Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 14, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #9,886 of 15,989
the video of the above with english subtitles (Gilles interview)
These automatic translations are even worse than the automated french subtitles. If those were correct I' d understand a little bit more. Gilles just talks too fast...
Do you not speak french (as it says you're from Belgium?)

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #9,887 of 15,989
Quite strange that Update #60.

“…. last week we resumed shipping to our KickStarter backers, and are currently preparing units for backers #145 -155 to be shipped out. We estimate 5-10 units will be shipped per week….”

One backer at kickstater site writes: “Great news. I'm backer # 244. Mr. Smythe has notified me that a unit should ship in two weeks.”

So, if the count is at 155 today, at 10 units per week, over a fortnight there will be 175 units shipped. There will be roughly 8-9 weeks till #244 is shipped.

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #9,888 of 15,989
By the way: If there were not this screw* virus spreading, I'd find it very interesting to have a "central europe Realiser users meeting", maybe in the Galaxy Studios... :wink:
We have many users from Germany, France, Belgium, Netherlands and so on. Wouldn't be too far for most of them.
Any spanish people here?

Aug 14, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #9,890 of 15,989
These automatic translations are even worse than the automated french subtitles. If those were correct I' d understand a little bit more. Gilles just talks too fast...
Do you not speak french (as it says you're from Belgium?)
Yes I speak French. There are 2 official languages in Belgium : French & Dutch for historical reasons.
Don't worry about the video from Gilles since it merely confirms what the new version of the Realiser A16 is all about. A few generalities, nothing very technical or new.

Aug 15, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #9,891 of 15,989
Question for the people using the tactile outputs. From the manual:

"The tactile signal is created by summing together one or more of the decoded or PCM signals, summing this with the rendered headphone output, and then low-pass filtering the final output."

Doesn't this mean that the low frequencies are effectively "doubled"? Wouldn't this lead to distortions or other artefacts? Sure, you can set the volume for the decoded signals and the headphone output, but it only goes to -30db and you can't turn it off. Would be interesting to hear how other people have set this up.

Aug 15, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #9,892 of 15,989
Question for the people using the tactile outputs. From the manual:

"The tactile signal is created by summing together one or more of the decoded or PCM signals, summing this with the rendered headphone output, and then low-pass filtering the final output."

Doesn't this mean that the low frequencies are effectively "doubled"? Wouldn't this lead to distortions or other artefacts? Sure, you can set the volume for the decoded signals and the headphone output, but it only goes to -30db and you can't turn it off. Would be interesting to hear how other people have set this up.
(I never used it but...)
Look at figure 22-3 and 22-2. I think with that Tactile summation block you can set exactly which of the "one or more of the decoded or PCM signals" are being summed, and you can attenuate each of those channels, and you have the possibility to switch all of those off. If you switch them all off then you only have the rendered headphone output part left so you have nothing doubled.

If your fear for distortion is fear of overloading or clipping of some sort: -30 dB is a power factor 1000 down so that should take care of that.

One more thing: -3 dB is halving the power. That means that if you split a signal, bring each branch 3 dB down, and then add them together you will be back at the original level.
[Edit: Oh, I have to be a little bit carefull here: I am a bit confused here myself now, it could be -6 dB instead of -3 dB. If you double or halve a signal (voltage) then it is 6 dB up or down.]

You can apply this in the Tactile signal generation by setting each of the 2 main branches at -3 dB [Edit: or it is -6 dB]. (Although a lot more will be going on in this case: the SVS headphone rendered part will be slightly delayed - meaning you will add signals that are not in phase so you don't get a full addition - and the SVS processing itself could have increased or decreased levels.)

I guess you can just experiment a bit with all this.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #9,893 of 15,989
I guess you can just experiment a bit with all this.

Thank you very much for the help, this all makes sense to me. As you have mentioned, the processed signal might be delayed because of the DSP and other factors, so it would make more sense to only send the processed signal to the tactile outputs. Unless the system adds a bit of latency to the decoded channels, perhaps a question for the Smyth's but I am guessing they have other things on their mind right now :).

Aug 15, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #9,894 of 15,989
Project Update #60: Realiser A16: real 3D audio headphone processor by Smyth Research
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...al-3d-audio-headphone-processor/posts/2923464

I can confirm: backer number 214 took delivery today!

