Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 10, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #10,126 of 15,987
You don't need a scanner either, just take photos of the documents with your smartphone (if you have one of course).
Cameras are good enough nowadays for that. I always do this, don't know when I had my last scanner, must be 10 years or more.
You'd have to crop and resize and compress the photo a little bit afterwards. I use the free IrfanView for that.

Only if I'd have to scan more than 10 or so pages I'd go to a print shop, I think they could also scan (or do it in the office where I work...)
I already did just that, thank you.

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #10,127 of 15,987
@Indisch: you can of course also use the A16 as a (very basic) surround decoder pre-amp: you can connect up to 16 channels of amplification plus speakers to the 16 channel analog outputs. Only the A16 does not (yet) provide controls for levels, delays, or parametric EQ.
Alternatively, if you're streaming just use something like JRiver for level, delays, codec decoding etc, and send it LPCM via HDMI, and then you can use the A16 as a multi channel DAC with a volume control for all your streamed legacy codecs like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #10,128 of 15,987
Has anyone tried to save the stereo binaural stream from the A16 ? I was thinking to try and save a couple of songs processed by the A16 and see how it sounds if i play it back afterwards on my smartphone with a regular pair of earbuds when i'm on the go.

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #10,130 of 15,987
Has anyone tried to save the stereo binaural stream from the A16 ? I was thinking to try and save a couple of songs processed by the A16 and see how it sounds if i play it back afterwards on my smartphone with a regular pair of earbuds when i'm on the go.
I look forward to reading your impressions. As I’ve got a Yarra 3DX unit, I’d like to convey the stereo binaural stream from the A16 to Yarra, which is able to work with binaural audio signals. Previously, I’ve read about using Yarra 3DX in conjunction with Realiser A8, but to the best of my knowledge there haven’t been reports about Realiser A16 working together with Yarra 3DX.

This test I’m going to carry out after my Realiser A16 is with me. Meanwhile, my parcel wanders across Europe. On September, 09 2020, the parcel arrived at the DHL Sort Facility Budapest – Hungary. From there, it was a journey of about 5-6 hours by truck to the city where I live, not far from the border with Hungary. However, "due to some reasons", DHL Budapest sent my parcel to Slovenia instead of Romania. I’m writing about that misery to document that even the great DHL works chaotically. So, I hope that my Realiser A16 unit will be delivered at the beginning of the next week after a 12-day journey across Europe.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #10,131 of 15,987
Anyone know if Smyth is willing to ship a different version vs what you indicated in the survey? I'm backer #354 and requested the headstand version. My situation has changed though and the Realiser would no longer be for desktop use/would need to fit in a rack.

Sep 11, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #10,132 of 15,987
Looking for direction / help from those in the know. How exactly do I capture / record a PRIR on my own now without an A16 on hand that I can later load into and use in my A16 once I finally receive it?

My biggest worry of receiving my A16 years late -- because the Smyths never had a plan to deliver the backlog of PAID-FOR units by backers and pre-orders in any reasonable timeframe -- so late that I'd be forced to move from the house and never be able to 'record' my system and take it with me in my A16. The house is in contract. And I expect a closing date any week now.

I really like the system pictured that I assembled. It is 7.4.2. Two M&K subs. The La Scalas are actively crossed over and tri-amped; using a jbl 'medium butt' tweeter (after trying many alternatives) instead of the stock tweeter. A custom built La scala bass bin supplements the lows of the M&K SS-150 center. Using up firing speakers (SS-150 sides up front, fostex in the rear) for Atmos. Heresy speakers for sides. The system rocks. Live concert DVDs are a thrill.

I know it's not the utmost in quality. But as just said it does 'live' incredibly well, and gives a great surround envelop. I will have resentment against the Smyths and my A16 for remainder of my life if I can't 'capture' a PRIR of it and take it with me after leaving the house (moving to an apartment and will no longer be able to blast music; enter headphones and an A16 to recreate that surround experience).

Can anyone provide me direction of how I make the PRIR and in what format for use in the A16? I admit I haven't tried googling for that yet. Going to do that now. But people in this thread have told me to do this, so I figured someone could point me the way, right away.

Much thanx for all informed replies.
558a312b-f886-4fe2-b379-4768bb20ddb1.jpg

Sep 12, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #10,133 of 15,987
Anyone emailed Smyth recently & got a response? Wrote to James to ask about my pre-order about 2 weeks ago and didnt get a reply. Then wrote to them via their web inquiry earlier in the week and still nothing.

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #10,134 of 15,987
Looking for direction / help from those in the know. How exactly do I capture / record a PRIR on my own now without an A16 on hand that I can later load into and use in my A16 once I finally receive it?

Can't help with the Smyth but I understand your pain. I'm pro-actively taking binural sweep recordings of a room of min that I'll eventually loose because I want to "preserve it".

If you use Impulcifer you can generate recordings if you buy a binural mic and recording interface for your PC. A bit of a learning curve, but in your situation it could be worthwhile.

While the resulting BRIR it computes is only able to be rendered via a PC, it'll save the raw wav sweep recordings. Which I'm sure you can splice into your A16 at some point in the future.

Sep 12, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #10,135 of 15,987
Can anyone provide me direction of how I make the PRIR and in what format for use in the A16?
In short there are potentially 3 paths to your goal, and maybe you can try more than 1 of these:
1. Find someone with an A16 that is willing to help, offer to let this person make his/her own PRIR from your system as (part of) the "reward".
2. Get Smyth to provide you with suitable files for the asynchronous measurement method (and buy binaural microphones and a recording interface).
3. Buy binaural microphones and a recording interface and use jaakkopasanen's impulcifer to record sweep responses and create HRIRs.

