Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 14, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #6,452 of 15,986
It's so refreshing to be asked permission. I'm fine if you use my files personally, that's what they were for. I don't recall the drop box owner, his name started with an S I think. There is a thread, so maybe search.

There is absolutely no permission needed from Darin since he took files from there without asking anyone for permission and now he actually charges money for them. That to me is unethical. I emailed him once, no reply. I know he took my Egyptian Theater PRIR because there were only three of us there and I know Daryl didn't put up his PRIR, I did. Anyway, karma is karma, but it is difficult for me to watch people praise OOYH. I think he also did some slimy things with Smyth but Lorr wouldn't say.

Thanks blubliss... looks like silverlight is the gate keeper for the drop box... I have PM'd him, so we wait... there are other options but will be better to keep it all together..

enjoy...

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #6,453 of 15,986
I ran into an annoying problem. I liste to music (mainly CDs) with my Oppo 103 (sometimes mp3). I connected it via HDMI to the A16 and the JVC projector to the HDMI out.
10 s of every track are silent, this is what happens! When the CD starts, 10 s silence, the next track starts, 10 s silence, skip forward of backward, 10 s silence, fast forward or rewind, after that 10 s silence. So I can't even rewind to the beginning of the track, because there will again be 10 s silence. The same with mp3s. Immediately when the music stops, no matter what the cause is, the A16 loses the HDMI stream. It says in red letters that there's no HDMI audio. And if it finds the HDMI stream again it takes 10 s til you hear the sound.

This is totally annoying. I can't listen to music that way. There's a slight chance that its the JVC projector, because handshake is always sn issue with JVC, but I don't really think so. Seems that it's the Oppo together with the A16. I have to explore this further, try it with the Panasonic player and try Spdif instead of HDMI.

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #6,454 of 15,986
I ran into an annoying problem. I liste to music (mainly CDs) with my Oppo 103 (sometimes mp3). I connected it via HDMI to the A16 and the JVC projector to the HDMI out.
10 s of every track are silent, this is what happens! When the CD starts, 10 s silence, the next track starts, 10 s silence, skip forward of backward, 10 s silence, fast forward or rewind, after that 10 s silence. So I can't even rewind to the beginning of the track, because there will again be 10 s silence. The same with mp3s. Immediately when the music stops, no matter what the cause is, the A16 loses the HDMI stream. It says in red letters that there's no HDMI audio. And if it finds the HDMI stream again it takes 10 s til you hear the sound.

This is totally annoying. I can't listen to music that way. There's a slight chance that its the JVC projector, because handshake is always sn issue with JVC, but I don't really think so. Seems that it's the Oppo together with the A16. I have to explore this further, try it with the Panasonic player and try Spdif instead of HDMI.

I’ve had this same issue with playing media through Plex on my Nvidia Shurld in and off. Sometimes if I pause something it breaks the connection with the A16 and it takes like 5-10 seconds for the sound to come back after unpausing.

Sep 14, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #6,455 of 15,986
Similar problems here: Whenever there is the slightest pause in the audio, the A16 loses the signal, and when the audio comes up again, it needs a variable amount of time before you hear anything again. Playing bullet chess where you need the acoustic confirmation of the moves is impossible. Quite a special interest niche, I know. I have not systematically tested yet in what kind of audio signals this happens.

Another dubious behaviour: When I connected the A16 HDMI output to the AVR, the TV picture had severe artefacts even when another HDMI source was selected. When I disconnected the A16 HDMI, the picture was immediately fine again. Needs also more thorough investigation.

Which brings me to another feature that was announced but is not implemented (yet): Using the A16 with a headphone and in parallel send through the audio signal (ideally the full, untampered stream) to an AVR/active speakers/soundbar. Use case: One person (me) listens to the full sound over headphone, while another person (the wife) prefers a quieter sound over external speakers without having to mess with headphones.

I have a HTPC with a RTX2080Ti as my main picture/sound source and a PS4. No idea yet how to connect those 2 sources with both the A16 and an AVR/active speakers/soundbar so that one can easily switch between (or use in parallel) headphone and external speakers. I thought this would be possible over HDMI with the A16 as the central hub (and maybe getting rid of the AVR completely), but it seems impossible (at the moment). I am already looking into HDMI splitters. Sigh...

