Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 18, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #8,386 of 16,050
I have to be honest and say that, as much as I love the A16, the supplied cables do not appear to be particularly substantial. I can only imagine what would happen if my cat took a sudden interest to one. Of course, plenty of folks sell cables with 3.5 mm jacks terminating each end. I wonder, however, if anyone sells (sturdy) replacement in ear microphones compatible with the A16. For instance, are there any 3rd party binaural microphones that would do the trick?
The binaural mics are the mission critical component. My understanding is that the Realiser is calibrated to that particular microphone, and having read the manual, and familiarized my self with the menu tree, I don't see a way to recalibrate my A16 for 3rd party binaural in ear mics, though there are plenty of them in the market.

Mar 18, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #8,387 of 16,050
The binaural mics are the mission critical component. My understanding is that the Realiser is calibrated to that particular microphone, and having read the manual, and familiarized my self with the menu tree, I don't see a way to recalibrate my A16 for 3rd party binaural in ear mics, though there are plenty of them in the market.
Thanks for the reply and enjoy your “better than new” A16 when it arrives safely in your hands.

Mar 19, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #8,388 of 16,050
for your information only :
- if you buy from the French importer, there is a clearance sales at EUR 3.990 instead of EUR 4.290 for the 16 channels Realiser and in limited quantities
https://av-in.com/collections/smyth-realiser/products/smyth-realiser-a16-format-horizontal
- there remains at the same time on that site an upgrade from 16 channels to 24 channels for EUR 497.
- no info on the sale of a fully integrated 24 channels new machine

No sign on any of that on the Smyth site.

Mar 19, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #8,389 of 16,050
- if you buy from the French importer, there is a clearance sales at EUR 3.990 instead of EUR 4.290 for the 16 channels Realiser and in limited quantities
https://av-in.com/collections/smyth-realiser/products/smyth-realiser-a16-format-horizontal
- there remains at the same time on that site an upgrade from 16 channels to 24 channels for EUR 497.

This is stock the French importer has ready?

Mar 19, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #8,391 of 16,050

i think I can guess for the fully upgraded machine: EUR 4.487 :wink:. Does not quite make sense to since I assume that retail price for the realiser bought new today remains the same and obviously contains latest boards.

Mar 21, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #8,393 of 16,050
My understanding is that the Realiser is calibrated to that particular microphone

Seems unlikely to me, never heard of any microphone calibration inside the Realiser. Do you have a source for this?

In the A8 thread there was some discussion that the microphone pairs are matched by the Smyths so that the inevitable mic-to-mic variations in the frequency response curves are at least similar for the left and right ear. It was also a motivation to use the same mics for PRIR and HPEQ measurements so that the imperfections cancel each other out. I am however also not sure about this.

At some point it would be great to have another interview with the Smyths which dives really deep into these technical but still practically relevant aspects. So far the only interview of this kind is https://www.homecinema-fr.com/smyth-realiser-a16-interview-de-stephen-smyth/ . In any case anybody has not heard it yet, I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #8,394 of 16,050
Seems unlikely to me, never heard of any microphone calibration inside the Realiser. Do you have a source for this?

I don't think he's referring to an individual calibration for each microphone, but a general design (supply voltage, impedance, frequency response) for the type of microphone used. Similar to how the A8 microphone cannot be used without additional measures.

Mar 21, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #8,395 of 16,050
I don't think he's referring to an individual calibration for each microphone, but a general design (supply voltage, impedance, frequency response) for the type of microphone used. Similar to how the A8 microphone cannot be used without additional measures.
[/QUO

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #8,396 of 16,050
Mar 21, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #8,397 of 16,050
Besides @RENE Lou’s procedure of creating a 9.1.6ch PRIR with just two stereo speakers (post #7,316 of Nov 17, 2019), there is Gilles GERIN’s practical exercise: Créer une salle virtuelle 7.1.4 à partir d’une paire d’enceintes amplifiée (stéréo) (v.1.0) or in English (by Google translate): Create a 7.1.4 virtual room from an amplified pair of speakers (stereo) (v.1.0).

I’ve learned about this procedure by reading at homecinema-fr.com forum, where a user, aka @Fox1977, posted the following link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/egbmn3mkkojpopg/Fiche - recréer une salle virtuelle 7-1-4.pdf

The French text is not so difficult to understand by using Google translate and I think it might be interesting to hear the opinions of some existing owners of the Realiser A16.

Mar 22, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #8,398 of 16,050
Besides @RENE Lou’s procedure of creating a 9.1.6ch PRIR with just two stereo speakers (post #7,316 of Nov 17, 2019), there is Gilles GERIN’s practical exercise: Créer une salle virtuelle 7.1.4 à partir d’une paire d’enceintes amplifiée (stéréo) (v.1.0) or in English (by Google translate): Create a 7.1.4 virtual room from an amplified pair of speakers (stereo) (v.1.0).

I’ve learned about this procedure by reading at homecinema-fr.com forum, where a user, aka @Fox1977, posted the following link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/egbmn3mkkojpopg/Fiche - recréer une salle virtuelle 7-1-4.pdf

The French text is not so difficult to understand by using Google translate and I think it might be interesting to hear the opinions of some existing owners of the Realiser A16.
Does not want to translate for me. Do I have to sign into dropbox? Would it be possible to post English translation here?

Mar 22, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #8,399 of 16,050
I downloaded Fiche - recréer une salle virtuelle 7-1-4.pdf file and translated the text with Google translate. Then, I skimmed through the translated text to change what I considered oddly translated expressions. I’m quite reluctant to post the translated text here as I’m not sure whether or not it might be considered a copyright infringement.

Mar 22, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #8,400 of 16,050
Do I have to sign into dropbox? Would it be possible to post English translation here?
You don’t have to sign into dropbox. After you downloaded Fiche - recréer une salle virtuelle 7-1-4.pdf file you can translate the text with Google translate. However, not at once. Copy one section of the text and paste it into Google translate and then repeat this operation until all text is translated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back