About 1:
This would be the easiest and most straight forward solution I guess.
[Edit: actually, best would be to have a A16 at hand and a asynchronous PRIR measurement file (for 7.2.4), because otherwise there still are the usual problems concerning analog inputs and not having the AVR's DSP in the signal path. :triportsad: ]
By now there are quite a few A16s out in the field. In what city (and what country) do you live? You can always try asking here in the thread whether someone with an A16 lives close to you and wants to help you.

About 2&3:
To be able to use the Impulcifer sweep responses or recorded sweep responses from the asynchronous signals we will have to find a way to inject signals into the A16 microphone inputs. For example with a suitable so called "Direct Injection Box" or "D.I. Box" for short. To find a suitable D.I. Box we must get to know the specs of the microphone inuts, so we are depending on Smyth to provide those to us. However that would be a problem of later concern, you can do sweep recordings or Imulcifer measurements without having the solution to that now.

More about 3:
This would be the most complicated solution (if you want all your channels and head tracking). But one advantage is that you can already use a 7.1 channel non-headtracked version without having your A16.
With Impulcifer you create so called HRIRs. (And normally you use those with other software, for example HeSuVi) It doesn't support head tracking or more than 7.1 channels but that can be solved by recording several HRIRs, for different subsets of your channels, and for different lookangles. You can for example make a few 7.1 HRIRs of your 7.1 basis (with one of the subs, and do the other sub with the other speakers, or let the two subs run together as one) for a number of different lookangles. In fact with Impulcifer some things are a little bit easier than with the A16 because Impulcifier provides the sweeps as multichannel LPCM over HDMI, so no worrying about connections, replugging, not having your receivers DSP in the path!
For the height channels you would have to make a seperate set of HRIRs, now there is a bit of a problem with the receiver's DSP but there is a solution I think:
-swap the speaker connections: connect the height speakers for example to the surround and surround back outputs of your receiver
-let your receiver do a new auto callibration (hope you can save and recall your current settings, otherwise later you will have to re-calibrate your receiver in the normal situation)
-now do the Impulcifer HRIR measurements (just 7.1 again, you will have the front channels double but that doesn't matter).
Very important is to exactly document what is in what file!

I don't have time now to explain in detail how you would use these files later, but don't worry about that now!

@jaakkopasanen: I assume the sweep responses for individual channels can always be isolated from the files into a seperate file by copying a certain fixed time-window from a 7.1 sweep response file? If that is the case then there is some more flexibility in how to run the A16 sweeps through for example HeSuVi later. For example if only 2 analog input channels are available on the pc. At the moment it would be too complicated and time consuming for m8o to record all sweep responses (for all channels and all lookangles) seperately or in 2 channel pairs.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #10,136 of 15,987
In short there are potentially 3 paths to your goal,
The biggest of thanx for taking the time! I've skimmed it all. Will sit down and dig into it when the day's demands are done and I can commit the time.

Very bummed right off to learn I can't use say the mic supplied with my terasonde audio toolbox or marantz av7705. It should have occured to me that when the A16 is making measurements, there are two mics making a recording simultaneously separated by the distance of my ear holes; duh, now that I think about it. I guess maybe I can measure each speaker separately with mic several inches apart.

Definitely more involved than making an audessey setup. Which I expected. Didnt realize just how much that would be tho. I didnt want to bother hitting the Smyths up for involvement; a) didnt expect a response, b) wasnt sure i could stay professional and not sling my ire at them for forcing me into this. But I see I should do that, too (while resisting "b").

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #10,137 of 15,987
I guess maybe I can measure each speaker separately with mic several inches apart.
Unfortunately no, that won't work. The trick is that with mics in your ears the influence of your hrtf (head related transfer function) is included in the measurement. And the sound of each each speaker is picked up by both your ears. That is the whole trick of the A16: reproducing the same sounds going into both your ears that would go in when listening to the real speakers in your room.

By the way: if I remember and understood correctly you have a seperate AV pre-amp. At least that means - if someone with an A16 can help you - that you could connect 13 of the A16's analog outputs directly to your crossovers/power amps/subwoofers leaving your AV pre-amp out. Then you can make a raw measurement of the complete system in one go (raw meaning without the room correction of your pre-amp). And if you keep your pre-amp (and the current EQ settings) you can drive the A16's analog inputs with it and all will be well. Or if you don't use EQ at all anyway: all the better: then a raw measurement is all you need.

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #10,138 of 15,987
Anyone know if Smyth is willing to ship a different version vs what you indicated in the survey? I'm backer #354 and requested the headstand version. My situation has changed though and the Realiser would no longer be for desktop use/would need to fit in a rack.

Worth asking them. I changed my order from a headstand to the 2U; I made the change back in November 2017, when they cancelled the black headstand unit. They are offering both versions of the Realisers for sale at full price so they will probably still be willing to make a change before shipment. I suggest you email them soon before any shipment is prepared.

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #10,139 of 15,987
Anyone emailed Smyth recently & got a response? Wrote to James to ask about my pre-order about 2 weeks ago and didnt get a reply. Then wrote to them via their web inquiry earlier in the week and still nothing.

I emailed James Smyth on 18 August, because I had not received a pre-shipping email despite my backer number being in a range that the Kickstarter update had indicated should have been sent. In my email I confirmed my order details and shipping address. I received no reply from Smyth Research but on 20 August received a shipping notification from DHL. I assume that the shipment was in response to my email and the details I had included were sufficient to not need the pre-shipping email. The parcel was despatched on 20 August and delivery took place in London, UK late the following day.

It appears that emails are being read and at least some actions being taken without Smyth Research necessarily replying to the emails. I do think that it would be more professional if James had replied to the email.

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #10,140 of 15,987
Just looked at my DHL tracking. The notation is that the package is being returned to shipper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back