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #6,456 of 15,986
I, too, have detected that very long delay when starting up a source. For example one case is when I am using an Oppo 103 (HDMI audio output set to LPCM) connected with its audio-only HDMI2-out t the A16's HDMI1-in, and using Preset 01 on the A16 which is my 5.1 room but which can support Atmos, DTS:X or PCM data streams.

When starting play of something on the 103 (either say from a disc or via its HDMI input) I have no sound from the headphones for the aforementioned 5-10 seconds. I suspect the time delay before sound is actually produced is coming from the A16 reading the input stream from its specified HDMI source and having to decide (dynamically) what the stream type is, in order to decide whether to select the Atmos, DTS:X or PCM room configuration.

This is very definitely a very negative feature.

My thought is that there needs to be a new firmware option perhaps in preset configurations but relating to HDMI input, which allows pre-selection of a fixed HDMI input source and also a pre-selection of of a fixed data stream type for that HDMI source. That way there would be no need to dynamically determine the stream type, and the correct room configuration could instantly be chosen.

So in my case, my Preset 01 would be configured for (a) HDMI1 input, and (b) LPCM data input, to support my Oppo 103 feeding its HDMI2 output to HSMI1-in of the A16. In other words, configured just as the A8 would have functioned with its single HDMI input and only support for LPCM input. There is no 10 second delay in sound output from the A8 when starting up HDMI input from a source.

Also, I could pre-configure HDMI2 input for Preset 01, this time with BITSTREAM/Atmos data input (e.g. to support my Oppo 203 feeding its HDMI2 output to HDMI2-in of the A16).

The objective is clearly to eliminate the need to dynamically determine HDMI stream type in order to dynamically decide which room configuration to use, either when starting a source up or when temporarily interrupting (e.g. CD track change) the data stream from that source.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #6,457 of 15,986
Does anyone know if the headphone measurement has any volume setting. I tried measuring in high gain and it went into the reds. I tried lowering the volume of the headphone but it did the same thing, so it seems to control the volume. But if it controls the volume why would it end up in the reds? When I measured in medium gain it stayed out of the reds.

What does everyone set their mic gain to? Mine is at 6db. It might be the default. But for the first time today I measured someone else and realized how loud it was playing the speakers since my ear wasn’t plugged up with the mic. It seemed to the point it might damage some systems to get to that level. Seems like if the speakers also play at a lower level you could get more linear response than at very high levels where distortion is going to be higher.

Sep 14, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #6,458 of 15,986
@dsperber:
Try if the following Max Vol values can be set higher than 79:

Home Page menu >> Settings >> System >> Volume settings >>
Max Vol A
Max Vol B
Max Vol line
You're absolutely correct. I was unaware of that setting.

And as you pointed out, the default max volume was delivered as 79. I've now adjusted this up to 95.

Turns out 79 wasn't too far off from what I needed to satisfy my own tastes for "normal" volume on most source content. But I did need a bit higher than that, up just a smidgen to 82 or 83. That's all it took to satisfy me.

Case closed. Thanks.

Sep 14, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #6,459 of 15,986
You're absolutely correct. I was unaware of that setting.

And as you pointed out, the default max volume was delivered as 79. I've now adjusted this up to 95.

Turns out 79 wasn't too far off from what I needed to satisfy my own tastes for "normal" volume on most source content. But I did need a bit higher than that, up just a smidgen to 82 or 83. That's all it took to satisfy me.

Case closed. Thanks.

I kind of think the max volume is set lower as I feel the a16 uses a digital volume control. And if you go too high you hit digital clipping especially with the processing. When I was in low gain mode I raised that max because it was too quiet at 79 and I started getting clipping. So I lowered it back.

Sep 14, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #6,460 of 15,986
I kind of think the max volume is set lower as I feel the a16 uses a digital volume control. And if you go too high you hit digital clipping especially with the processing. When I was in low gain mode I raised that max because it was too quiet at 79 and I started getting clipping. So I lowered it back.
The analog GAIN control only affects analog output to the headphones, using the built-in headphone amp. It does not affect digital optical/coax output such as I'm using feeding optical to my external DAC.

So whereas if you're using the analog headphone outputs both GAIN and digital volume are relevant and so you have to strike an appropriate balance to get sound at the level you want. But with digital headphone output only the digital volume is relevant. And for me and my own external DAC/amp/headphone equipment 79 as a maximum is just not quite high enough for my own needs and tastes. Adjusting the theoretical maximum to 95 doesn't mean I am going to ever turn up the volume to that level, it just means I need something higher than the delivered maximum of 79. And in fact I actually only really needed 82-83 to make me happy, not anything near the new max limit of 95. So maybe I'll drop it down to 87 or so, just to ensure I never accidentally send something that high to my external equipment.

