Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 27, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #9,661 of 15,989
Well, located my Realiser. It's in Louisville, Ky and was being held for my tax id no., so said the UPS customer service. I gave that to UPS on Saturday, and as of today at 1;30 pm, still no tracking update or delivery schedule forthcoming.

Jul 27, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #9,662 of 15,989
Well, located my Realiser. It's in Louisville, Ky and was being held for my tax id no., so said the UPS customer service. I gave that to UPS on Saturday, and as of today at 1;30 pm, still no tracking update or delivery schedule forthcoming.
I'm relieved to know that it was located by UPS.

Jul 28, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #9,664 of 15,989
The vertical tracking in my realiser comes on a couple of minutes after the horizontal . I wonder what’s wrong .

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #9,665 of 15,989
Does the headtop already show a green light?

Vertical tracking doesn't work anyway at the moment. You know that?
To be precise, the tracking works but not the virtualisation of vertical looks. If it will work someday you of course need vertical measurements and it needs both SVS processors, so only user A will be active, the same as with the 24ch processing.

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #9,666 of 15,989
Does the headtop already show a green light?

Vertical tracking doesn't work anyway at the moment. You know that?
To be precise, the tracking works but not the virtualisation of vertical looks. If it will work someday you of course need vertical measurements and it needs both SVS processors, so only user A will be active, the same as with the 24ch processing.
I knew if I stood up it won’t track the movement, the head roll up and down I assumed it worked. The green light side to side works on startup, the up down works after a few minutes, on set-top tracker.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #9,667 of 15,989
I knew if I stood up it won’t track the movement, the head roll up and down I assumed it worked.
What audiohobbit meant to say is that tracking the head movements and "counter rotating" the virtual speakers are two seperate things. In the vertical the A16 only tracks the movements but it doesn't use this information for "counter rotating" yet. (That will come in a future firmware update and will only work in single user mode).

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #9,669 of 15,989
Can I ask is the A16 worth the wait,cost and set up? I’m close to getting one but have no chance of getting a demo due to the current situation.
I have been told I can buy one and if not happy then I can return with 14 days but after reading a lot on here about the setting up, it will probably take me 14 days to get it going.

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #9,670 of 15,989
Couple of days to set up and test, unless you want to create a custom multichannel Prir and you need to travel for that. If the factory prirs work for you, It will be very evident.

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #9,671 of 15,989
Couple of days to set up and test, unless you want to create a custom multichannel Prir and you need to travel for that. If the factory prirs work for you, It will be very evident.
I will be setting up my own as I’ve got a pretty good 5.1.4 set up. Like everything else in life it’s just thinking about the cost. I can get an original Kickstarter 2U unit which hasn’t been upgraded for less than half the price of new but no warranty so not sure what to do.

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #9,672 of 15,989
I have a 7.1.4 system , but because my receiver doesn’t have 7.1.4 inputs I can’t do my own PRIR unless I do it with 2 channel each and collate as per the guides here .
It’s worth it as a device, absolutely. Your seller is the unknown quantity that you’ll have to take a call on.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #9,673 of 15,989
I will be setting up my own as I’ve got a pretty good 5.1.4 set up.
Like @Thomasphoenix98 said it can be a bit difficult to measure a complete 5.1.4 set up. But as a "proof of concept" you could start with measuring just a stereo PRIR. If you hear how real that sounds then you know that the concept works.

Jul 29, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #9,674 of 15,989
Can I ask is the A16 worth the wait,cost and set up? I’m close to getting one but have no chance of getting a demo due to the current situation.
I have been told I can buy one and if not happy then I can return with 14 days but after reading a lot on here about the setting up, it will probably take me 14 days to get it going.

For me it has been absolutely worth it, but that’s because I was able to measure an existing 5.1 system. As others have stated, it is currently a pain to capture a PRIR because it will involve a lot of plugging and unplugging of cables unless you have a receiver with analog surround inputs. That should get much more convenient when async measurement files are available to use.

As for the no warranty thing, only you can decide if that is worth the risk. No one that I know of has had to have an out of warranty repair done so I don’t have any idea what that cost might be.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #9,675 of 15,989
I can get an original Kickstarter 2U unit which hasn’t been upgraded for less than half the price of new but no warranty so not sure what to do.
If the unit you're going to buy was sold in the UK or at least the EU, you have at least the mandatory 2 year warranty, which still technically is part of the sales contract between Smyth Research and the original buyer, but unlike any voluntary manufacturer's warranty, cannot be voided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back