Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 21, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #9,947 of 16,011
Just incase some may not have gotten the update email... copy and pasted...

Hi everyone,

Altogether we have shipped A16 units to KickStarter backers #1-255. Next week we will ship to backers #256-266. If you are a backer from #1-266 and haven't received an email, please contact us right away.

Warm Regards

Smyth Research

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #9,948 of 16,011
I was looking at my bank statement online today, and, apparently, UPS refunded me the $38.79 I paid in brokerage. Did it on the 10th of August, apparently, after I yelled long and loud at the service person. Still no word, however, on the fate of my Realiser. In fact, the last time UPS tracked a location was on 7.17.20 when they indicated the shipment departed Newtownabbey in the UK. So I guess we don't even know if it was received in the US or where.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #9,949 of 16,011
I was looking at my bank statement online today, and, apparently, UPS refunded me the $38.79 I paid in brokerage. Did it on the 10th of August, apparently, after I yelled long and loud at the service person. Still no word, however, on the fate of my Realiser. In fact, the last time UPS tracked a location was on 7.17.20 when they indicated the shipment departed Newtownabbey in the UK. So I guess we don't even know if it was received in the US or where.
If it’s stolen, maybe at some point Smyth Research May be able to detect your unit if it gets connected to internet.

Aug 21, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #9,950 of 16,011
Received my A16 today along with the ordered addition head top, I am backer #225. Only had time for a quick unboxing as delivery was three hours after scheduled early evening delivery slot.

My unit is the 2U model and I notice that, when rotated, the User A volume control clicks much louder than the User B control, this is mechanical noise with power off; have other users noticed any difference in sound between the volume knobs. I need to get in contact with James as my unit shipped with rack mount ears that I didn't order and a slight mix up with the cable clips (too many medium size circular clips and too few small flat clips), I plan to mention the different clicks from the volume controls but thought I would check if it is normal or only my Realiser.

Aug 21, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #9,952 of 16,011
If its stolen the first time they try to use the exchange site it will flag the unit(s) as the serial numbers are imbedded into the files....
If it's stolen, I need to be sent a new one inasmuch as it was insured.

Aug 21, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #9,953 of 16,011
My unit is the 2U model and I notice that, when rotated, the User A volume control clicks much louder than the User B control, this is mechanical noise with power off; have other users noticed any difference in sound between the volume knobs.
As long as both knobs rotate freely without scraping on the case, I'd assume that's just parts tolerance of the rotary encoders.

Aug 21, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #9,954 of 16,011
Well, called UPS today, and was assured by the CSR who took my call that the matter will be "escalated" to the package recovery team. Was told that it would take another 8-10 business days to resolve. Learned that it definitely made it to customs in Louisville, Ky, and was released by them, but they have no record of what happened after that. Declared value was 3,250 GBP and the CSR told me UPS was responsible for reimbursing the seller if and when the package is declared finally lost or stolen, which she also said will occur after the 8-10 business day investigation period. Yeah, I'm pissed.

Aug 21, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #9,955 of 16,011
Well, called UPS today, and was assured by the CSR who took my call that the matter will be "escalated" to the package recovery team. Was told that it would take another 8-10 business days to resolve. Learned that it definitely made it to customs in Louisville, Ky, and was released by them, but they have no record of what happened after that. Declared value was 3,250 GBP and the CSR told me UPS was responsible for reimbursing the seller if and when the package is declared finally lost or stolen, which she also said will occur after the 8-10 business day investigation period. Yeah, I'm pissed.
hoping they find it for you... not cool at all...

Aug 22, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #9,956 of 16,011
Received my A16 today along with the ordered addition head top, I am backer #225. Only had time for a quick unboxing as delivery was three hours after scheduled early evening delivery slot.

My unit is the 2U model and I notice that, when rotated, the User A volume control clicks much louder than the User B control, this is mechanical noise with power off; have other users noticed any difference in sound between the volume knobs. I need to get in contact with James as my unit shipped with rack mount ears that I didn't order and a slight mix up with the cable clips (too many medium size circular clips and too few small flat clips), I plan to mention the different clicks from the volume controls but thought I would check if it is normal or only my Realiser.
Congrats for your new Realiser A16. I hope that with the help of other owners here you’ll sort out the described issues in your post.

Aug 24, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #9,957 of 16,011
Jesus christ... I hope the declaration value isn't the MSRP and what was paid on Kickstarter.

Tax here in BC Canada is 12%... that's gonna be like $400 to receive this thing.... What?

In an update to this from a while back when I was wondering how much duty/fees would end up being in Canada upon delivery.

Just got dinged by DHL for $167 :slight_frown: But to be honest it's less than what I was worrying it was going to be.

Will get my A16 tomorrow or Tuesday and then I can check out a breakdown of what the actual charges were.

Aug 24, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #9,958 of 16,011
Oh boy mine will be shipped soon as I was just contacted for the info verification, but I really lost interest on the product after all these years waiting, and very much thinking about to just sell it when I get it.Since I backed this product I already built an Atmos/DTS X/Auro set up for my HT with ceiling mounted speakers. It's very unlikely that I would use this product at all, even though I do listen music on my headphones via my pc once in awhile.

Aug 24, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #9,959 of 16,011

Hi there,
My Realiser has slightly louder "twip" sounds on the User B volume knob than the detents on User A. It’s far quieter than something like, say, the relay switches in a Schiit Ragnarock. I don't find it objectionable, and the positional detents in sync with the display volume going up is satisfying in my mind. Maybe I shouldn't compare it to a much less expensive device, but the FiiO X3 (I forget which mark, not the latest one) and my Olympus EP-L3 camera taught me that a scroll wheel with detents isn't guaranteed to match feel with effect. The X3 sometimes didn't move the selection, or jumped double and skipped past the desired selection, when I thumbed the wheel around. The camera was even worse, not only being unable to keep up with quick rolls, but it often would jiggle between two selections. Those were... well, lets just say I'm grateful that the Realiser is far more pleasant to control volume.

I do admit I haven't mastered it yet. Setup is so intricate, that at some point I just got it "good enough" and carried on with using it like that. Once I hear the exchange site is up, I will be asking the Smyth's for the two calibrations we did together and they promised to share with backers who visited them at CanJams.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back