Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 14, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #7,847 of 15,987
First one remark: don't think you absolutely need very expensive headphones and amps to get a very good out-of-head experience: I tried with a modest $150,- Sennheiser Massdrop HD58X on the A16's built-in headphone amp and the out-of-head experience was very convincing for me. (Using personal measured PRIR and HPEQ). You can always try better headphones later.
On the topic of the headphone amp, where in the "soundchain" do you place the amp when using the amp with the A16.
Both user A and B part have it's own:
-normal headphone output
-an analog stereo cinch output that can be connected to an external headphone amp.
-optical and coaxial stereo spdif output that can be connected to an external DAC
(all these outputs output the processed signal intended for the headphones).
Note that for both user A and B a different stereo headphone signal is generated, so they can not share one external stereo amp or DAC.

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #7,848 of 15,987
I will try to test a system first (hopefully in the coming weeks/months) and I expect that it will live up to it's expectations.

Good luck finding a place where you can test the A16. Maybe even with your own PRIR?

I already know that the Sennheiser hd 800 s is often recommended as a good headphone for the system. I tried them out and do like the sound but I have a hard time getting over the lack of bass (especially when watching movies).

The HD800 is not bass shy with the A16, if you are using the bass functions provided.

First one remark: don't think you absolutely need very expensive headphones and amps to get a very good out-of-head experience: I tried with a modest $150,- Sennheiser Massdrop HD58X on the A16's built-in headphone amp and the out-of-head experience was very convincing for me. (Using personal measured PRIR and HPEQ). You can always try better headphones later.

For the out-of-head experience it is not necessary to go expensive. But the design of the headphones plays a role in what you will get out.
The transparency of the HD800 is just great for the A16. Also the HD800 is transparent when it comes to outside noises. So the soundfield created by the A16 is smoothly integrated into the reality.

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #7,850 of 15,987
HD800's....

Using straight from the A16 or amped?
I have a KHadas Tone Board and a THX AAA 789 Massdrop amp, so I'll probably not be making much use of the A16s amp when it arrives.

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #7,853 of 15,987
Hi All,I already know that the Sennheiser hd 800 s is often recommended as a good headphone for the system. I tried them out and do like the sound but I have a hard time getting over the lack of bass (especially when watching movies).
You should not worry about any actual or perceived deficiencies in the frequency response of headphones you use with the A16. As long as they are able to reproduce the given frequency at sufficient level with low distortion, the A16 will fix this automatically with the HPEQ. You should also be able to tweak the frequency response to your liking. If you ever have a desire to get the same kind of bass boost without the A16, maybe something like the RME ADI-2 could help.

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #7,855 of 15,987
The set top was fully green when I turn on, and change the light according to the position of the head tracker, but when I press PA green button to start listening, it shows 4 light as a cross and stop working.then about 15 mins in it works again
On a side note, is Smyth room profiles sharing on? Is there a social network site that we can create and owners can share the room files? I know some of you guys here really against using files other than with measurement from your own ear, but Im travelling all the time and cannot bring it to anyone I know with good room and speaker, so file sharing is good for me.

Jan 15, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #7,856 of 15,987
Is there a social network site that we can create and owners can share the room files?
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MWWb8KELPBbAC5WSHf82UXeV73v1O84W?usp=sharing

There are more then 100 PRIR files available on Google Drive you can use with your A16 (PRIR2xxx format).

I have put all A8 files for reuse with an A16 in a folder called "2) A8 PRIR files for A16 (incl. converted PRIR0xxx files)", you will find it here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1R83ko4Skj0n44OQ5amRfDQKnJVMGXMdK

I made several directories on Google drive (see links in my closing): directory "1)..." contains all files of the former A8 dropbox folder. The A8 used two different formats:
  1. PRIR0xxx files (these A8 files are to old to be reused by an A16, but can be converted with a newer A8 to the PRIR2xxx file format)
  2. PRIR2xxx files (these files can be copied to an SD card and loaded into an A16, the A16 will convert them to the A16 format at the time of coping it into the internal A16 memory)
Comment to 1.):
I uploaded a list of PRIR0xxx files ('List of PRIR0xxx files to be converted (currently missing)', at the moment approx. 60 files) in directory "2)..." which need to be converted to the PRIR2xxx format still. After conversion to the PRIR2xxx format they can be reused with an A16 as well. If someone has an HDMI A8 at hand (and some spare time): please be so kind and convert these PRIR0xxx files (available in folder "1)...") with your HDMI A8 to the PRIR2xxx format and upload the PRIR2xxx files to Google Drive. I will copy them to the directory "2) A8 PRIR files for A16 (incl. converted PRIR0xxx files)" for others to reuse afterwards.

Comment to 2.):
1st of all: Thank you to Dixter for converting and uploading the file. Unfortunately it is limited to your A16 due to current A16 software limitations. Please be aware that if you are loading an A8 PRIR2xxx file into your A16 and save the converted A16 file to the SD card, the converted A16 file will be locked to your specific A16 unfortunately (similar as if you would have set 'Lock PRIRs' to "ON" in Settings -> System -> Measurement settings). This is true at least for the current A16 software version 1.75. If you save this converted file to the SD card this file can be used by your specific A16 only (serial number protected). This is the reason that I will not move your file to the folder "2)..." since the file is locked (when I try to copy your file to my A16, I get the message "Use of file unauthorized"). That I will not copy your file is not a problem for other A16 users since the source file (PRIR2088_DarinF_Macigo_Enigma_Tweeter.SVS) is available here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19ZXOLCd_W3wLYj2LDZR4SS4ZqS3JKKHr

Darin used our A8 dropbox files as a source for his OOYH, so no need to convert OOYH files with the A16, just use the true original A8 files available to you for free on Google Drive. We (former A8 users including Darin) loaded all of those files for others to reuse on dropbox some years ago, so feel free to use them with the A16. Darin developed his OOYH software with some help of other A8 users and used the A8 as his reference. Darin by the way never asked us (A8 users) if he is allowed to reuse our free files and sell them for money. I leave it up to you what you think of it.

All the files are there (>100), just a short list ("gold mine" as you said):
  • Wilson Audio Sasha
  • MSM studio (several persons files)
  • AIX studios B&W (several persons files)
  • AIX studios JBL THX (several persons files)
  • Magico
  • Sonus Faber
  • Focal Scala
  • Focal JMlab Nova Utopia Be
  • Genelec
  • KEF
  • B&W 804S
  • Martin Logan Summit X
  • Quad 57
Give it a try with your A16 - it's all free :)

If you want to share your own A16 PRIR file with others, just upload it to Google Drive and let me know.

Jan 16, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #7,857 of 15,987
Just got my A16 2u via UPS, Serial no. is 229.

Jan 16, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #7,859 of 15,987
Thanks everybody for the usefull tips!
"You should not worry about any actual or perceived deficiencies in the frequency response of headphones you use with the A16. As long as they are able to reproduce the given frequency at sufficient level with low distortion, the A16 will fix this automatically with the HPEQ. You should also be able to tweak the frequency response to your liking. If you ever have a desire to get the same kind of bass boost without the A16, maybe something like the RME ADI-2 could help"
thanks the ADI-2 DAC seems good value and quality, the ADI 2 Pro fs seems also interesting because there you can drive 2 headphones at the same time. Does anybody know if you can drive 2 headphones simultaneously from different sources (to be able to choose the headphone output 1 and 2 from the A16 as a source? If that's possible the ADI 2 pro would be interesting for me, otherwise the ADI-2 DAC seems the better choice
Has anybody tried empyreans on the a16?
Thx for the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back