I do, however, require urgent advice. [Edit: first problem solved!] I connected the HDMI output from the A16 to my Amp and tried to run a PRIR and SPR diagnostic routine, but got no output to the screen or sound. The source selection was correct ... I could switch the same cable to my PS4 with no problem.

If my requests for help are this basic on day one, imagine the product support you are going to have to do with me as my demands become more obscure! :L3000:

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #9,895 of 15,989
Although I already have my fully upgraded Kickstarter A16 in hand, I must say that I’m absolutely thrilled to hear that they have resumed shipping. I’m now hoping that, with production and shipping finally up and running again, the Smyths will work out the final steps to launch a functioning online Realiser Exchange. The day that I finally get to download my CanJam PRIR will be an awesome day indeed. @audiohobbit and @Dixter, any updates you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Aug 15, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #9,896 of 15,989
Corrigendum for Update #60

James Smyth – Collaborator:
Apologies, we are preparing backers #245-255 and if you're a backer #1-255 and haven't received an email from us please contact us right away/

My backer number is in the range above. Was pleasantly surprised to see an email from James in my Spam folder today indicating my unit was getting ready to ship in the next 2 weeks.

It was odd because it was immediately AFTER reading the Kickstarter update email which indicated they were currently preparing units for backers #145-155...

So was the 145-155 a typo and it should have read 245-255 instead?

Anyways, it has been a LONG wait, so I was happy to see the email!

Aug 15, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #9,897 of 15,989
My backer number is in the range above. Was pleasantly surprised to see an email from James in my Spam folder today indicating my unit was getting ready to ship in the next 2 weeks.

It was odd because it was immediately AFTER reading the Kickstarter update email which indicated they were currently preparing units for backers #145-155...

So was the 145-155 a typo and it should have read 245-255 instead?

Anyways, it has been a LONG wait, so I was happy to see the email!

Correct. It looks like James posted a comment after the initial update saying that the original post should have said 245-255 instead of 145-155.

Aug 15, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #9,898 of 15,989
Correct. It looks like James posted a comment after the initial update saying that the original post should have said 245-255 instead of 145-155.

Ah yes, I saw that shortly afterwards.

Now let's just hope I don't get absolutely destroyed by Canadian customs on duty/fees :p

Aug 16, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #9,899 of 15,989
#329 here. I can’t believe I’ll actually receive this thing 4 years later. It feels literally unbelievable. I have about 10 friends I’ll be happy to share with that I actually got my vaporware they were certain was a gimmick or waste of time and money. It was hard not to feel similar along the way. Will be so great to finally have it. Guess I can buy something nicer than my hd650’s now.

I wonder if anyone died waiting for their A16. Morbid curiosity. Was a long wait.

Aug 16, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #9,900 of 15,989

Doesn't this mean that the low frequencies are effectively "doubled"?
Oh yes the tactile out... I always wanted to ask Stephen about this, because I also don't really get it, but there are so many other questions/bugs that I didn't want to bother him with that.

I think it is basically as Sander said. But the only thing that would make sense to me is take the processed SVS signal, because it already should contain all the bass. So leave all the speakers (when pressing enter) off and just use the second volume setting.
But the main question is: Which HP volume controls the overall volume of the tactile out? Could be only A or B sincere there is only one pair of stereo tactile outputs. It works with A because I use it that way. Haven't tried B but if A controls it B couldn't which is odd. Since bass below a certain frequency is basically mono there better be one user A tactile mono RCA and one for user B!

Whst I normally do instead is to use the HP outputs (RCA on the back) and process the signal after the Realiser with a LPF/EQ to get the signal for transducers. Because what you'd need for most transducers is to EQ them if you do it seriously.

I connected the HDMI output from the A16 to my Amp and tried to run a PRIR and SPR diagnostic routine, but got no output to the screen or sound. The source selection was correc
Unfortunately the sweeps for PRIR measurements are not output digitally, only via the 16ch analog out.
With most AVRs this is a problem, if they even have analog inputs, room correction and bass management doesn't work.

The Async measurement mode will help with this, where you have the signals as file or disc. But we're still waiting for the files distributed to the public. This should be done via the Realiser Exchange website one day...
Problem is that for every combination of speaker setups (7.1.4, 9.1.6 and so on), look angles and sweep duration (4s or 12s, with or without overlap) there need to be a separate file, so there could be hundreds...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back