Anyway, I was originally unaware that this max limit could be changed. I've now adjusted it up and all is once again well with the world, at least as far as resolving this volume issue.

On the other matter, however, of the 10-15 second delay any time your source HDMI audio stream is interrupted (e.g. PAUSE while watching a movie or HDTV, or REW/SKIP-back/SKIP-forward, or anything really that interrupts and then continues HDMI data stream), this really is simply an unacceptable implementation. They're clearly going to have to implement a "locked mode" that sits on only one fixed stream configuration for a given HDMI input and does not go through 10-15 seconds of dynamic interrogation every time the HDMI audio stream starts or resumes.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #6,461 of 15,986
The analog GAIN control only affects analog output to the headphones, using the built-in headphone amp. It does not affect digital optical/coax output such as I'm using feeding optical to my external DAC.

So whereas if you're using the analog headphone outputs both GAIN and digital volume are relevant and so you have to strike an appropriate balance to get sound at the level you want. But with digital headphone output only the digital volume is relevant. And for me and my own external DAC/amp/headphone equipment 79 as a maximum is just not quite high enough for my own needs and tastes. Adjusting the theoretical maximum to 95 doesn't mean I am going to ever turn up the volume to that level, it just means I need something higher than the delivered maximum of 79. And in fact I actually only really needed 82-83 to make me happy, not anything near the new max limit of 95. So maybe I'll drop it down to 87 or so, just to ensure I never accidentally send something that high to my external equipment.

Anyway, I was originally unaware that this max limit could be changed. I've now adjusted it up and all is once again well with the world, at least as far as resolving this volume issue.

On the other matter, however, of the 10-15 second delay any time your source HDMI audio stream is interrupted (e.g. PAUSE while watching a movie or HDTV, or REW/SKIP-back/SKIP-forward, or anything really that interrupts and then continues HDMI data stream), this really is simply an unacceptable implementation. They're clearly going to have to implement a "locked mode" that sits on only one fixed stream configuration for a given HDMI input and does not go through 10-15 seconds of dynamic interrogation every time the HDMI audio stream starts or resumes.

I was referring to the headphone outputs. My statement was to comment it may not be a good idea to raise the volume max limit as I think it’s to give extra headroom for the processing to avoid clipping.

Sep 14, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #6,462 of 15,986
I ran into a problem. Not sure how to solve it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I decided to do a quick measurement of my stereo setup in forward and reverse to get a 4.0 system. The room was setup as a 4.0 room and I mapped all the speakers correctly.

However, now watching any movies or other material that have a center channel like 5.1 material, I don’t hear the center channel. My understanding is the a16 should remix incoming Audio to the speaker setup appropriately. So in this case not having a virtual center it should be mixing the center channel to the left and right but it doesn’t.

Any ideas?

Sep 14, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #6,463 of 15,986
However, now watching any movies or other material that have a center channel like 5.1 material, I don’t hear the center channel. My understanding is the a16 should remix incoming Audio to the speaker setup appropriately. So in this case not having a virtual center it should be mixing the center channel to the left and right but it doesn’t.
Inputting a Dolby bitstream source or something else? Or maybe that doesn't make a difference?

Sep 14, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #6,464 of 15,986
I ran into a problem. Not sure how to solve it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I decided to do a quick measurement of my stereo setup in forward and reverse to get a 4.0 system. The room was setup as a 4.0 room and I mapped all the speakers correctly.

Any ideas?

When you created the virtual room from the PRIR you measured did you set it up as a 4.0 room? Or did you create it as a 5.1 or 7.1 room and only add the 4 speakers to it?

Sep 14, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #6,465 of 15,986
When you created the virtual room from the PRIR you measured did you set it up as a 4.0 room?
He says he did:
The room was setup as a 4.0 room and I mapped all the speakers correctly.

If he only has the problem with multichannel PCM (or multichannel analog) input then maybe it is related to "7.2 The Preset Menu" and "7.2.7 PCM Audio management" in the manual. There they speak about choosing an upmixer to be used for PCM inputs (and I am just hoping an upmixer can also downmix, the word downmix does not occur in the manual). (Multichannel analog is also considered PCM).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back