 of 15,992
Please note that OOYH is simply a software implementation of the same processing that the A16 provides. The creator used the A8 to create impulse responses of certain PRIRs and then OOYH applies those impulse responses to incoming audio much like a standard convolution reverb plugin. If you find any of the presets in OOYH to be "fake" then you would find that same preset to be fake if you heard the original PRIR in the A16. It is because the PRIR wasn't created using your own head. You also not might not like the speakers and room, meaning that even if you were listening to the same speakers in the same room, you might not like the sound. If you are used to headphones, and do not like listening to speakers, then the A16 is not for you. I much prefer speakers, and have gone to great lengths to create an ideal treated listening room. I have made a PRIR in my room and am pleased with it because I like my room/speaker combination. If it wasn't treated, it would sound awful in real life and in the A16. I also use Dirac room correction which helps a lot. Keep in mind that the A16 does not fully replicate the sound of the speakers/room captured. It is about 95% of the full sound. It is hard to describe what is missing, but when I go back and forth, I instantly say to myself how much I am glad to still be able to listen to speakers. The A16 provides a way for me to take almost all of that sound outside my listening room.
OOYH does provide customers with the opportunity to make custom presets. You go to San Diego, and Darin offers you the opportunity to take a custom A8 PRIR which he then converts to a OOYH preset. OOYH does not use headtracking, however. Those custom presets cost a great deal more than the off the shelf jobs.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #10,204 of 15,992
I do not understand why a special piece of equipment is needed to recreate home theater. Why cant this be done on a home computer?

I would happily pay the same price for the software if it was developed and just as good as the A16 rather than buying the A16 component.

Sep 16, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #10,205 of 15,992
I asked Smyth about a software solution years ago and their rational for sticking to hardware was the potential for piracy IIRC. I imagine being less able to control for certain variables was also part of it (like the microphones, the microphone inputs, the measuring signal, etc).

That said, here's a comparable software solution: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Impulcifer

Sep 16, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #10,206 of 15,992
FWIW back in April James told me I was #177 on the preorder list, and he estimated me getting it Q4 of this year. This was during the upgrade process.

That seems highly unrealistic at this point given I don't even know if they're done with KS backers...so take that with a giant 2 ton lump of salt. Personally I think it is more realistic to expect pre-orders start going out at the end of the year and hopefully finish sometime in the first half of 2021.

Hi,

can you please tell us when pre-order #66 and #177 were placed?

Another question would be, were do I find my pre order number?

Thank you

Sep 16, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #10,207 of 15,992
I do not understand why a special piece of equipment is needed to recreate home theater. Why cant this be done on a home computer?

I would happily pay the same price for the software if it was developed and just as good as the A16 rather than buying the A16 component.
It's possible to do this for legacy Codecs b/c the owners have released them for decoding on a PC, but Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D are only being licensed to work on dedicated hardware platforms.

In principle, however, I do agree with you, and, personally, I'd much rather just have a software solution, especially since we now have capable, quiet machines the size of the Intel Nuc. But Smyth Research owns the patents, and they're gonna do it their way. Until someone comes along and writes software that does everything the A16 does, and does it on a Pc and gets it licensed for the new multichannel codecs, Smyth is pretty much the only game it town.

Impulcifier, btw, does not do headtracking. If it did, it might be the equal of the A8 (and it would cover 90% of my needs), and it's freeware.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #10,208 of 15,992
Hi,
can you please tell us when pre-order #66 and #177 were placed?
Another question would be, were do I find my pre order number?
Thank you
On 14th February 2020 James said to “cyrilp (HCFR) :
…I see you're number #261 on the pre-order list out of #280, I estimate you'll receive your unit in the 4th quarter this year…

In April 2020 James said to “Illram” :
…back in April James told me I was #177 on the pre order list, and he estimated me getting it Q4 of this year…

On 14th August James said on the KS page :
… we estimate 5-10 units will be shipped per week, and we hope to complete all KickStarter units by November 2020…

You absolutely cannot deduce the exact time frame regarding delivery - if that is what you are looking for? - whatever pre order number you’ve got, be it number 1 or no. 280.

