Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 12, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #9,437 of 15,986
The content on that webpage is actually pretty much a copy of the March update.
James told me a bit more than two weeks ago that "an update will be posted shortly", since the notion of time is very flexible at Smyth Research, "shortly" can mean one or two months or maybe longer... However, they have been very busy retrofitting the units of those who requested an upgrade to the newest boards. James mentioned that KS units will start being shipped out again once all the retrofitting is complete. I have the feeling that most of the users here who were expecting it received their shipping notice, so hopefully it will soon be Game on again for KS backers.
James, i'll be on holidays in a week, now would be a great timing ! :grin:
Still haven't received my notice.

Jul 12, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #9,439 of 15,986
Has anyone else had a problem where the preset information (user A listening room and HPEQ) keeps reverting to some other choices? I just cant get my choices to 'stick' for more than a few days. I cant tell if the choices change when I make some other change somewhere else
Or have I missed some obscure setting somewhere?
I already wrote this that I have similar problems that my presets seem to "lose" settings I made. This seems especially true for the User A presets.
It can be nearly everything, from listenig room over HPEQ to audio delay etc.
I also wrote that my volume settings suddenly change. Not by themselves but if I want to change the volume it could jump back to a lower value. For example I crank it up to 75. Then I press vol up again to go to 76, but suddenly it is only 70 or something and goes to 71 with the key press.
Fortunately it never jumped to a higher value, always to a lower value.
For the presets I have the feeling that the first presets 1-4 are affected, and maybe the first two(?) users. At the moment I'm using user 4 and 5 and presets 6,7 and upwards. It seems that it didn't happen until then, but I'm not sure.
The volume thing happens often still.
I already mentioned this to Stephen once but he had no immediate solution.
If this happens to others also I will mention it again.
It happened with all firmwares I installed so far I think.

Is there any native 24ch Atmos material or is it just upmixed 16 channel stuff?
There is no such thing as "native xx ch Atmos material" per se.
Atmos uses a "bed" of fixed channels and objects.
The bed is usually 7.1 or 7.1.2.
Objects can be 128 max and everywhere everytime. They are mixed to the speakers that are in your setup.
For example if there is a sound object coming from one direction. If there is a speaker at that location in your setup the sound comes from that speaker. If there is no speaker there in your setup, the sound is mixed to the adjacent speakers to build a phantom source so that the sound roughly comes from that direction.
In principle, the more physical speakers there are, the better.

However there are some Atmos mixes specifically labelled 7.1.4. They do not use the front wides and not use the top mids in a x.x.6 setup.
I'm not totally sure how they do it. Must be a 7.1 bed with only objects for the 4 tops or so.

One other thing I noticed:
With FW 1.91 there is a new Test music loop, if you press the test button. It is some kind of reggae wit a VERY heavy bass drum and it is VERY LOUD!
So beware and lower your volume before testing!

I accidentally hit the Test button while watching a movie and startled heavily!
Fortunately I used the (cheap) in ears, they can take a lot.
A normal headphone could be damaged, esp. because of the bass!

Jul 12, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #9,440 of 15,986
How does one turn the test music off ? Pressing the test button a second time doesn’t seem to do anything ?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #9,441 of 15,986
I already wrote this that I have similar problems that my presets seem to "lose" settings I made. This seems especially true for the User A presets.
It can be nearly everything, from listenig room over HPEQ to audio delay etc.

Yes I remember you posting this now.
I have also had the 'sluggish behaviour' issue, which required reinstalling the firmware (twice), and frequently get the white screen on startup.
I wonder if they are related? Do you get these issues as well?

Jul 12, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #9,442 of 15,986
Yes, I had the stalling now for the 2nd time (still with FW 1.81), installing 1.91 helped, and sometimes I got the white screen also.
I'll report this to Stephen, maybe they are in fact related.

How does one turn the test music off ? Pressing the test button a second time doesn’t seem to do anything ?
Well, exactly like that. Press Test once turns on the test loop, press it a second time should end the test loop.
If not, s.th. probably wrong. How did you kill the test loop then if not by pressing the test button?

Jul 12, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #9,443 of 15,986
Yes, I had the stalling now for the 2nd time (still with FW 1.81), installing 1.91 helped, and sometimes I got the white screen also.
I'll report this to Stephen, maybe they are in fact related.

Well, exactly like that. Press Test once turns on the test loop, press it a second time should end the test loop.
If not, s.th. probably wrong. How did you kill the test loop then if not by pressing the test button?
I switched off the device and restarted it .

Jul 12, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #9,444 of 15,986
According to UPS, I'll receive my updated A-16 tomorrow. I'm going to measure 15.1.8 setup and made a preliminary speaker map to aid my upcoming job. But I cannot seem to find speaker numbers for Lrh and Rrh speakers.

