Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 11, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #9,813 of 16,081
The three units lost were shipped to the US ?
hadron70's profile says 'from Germany'.
If it is all not just coincidence then the problem could be closer to the source I guess, in Northern Ireland or at least somewhere in the UK.

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #9,814 of 16,081
Aug 11, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #9,815 of 16,081
it's also a bit odd that the investigations are taking much longer than normal for all 3 of us. you would think - for at least one of us - that they would find the package misplaced, etc. and complete the delivery. they genuinely seem to have all 'disappeared'.

Aug 11, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #9,816 of 16,081
hadron70's profile says 'from Germany'.
If it is all not just coincidence then the problem could be closer to the source I guess, in Northern Ireland or at least somewhere in the UK.

My package got lost when it was already in Germany. Somewhere in this thread someone reported that his A16 got lost last year because of a detached shipping label. Just saying.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #9,818 of 16,081
6-BCE45-F4-0153-4-EBC-A1-E8-1-F244-CB76890.jpg
I just checked the list and nothing is missing 😅
Now I have to plug everything and start digging in the menus and all the procedures for HPEQ and ManLoud...

Aug 11, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #9,821 of 16,081
My investigation was started on July 22. Yikes. What really pisses me off is they charged me $38.72 in import fees. Why did they do that when they didn't even know where the unit was? They messaged me on July 23 that this form of "postage" was due. I even called UPS before I paid it, and was told the unit was not lost--that it was in the warehouse in Louisville, Ky. So I am really fit to be tied. Just wait. If the A16 is officially declared lost, and Smyth needs to send a replacement, anyone want to take bets that I will be charged import fees a THIRD time? This is simply ridiculous. Why design a tracking system when it only tracks routine, on time deliveries, and offers zero clues about problematic deliveries? Questions like when was the last time someone actually laid eyes on this shipment, and where did they send it to? Seems to me it shouldn't be too hard to make this determination if everything is being accurately scanned on a real time basis.
I preface this by saying that I'm not trying to upset you. Wouldn't you have to file a claim with UPS for reimbursement of the declared value of the unit? Put another way, why would Smyth Research be legally obligated to send you another unit, unless you were reimbursed by UPS and then ordered another A16 at full price? For your sake, I hope that either I'm looking at this incorrectly or that your A16 is not a Kickstarter unit(declared at around 774 GBP). Of course, one could argue that, given all of your well documented troubles since January, the Smyths might feel a moral obligation to send you a new A16.

Aug 11, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #9,822 of 16,081
I think (if I'm not wrong) Fox already learned a lot from the manuals WITHOUT having an A16 himself.

Congrats!

(To be honest, looks a bit llike a tombstone ... no offense)
I learnt from the manuals but mostly from you guys!! You’ve been the beta testers and gave us a lot of advises...
Thank you all 🙏!

As for the tombstone look, now that you mention it... 😂
Anyway it will for sure attract the eye when people come over !

Aug 11, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #9,823 of 16,081
I preface this by saying that I'm not trying to upset you. Wouldn't you have to file a claim with UPS for reimbursement of the declared value of the unit? Put another way, why would Smyth Research be legally obligated to send you another unit, unless you were reimbursed by UPS and then ordered another A16 at full price? For your sake, I hope that either I'm looking at this incorrectly or that your A16 is not a Kickstarter unit(declared at around 774 GBP). Of course, one could argue that, given all of your well documented troubles since January, the Smyths might feel a moral obligation to send you a new A16.
My parcel was declared at the KS price, £720...
i hope things will end up fine for @phoenixdogfan

Edit : i misread the docucment, i thought it was the paper for DHL but it was my invoice, hence the £720 price that i paid on KS

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #9,824 of 16,081
The Smyths ensure their shipments for the full market value which is why I would expect them to replace the unit if worse comes to worst.

Aug 11, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #9,825 of 16,081
I plugged everything and tried it with the BBC preset, raw without the HPEQ nor ManLoud (i'll do that tomorrow). It's ok but the front speakers ring quite between my ears and the height virtual speakers don't really sound high.
On the Magical Speakers preset of the Out Of Your Head software (based on a Magico Q3 7.1 system) that i use on my computer, the front ones sound clearly more convincing to my ears even if i can't really pinpoint them. I should try to see if i can find the A8 PRIR that Darin Fong used to create this preset on his software.

I hope with the HPEQ and ManLoud, it will clearly improve. I'll try also other presets from the Googe Drive shared folder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back