I would say optimistically end of next year.
Edit : instead of end of this year

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #10,209 of 15,992
Impulcifier, btw, does not do headtracking. If it did, it might be the equal of the A8 (and it would cover 90% of my needs), and it's freeware.

Impulcifer is just for measuring and optimising the impulse responses and not for playback. But you can measure every channel configuration you want with impulcifer. And EQ-APO could do the convolution for Atmos setups but on Windows you will get only 7.1 input and there is no Atmos decoder.

Sep 16, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #10,210 of 15,992
Impulcifer is just for measuring and optimising the impulse responses and not for playback. But you can measure every channel configuration you want with impulcifer. And EQ-APO could do the convolution for Atmos setups but on Windows you will get only 7.1 input and there is no Atmos decoder.
So ultimately, no Atmos, and no headtracking. And it is quite a steep learning curve involving multiple software apps, and I'm not up on everthing it entails.. But, it would be worth learning about it it, I think, if only there were a way to add headtracking.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #10,211 of 15,992
On 14th February 2020 James said to “cyrilp (HCFR) :
…I see you're number #261 on the pre-order list out of #280, I estimate you'll receive your unit in the 4th quarter this year…

In April 2020 James said to “Illram” :
…back in April James told me I was #177 on the pre order list, and he estimated me getting it Q4 of this year…

On 14th August James said on the KS page :
… we estimate 5-10 units will be shipped per week, and we hope to complete all KickStarter units by November 2020…

You absolutely cannot deduce the exact time frame regarding delivery - if that is what you are looking for? - whatever pre order number you’ve got, be it number 1 or no. 280.

I would say optimistically end of next year.
Edit : instead of end of this year

I'm looking for my pre order number. Didn't found it until now. So trying to roughly estimate it, based on dates of other pre-orders.

I have ordered in Dec 2016, so I know, I cannot deduce the exact time frame of delivery.

Sep 16, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #10,212 of 15,992
Other than the few who were able to get a PRIR at AIX. Has there been a successful attempt to book studio time in a professional Dolby Atmos recording/dubbing studio?

After all... Isn't that one if the main advertising points of the Realiser. If you can't get the studio time. What's the point? Yes I want a PRIR... But I'd want it done in the best possible environment. My listening space at home is far far from ideal... and my current speakers may not be the sound signature I necessarily want to have replicated... Not to mention I have no idea how I would be able to capture the height channels of Atmos.

And with the ongoing pandemic... What are the odds of getting any time at a Hi-Fi dealership? Let alone one that's actually set up properly for Atmos.

I'm willing to put in the time... I'm just wondering how and if it's possible to maximize the capabilities of this device.

If and when the exchange is up and running... what are the chances of getting a decent match that will be usable for my ears?

Sorry for the negative tone... I really want to buy one of these devices... Just not sure how to go about getting the best from it.

Sep 17, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #10,213 of 15,992
Sep 17, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #10,214 of 15,992
If and when the exchange is up and running... what are the chances of getting a decent match that will be usable for my ears?
You can first make a PRIR with your speakers at home, and use that to personalise a high quality BRIR on the Realiser Exchange website.
Not to mention I have no idea how I would be able to capture the height channels of Atmos.
One possibility is to bend over your head and torso 55 degrees in front of your front speakers and then measure them as left and right front top speakers. Next bend over 90 degrees to measure them as left and right middle top speakers. Finally, bend backwards 55 degrees with the speakers behind you and measure them as your left and right rear back top speakers. In this last case beware that the right speaker will become the left rear top and vice versa, they should be connected differently or the A16 should be set differently for this (depending on the exact method that you follow).

Sep 17, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #10,215 of 15,992
Can the single speaker measurement method be used to create a virtual 7.1 with the A8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back