Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 18, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #9,918 of 15,989
The problem I was having was that SACDs just wouldn‘t play at all directly out of the Oppo, but instead I have routed it through my AV amplifier and now they do work, which solves the problem.
You need to switch "HDMI Audio Format" to "Auto" in the Oppo Audio Output Setup (assuming you have the UDP-203 or 205). If you do so, the Oppo recognizes which hardware plays DSD and which doesn't.

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #9,919 of 15,989
Just the default BBC room. Do you recommend another?
No, not really. The BBC room doesn't fit that much to me unfortunately. The height speakers don't sound high to me, rather on my ears level and it feels something is missing if i compare with a Magico PRIR from the A8 that Darin Fong made a few years ago. I hope when the Realiser Exchange is up, there will be a wider choice of rooms to try and find the one that fits best to each of us.

Aug 18, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #9,920 of 15,989
I am thinking more and more about going "Netflix" Atmos since I am missing out on new series/movies. I want the benefit of both : physical and streaming but with the same quality.
I have the Oppo 203 going into my Realiser 16 (Philips Fidelio X2 headphone) which is then plugged into my old TV set (Panasonic TH-50PV500E from 2006 and yes with HDMI).
Now picture quality is important as well as audio. Is plugging a Zappiti Pro 4K (waiting for a new 4K TV set when the money is there...) or a Zidoo UHD2000 plugged into the Realiser A16 the way to go or am I missing something which wouldn't surprise me given my non-existent audio education.:slight_smile:

Thanks

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #9,923 of 15,989
Still have heard nothing from anyone regarding my missing Realiser. The "investigation" was opened up on July 22. You know, the one that was supposed to take 8-10 "work days". My last communication from James at Smyth Ltd. was July 31st. The package was shipped on July 16th, so it's been in transit for more than a month. Called UPS at the beginning of last week told them time was up, and the clerk told me the investigation required more time. Emailed James last Thursday asking when I was going to learn something, and there's still been no reply from them.

How are the lost package investigations going for the other two unfortunate souls. Really wanna know.

Aug 18, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #9,924 of 15,989
Still have heard nothing from anyone regarding my missing Realiser. The "investigation" was opened up on July 22. You know, the one that was supposed to take 8-10 "work days". My last communication from James at Smyth Ltd. was July 31st. The package was shipped on July 16th, so it's been in transit for more than a month. Called UPS at the beginning of last week told them time was up, and the clerk told me the investigation required more time. Emailed James last Thursday asking when I was going to learn something, and there's still been no reply from them.

How are the lost package investigations going for the other two unfortunate souls. Really wanna know.
Still no resolution here either. No communication from UPS.....it just shows the claim continues to be investigated.

Aug 18, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #9,928 of 15,989
Sure, i have the 4K subscription. 4K and HDR work fine and the app does show the Atmos logo, but the A16 shows only Dolby Audio instead of Dolby Atmos...
How many channels are you showing on the A16 display?

Aug 19, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #9,929 of 15,989
I just wanted to let people know that my claim for repayment of customs fees was approved. This was a substantial amount of money that I had to pay UK Customs when shipping my A16 back to Smyth Research for the upgrades. I don’t get back the non refundable agent’s fee of 11.5 pounds but I do get back all of the rest of the 444.6 pounds that I had to lay out. I am also told to expect to see the money in my TransferWise account within 10 working days.

My sincere thanks goes to @GotTheShakes for his tremendous assistance with this less than straight forward process.

Aug 19, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #9,930 of 15,989
I just wanted to let people know that my claim for repayment of customs fees was approved. This was a substantial amount of money that I had to pay UK Customs when shipping my A16 back to Smyth Research for the upgrades. I don’t get back the non refundable agent’s fee of 11.5 pounds but I do get back all of the rest of the 444.6 pounds that I had to lay out. I am also told to expect to see the money in my TransferWise account within 10 working days.

My sincere thanks goes to @GotTheShakes for his tremendous assistance with this less than straight forward process.

How did you find out your claim was approved? I haven’t heard anything since I sent them my TransferWise info a few weeks back...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back