Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 20, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #8,911 of 16,005
we already knew May 22 a while back... Gilles is limited due to the virus and the fact that he was to be in training while our units were being upgraded at the Smyth compound so he is behind a bit...It can't take more than a day to complete the hardware update.. I'm not sure how long it takes to test the units after the mods... and it should take about 15 minutes to put them back into the shipping box and get them labeled for shipment... I assume they will ship the units and bill us for the shipment back to the states... won't be long now...:)

I was told by James when dealing with getting the A16 back to them that they would facilitate the return shipping and invoice us. He also said it shouldn’t be more than $120 as that’s what it costs them to send new units to the US insured via UPS.

May 20, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #8,912 of 16,005
Didn't they say initially that you have to organize both ways by yourself?
I think it is much better for everyone if they send them back and charge you, esp. because they have a business account at UPS I presume.
This leaves you with the customs problems though and that's already a lot for you outside the EU (as far as I understand at the moment although Brexit happened inside EU there's some sort of deal that you don't have to pay customs for a while?)

May 20, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #8,913 of 16,005
Didn't they say initially that you have to organize both ways by yourself?
I think it is much better for everyone if they send them back and charge you, esp. because they have a business account at UPS I presume.
This leaves you with the customs problems though and that's already a lot for you outside the EU (as far as I understand at the moment although Brexit happened inside EU there's some sort of deal that you don't have to pay customs for a while?)

That was originally what they said, but after I told James it cost $400 to ship it to them and there were $900 in import fees I asked if he could make it easy on us and facilitate return shipping. He said they would and that it’s never cost them more than $120 to ship to the US with $3995 of insurance. We still would need to work on the reclaim process from the entry to the UK, but if this trip to the US is the same as last year I believe there was a total of $37 due upon entry into the US in fees.

May 20, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #8,916 of 16,005
By the way: I heard Gilles Gerin offers an Atmos PRIR measurement at a relatively low rate.
Can one of the french friends tell us more about this, what room, what speakers, the price, sync or async? If async which of the gazillion possibilities? (no. of look angles, with or without vertical looks, 12 or 4s sweeps with or without overlap?)

May 20, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #8,917 of 16,005
Good to hear that! I think in the end it's also easier for them.

Yeah. It will be easier on everyone. Hopefully they don't change their minds and go back to having us all setup our own return shipping.

May 20, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #8,918 of 16,005
The control app could come in handy as the screen isn't that large for across the room navigation.. so having an app on an ipad or iphone will be pretty cool....might be a good time for me to test my wireless solution too...
If it can be used for things like making Prirs, then it will be useful. If all it does is enable volume change, not so much.

May 20, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #8,919 of 16,005
By the way: I heard Gilles Gerin offers an Atmos PRIR measurement at a relatively low rate.
Can one of the french friends tell us more about this, what room, what speakers, the price, sync or async? If async which of the gazillion possibilities? (no. of look angles, with or without vertical looks, 12 or 4s sweeps with or without overlap?)

It is announced on this page, but details are rather sparse:

https://av-in.com/collections/smyth...nnelle-de-salle-7-1-4-pour-smyth-realiser-a16

The page just mentions what it is offering, namely a personal PRIR measurement of a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos virtual room configuration for use with the A-16 (Mesure personnelle de salle 7.1.4 pour Smyth Realiser A16) for a fee of 150.00 Euros

--It also says the service is available by appointment at "our Paris location" (or shop/premises? I suppose that is the 16 allée de fontainebleau address) (Sur rendez-vous à Paris*, dans nos locaux, vous avez la possibilité de venir faire une capture acoustique personnalisée, afin de profiter d'une salle virtuelle Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 parfaitement ajustée à vos oreilles, sur votre Smyth Realiser A16.)

--That the captured PRIR file will be placed on an SD card for the client, and that one can also optionally have their personal headphones measured, if needed (Le fichier de capture PRIR (Personal Room Impulse Response) obtenu vous est remis sur carte SD. Inclut également la mesure personnelle du casque, au besoin.)

--The service automatically entitles the client to a one year membership of the "Club Realiser," and access to additional downloadable PRIR files (If "Club Realiser," is just a fancy name for the Realiser Exchange, then I will just heave a sigh of exasperation, and not comment any further) (Ce service donne également accès au Club Realiser de téléchargement de fichiers PRIR pour 1 an.)

Capture_PRIR_1024x1024.jpg
Club_Realiser_5cf5961c-ab82-44a9-99e1-f9e33340c546_1024x1024.jpg

***These logos, and the page itself do not leave the largest footprint I have seen, but the page invites the interested party to "contact us" for more information, which is provided on demand, and as needed, I suppose.

That is all I can glean from the page. Maybe our French friends :) , who know more can add some extra details? If serious about using the service, then I think contacting GG personally for more info would be the way to go.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #8,920 of 16,005
I have an A8 PRIR from Gilles Gerin. It was measured at his home in Paris on what I assume was his home system, not at any shop/ retail premises. I generally don't use it too much as I have a better quality PRIR measured with some very high-end speakers.

May 20, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #8,921 of 16,005
Here is a list of those PRIR available on the club realiser :
http://www.smyth-realiser.fr/?t=fichiers_salle

Customers also received 1 more PRIR from Gilles. I tried that one but I am sticking with the one from René on the dropbox.

As far as all those others are concerned, it is difficult to find answers on the forum HCFR. One of them is from 2014 :
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178150241.html?hilit=club realiser#p178150241
…the best is AV-IN “Granspectacle2” for cinema and “Musique anglaise” for music…

Someone else said in 2020 on a site I will not name because his opinion was unilaterally expunged from the forum (don’t ask) :
…all the rooms are very similar.… “Grand spectacle” 7,1.4 which gives the best result for Dolby TV shows, and the BBC room 9.1.6 for movies”…

Knowing all the above I am not tempted to sample them one by one. I would rather wait for the Realiser Exchange.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #8,923 of 16,005
That was originally what they said, but after I told James it cost $400 to ship it to them and there were $900 in import fees I asked if he could make it easy on us and facilitate return shipping. He said they would and that it’s never cost them more than $120 to ship to the US with $3995 of insurance. We still would need to work on the reclaim process from the entry to the UK, but if this trip to the US is the same as last year I believe there was a total of $37 due upon entry into the US in fees.
While yours will, appropriately, be insured for $3995, I anticipate that mine(and other Kickstarter units) will be insured for the amount stated on our original invoices(in my case, 774 GBP).

May 20, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #8,925 of 16,005
I got a PRIR measurement done at a trade show by Smyth Research and they said my kickstarter unit would have it loaded in when I receive it. I haven’t gotten my unit yet — does anyone know if these personal measurements are coming loaded into the user presets ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back