I used as a reference latest update from Smyth: 15.1.8ch (C, Lcs, Rcs, L, R, Lw, Rw, Ls1, Rs1, Lss, Rss, Lrs1, Rrs1, Lb, Rb, Lfh, Rfh, Ltf, Rtf, Ltr, Rtr, Lrh, Rrh, SUB)

I was able to find other speakers numbers from the official manual from 2019 on page 97.

Can anyone help with those missing numbers I have?

15.1.8 atmos speaker map.pdf

edit: I was able to find them just after posting this, fixed pdf already.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #9,445 of 15,986
According to UPS, I'll receive my updated A-16 tomorrow. I'm going to measure 15.1.8 setup and made a preliminary speaker map to aid my upcoming job. But I cannot seem to find speaker numbers for Lrh and Rrh speakers.

I used as a reference latest update from Smyth: 15.1.8ch (C, Lcs, Rcs, L, R, Lw, Rw, Ls1, Rs1, Lss, Rss, Lrs1, Rrs1, Lb, Rb, Lfh, Rfh, Ltf, Rtf, Ltr, Rtr, Lrh, Rrh, SUB)

I was able to find other speakers numbers from the official manual from 2019 on page 97.

Can anyone help with those missing numbers I have?

15.1.8 atmos speaker map.pdf

edit: I was able to find them just after posting this, fixed pdf already.
When you get your A16 back on Monday it comes pre loaded with a 15.1.8 loaded.... you can also use this 15.1.8 to populate a different room also...

Jul 12, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #9,447 of 15,986
I know. It doesn’t make any sense at all. Once mine hit Philly I got the email from UPS that I was expecting about needing a tax ID number. Then for the first time ever with a shipment I was asked to verify if the contents of the shipment contained any wood lol.

Looks like through all of that, it’s made it to Louisville and should still be here on Monday, fingers crossed.
The first time I received my Realiser, I had to fill out the documentation pertaining to wood, but this time I've heard absolutely nothing from UPS and it's already sitting in the local hub for delivery on Monday. I also didn't have any import fees either time.

Jul 12, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #9,448 of 15,986
The first time I received my Realiser, I had to fill out the documentation pertaining to wood, but this time I've heard absolutely nothing from UPS and it's already sitting in the local hub for delivery on Monday. I also didn't have any import fees either time.

Mine has been released from customs a few states away, but hasn’t moved from there.UPS still says delivery is supposed to be tomorrow, but we’ll see.

When my A16 was originally shipped here least year, UPS didn’t say anything about any customs or fees when I picked the package up from the hub. There about two weeks later I got a bill from them for like $37 or so. $10 of it was them charging me to “warehouse” the item for the 10 minutes it took to clear customs, and the other $27 was some sort of customs related fee. Again with this shipment, there isn’t any indication of fees due, we’ll see if I get a bill in the mail a few weeks after delivery this time.

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #9,449 of 15,986
Mine has been released from customs a few states away, but hasn’t moved from there.UPS still says delivery is supposed to be tomorrow, but we’ll see.

When my A16 was originally shipped here least year, UPS didn’t say anything about any customs or fees when I picked the package up from the hub. There about two weeks later I got a bill from them for like $37 or so. $10 of it was them charging me to “warehouse” the item for the 10 minutes it took to clear customs, and the other $27 was some sort of customs related fee. Again with this shipment, there isn’t any indication of fees due, we’ll see if I get a bill in the mail a few weeks after delivery this time.
From UPS:

"Storage fees - The charge for a Warehouse Fee is $20.00 USD per calendar day plus $0.04 per pound per calendar day after two free business days until submitted to customs.

Pre-notification fees - If a customer requests contact prior to releasing a shipment and the information is not received causing the shipment to be held, a $12.50 Pre-Release Notification fee will be applied. Since they have requested prior contact, if the information is not received day one before the operational down-time and the shipment has to be held for that information, a $12.50 fee will be applied.

At 15 days old all shipments will be eligible for General Order warehousing by U.S. Customs. Any shipment moved to a G.O. warehouse will be assigned additional warehouse fees that must be paid in full before it can be removed. Any shipments remaining in G.O. for 6 months may be auctioned off in accordance with the U.S. Import regulations."

My A16 is in Connecticut as of this afternoon and should be in Rhode Island tomorrow morning, with expected delivery to my home in Massachusetts tomorrow.

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #9,450 of 15,986
When you get your A16 back on Monday it comes pre loaded with a 15.1.8 loaded.... you can also use this 15.1.8 to populate a different room also...
Yes, I'm aware of this, but I still need to measure the listening room for the correct positions of the 15.1.8 setup. So I need something as a reference when I'm going thru the pain of moving my loudspeakers around and doing the measurements. Naturally, I know that I can adjust those factory provided presets to my liking, but I noticed earlier that just doing the measurements myself is so much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back