Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 30, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #7,741 of 15,989
Thank you very much i recline in bed but head is.vertical. maybe slight back.
Would love the sound to come from center of the tv. C and sound 3 ft each side L R. Then 3 others. C.L.R. 8 ft away..
Can i do that with just a16. . Do i need to buy speaker. Question now what speaker. Do i need an amp. Has well....

This unit been my dream. For 17 years
Just wont it to blow my mind.
Not just out of head experience.

Will get some with me to remeasure .
While im in the position.

Dec 30, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #7,742 of 15,989
@You Gene:
Maybe a stupid question, but just to be sure:
You did unzip the actual firmware file first, so you put FIRMA001.SVS on the sd card, and not FIRMA001.zip?

And your A16 still funtions now, the 1.76 firmware still ok?

Yes I deleted the zip file first and and put the remaining unzipped file .SVS on the SD card.
Yes my A16 is back to normal with manloud, users, upmix, everything. It is as though nothing happened but I will soon be the guy with the oldest firmware in the world!

Dec 30, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #7,744 of 15,989
Yes I deleted the zip file first and and put the remaining unzipped file .SVS on the SD card.
And the SD card is formatted as FAT 32?
And you created the 'realiser' folder and put the firmware file in there?

If updating really doesn't work anymore I think you will have to contact Smyth.
One thing you could still try, but I am not 100% sure that it's wise in this case, is try to directly install the latest version, 1.81.

Dec 30, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #7,745 of 15,989
Couple of basic questions that are not discussed in the manual:
- I'm using an Apple TV 4K which outputs multichannel PCM over HDMI. Should I set the HDMI to be Direct or upsample to Dolby Surround?
- When using the BBC rooms, is there any reason I would set them in Presets to be anything other that 9.1.6 ?

Let me try to rephrase this in hopes of getting some advice from those more expert in multichannel sound...

For 6 channel PCM with the BBC room, is it best to use direct mode (ie no upsampling) and set my virtual speakers to 5.1? Or, should I use Dolby Surround upsampling and set my speakers to 9.1.6?

My ears say that the upsampling is more enveloping, but lower resolution. Is there any generally accepted advice on this?

Also, I'm wondering why someone would set their BBC Atmos configuration to less than 9.1.6?

BTW, I found some Dolby Atmos content to try last night and it was the first time I've heard my A-16 sound really impressive (using an external DAC and my calibrated STAX-009). However, I'm experiencing the virtual speakers as closely encircling my head. I wish I had the PRIR I created with the Smyths (and was promised would be provided with my A-16). It was far more convincing for me than the BBC PRIR has been.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #7,746 of 15,989
For 6 channel PCM with the BBC room, is it best to use direct mode (ie no upsampling) and set my virtual speakers to 5.1? Or, should I use Dolby Surround upsampling and set my speakers to 9.1.6?
(One little remark: it is upmixing, upsampling is something different.)
I don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer, it is about what you prefer. And that may also depend on the content that you listen to, and on the quality and realism of the PRIR that you are using.

Dec 30, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #7,747 of 15,989
(One little remark: it is upmixing, upsampling is something different.)
I don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer, it is about what you prefer. And that may also depend on the content that you listen to, and on the quality and realism of the PRIR that you are using.

Sorry, meant upmixing, of course. I was just wondering why others are setting it differently. I noticed a few people posting screen shots showing them using 5.1 or 7.2 etc with the BBC room.

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #7,748 of 15,989
Unzip. Then take out of the folder has well
And the SD card is formatted as FAT 32?
And you created the 'realiser' folder and put the firmware file in there?

If updating really doesn't work anymore I think you will have to contact Smyth.
One thing you could still try, but I am not 100% sure that it's wise in this case, is try to directly install the latest version, 1.81.

Yes my SD card is formatted FAT 32
The card was assigned to my drive i ; I created a file for my SD card entitled REALISER. I then downloaded with "save as" the zip file to the REALISER file on the SD card. I extracted it and deleted the zip file. I only had under the REALISER file the FIRMA001.SVS file.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Dec 30, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #7,751 of 15,989
Question now what speaker. Do i need an amp.
If you use a normal passive speaker then you will also need an amp.
Can't you borrow a speaker and amp from someone? When you buy one only for a few measurements it is difficult to decide which one. For one time only you wouldn't want to spend a lot of money, but for a really good measurement...
Another possibility is to rent a speaker. In my country there are shops/companies where you can rent all sorts of studio- and live music related stuff, for example Genelic 1031A active studio monitors for 50 Euro the first day, and then 35 Euro for each extra day. With such active speakers you don't need an amp. (But make sure you have the right cable, maybe an extra adaptor cable, to connect it to the 3.5 mm jack line outputs of the A16.) Often you can also get stands with them to set them up at the desired height.

Dec 30, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #7,752 of 15,989
I just did it with "realiser" in small letters. No change.

I also sent an email via Smyth Realiser web site.

And I will buy a new SD card just in case.

And of course I just might do a factory reset if all else fails.

But it also might just be an error on my part.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #7,753 of 15,989
I just did it with "realiser" in small letters. No change.

I also sent an email via Smyth Realiser web site.

And I will buy a new SD card just in case.

And of course I just might do a factory reset if all else fails.

But of it might just be an error on my part.

I deleted my suggestion because I checked and the FAT-32 disk format is not case sensitive. Good luck.

Dec 31, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #7,754 of 15,989
Thank you very much i recline in bed but head is.vertical. maybe slight back.
Would love the sound to come from center of the tv. C and sound 3 ft each side L R. Then 3 others. C.L.R. 8 ft away..
Can i do that with just a16. . Do i need to buy speaker. Question now what speaker. Do i need an amp. Has well....

This unit been my dream. For 17 years
Just wont it to blow my mind.
Not just out of head experience.

Thank you.

Will get some with me to remeasure .
While im in the position.

@sander99 gave already some suggestions. And I agree that lending active studio loudspeakers with a person to help to set it up. It might be wise to try to get it done in one go. So if financially feasible have a 7.1 done in one go.
Do not forget to bring as much carpets, plants and blankets into your room as possible. Reducing echoes is so helpful to establish a clear sound. Sander99 and I did put a lot of effort in bringing many diffusers and carpets I have in my studio into the room where we did the measurements. So the sound quality I have for 2.0 is wow!
I still need to understand better the bass management. Maybe a pro could do a skype call with me?

Alternatively, is there any chance for you to visit a home cinema shop in your town / vicinity? I guess if possible it would be best to wait until the video files for the asynchronous PRIR measurement method are available on the Smyth website. Because this would make things much easier and quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back