Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 4, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #6,136 of 15,986
My Headstand A16 #13 has now been "held in a secured UPS location" for the last 26 hours. Last location was New Jersey.
Hope you guys are faring better.

Sep 4, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #6,137 of 15,986
My Headstand A16 #13 has now been "held in a secured UPS location" for the last 26 hours. Last location was New Jersey.

I picked mine up today.
I not had a chance to start setting it up yet, but I see I do have both headtrackers

Sep 4, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #6,138 of 15,986
held in a secured UPS location
"The Vault" by United Parcels of S.H.I.E.L.D?? :wink:
(sorry, couldn't resist, just watching Agents of SHIELD atm ...)

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #6,140 of 15,986
Addition to the angle-topic:
In this video at 4:05 you see a list of all the speakers in the two factory PRIRs of the BBC and the Surrey Uni rooms.
They have very different angles for some speakers and there are errors: At the BBC room they forgot the elevation angle for the left and right top front!
And looking at the photo of the Surrey room, I'd say that the top mid speakers don't have an elevation of 30 degrees as entered in the PRIR data. top front and top rear are also mentioned with 30 degrees. If the top middle speakers had the same elevation angle then all the top speakers would be in a circle around the listening position and it doesn't look like that on the photo. Ok, it could be distorted because of a wide angle lens. Here is a slighlty bigger version of the photo from the exchange site: https://realiserexchange.blob.core....905101047392618_surrey_uni_listening_room.jpg
and here from the BBC room: https://realiserexchange.blob.core....944099/images/201905101042529461_bbc_room.jpg

Can someone who already has an A16 check if those elevation angles in the BBC room are still wrong (0 degrees for top front speakers?)

So I think these angles are again just for info and not for remapping of the channels by the decoder.

But then there would be errors in sound object placement! For example front wide speakers should be at 60 degrees, in the BBC room they seem to be at 45 degrees.

Sep 4, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #6,141 of 15,986
My 2U which was supposed to be delivered by 3PM yesterday, and then "by end of day", was NOT delivered at all! It was on the truck for delivery, the driver delivered other packages to the building but left them on the table in the mail room, and he placed a door tag on my mailbox (rather than knocking on my door and leaving the door tag on my door if I didn't answer). Obviously he just wanted to call it a day early rather than come up the elevator for the delivery. I've complained bitterly to UPS (since I wasted 7 hours waiting at home for him to knock on my door and he never did, despite being in the building and actually carrying packages for delivery to others... even if he didn't deliver to them either).

To add insult to injury, speaking with customer support about this today I now discover there is a "brokerage fee" of $33.62 due on delivery, which I knew nothing about. Not one of any email correspondence received since last Friday nor any web site status update makes any mention of any money due from me. Also, not even the door tag which was left on my mailbox in the mailroom indicated that money was due (by money order or check, made out to UPS) advised either of the amount due or who the check should be made to. More fabulous customer relations. This is the reason I only ship Fedex.

Anyway, it's supposed to be re-delivered today by 3PM again. We shall see. And "they" will reprimand the driver who (a) failed to deliver the package on his truck as he never came to my door at allo, and (b) never wrote on the door tag about any money due to UPS.

We shall see what happens today.

Sep 4, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #6,142 of 15,986
My 2U which was supposed to be delivered by 3PM yesterday, and then "by end of day", was NOT delivered at all! It was on the truck for delivery, the driver delivered other packages to the building but left them on the table in the mail room, and he placed a door tag on my mailbox (rather than knocking on my door and leaving the door tag on my door if I didn't answer). Obviously he just wanted to call it a day early rather than come up the elevator for the delivery. I've complained bitterly to UPS (since I wasted 7 hours waiting at home for him to knock on my door and he never did, despite being in the building and actually carrying packages for delivery to others... even if he didn't deliver to them either).

To add insult to injury, speaking with customer support about this today I now discover there is a "brokerage fee" of $33.62 due on delivery, which I knew nothing about. Not one of any email correspondence received since last Friday nor any web site status update makes any mention of any money due from me. Also, not even the door tag which was left on my mailbox in the mailroom indicated that money was due (by money order or check, made out to UPS) advised either of the amount due or who the check should be made to. More fabulous customer relations. This is the reason I only ship Fedex.

Anyway, it's supposed to be re-delivered today by 3PM again. We shall see. And "they" will reprimand the driver who (a) failed to deliver the package on his truck as he never came to my door at allo, and (b) never wrote on the door tag about any money due to UPS.

We shall see what happens today.

I got charged $38 by UPS like two weeks after my A16 was delivered. I wasn’t asked to pay anything beforehand and the thing cleared customs within two hours of it entering the country. I actually went to a UPS facility to pick my delivery up because it’s was like a half mile from work and they even handed me the package without needing to pay anything.

Sep 4, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #6,144 of 15,986
Just been contacted by UPS to fill out a TSCA form before my package can be freed from "secure location"
I have since contacted Smyth about all this, for their future shipments.

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 4.21.46 PM.png

Sep 4, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #6,146 of 15,986
Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #6,147 of 15,986
Just been contacted by UPS to fill out a TSCA form before my package can be freed from "secure location"
I have since contacted Smyth about all this, for their future shipments.

Well that's weird. I didn't have to do that for my shipment a few weeks ago. I did have to provide UPS with verification of my identity to have my A16 released from customs though.

Sep 4, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #6,148 of 15,986
Well that's weird. I didn't have to do that for my shipment a few weeks ago. I did have to provide UPS with verification of my identity to have my A16 released from customs though.

Maybe the X-ray scan of the Headstand A16 freaked the AI.

Sep 4, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #6,149 of 15,986
Quickly opened it to check contents this morning. The packing slip said two headtrackers.... the contents was one head tracker and rack mount ears (I also did not pledge for these). I even emailed James the day after his email (a week and a half before they actually shipped) to remind him I pledged for two headtrackers. I really dont think its that hard to pick the order, to match the packing slip. I also got a european plug rather than Australian (Whch I also methioned in my email) but I have a few Aussie ones lying around, so less of a problem.

After the first issues with two head trackers not being sent out and wrong powe cords you think they would be paying more attention to this now. :triportsad:

Guess I beter have a quick play on the weekend to make sure the microphones work as I had one microphone DOA with the A8.

Are these the same micorphones as the A8 uses?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #6,150 of 15,986
Are these the same micorphones as the A8 uses?
No, I saw a specific warning somewhere not to use these with the A8 (or the other way round) because something could be damaged! I will check where I saw this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back