Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 1, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #6,091 of 15,987
So is the impulcifier fully Mac compatible? I tend to use Macs for most of my work and listening.

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #6,092 of 15,987
So is the impulcifier fully Mac compatible? I tend to use Macs for most of my work and listening.
Unfortunately I think it's PC only at the moment, but definitely reach out to the creator - he's very responsive and seems happy to help. His username is jaakkopasanen on here or you can try through the apps GitHub page. Good luck!

Edit to add: Importantly, the two programs that make this work once Impulcifer gets your personalized HRTF and impulse responses are HeSuVI and Equalizer APO. From what I can tell, both of those appear to be Windows only at this time.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #6,093 of 15,987
I have tried on two different computers installing the impulcifier and can't get it to install per his directions... not sure what I'm missing but just can't get it to load per his directions...

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #6,094 of 15,987

Yes, it’s Python, hence, it also works on Mac (tested). Just the initial command for the virtual environment is different.

For playback you don’t need HeSuVi. Any convolver will do; such as Reverberate (free), SIR, Waves IR1.

If there is interest I can provide you with my bespoke standalone processor (based on processing libraries from the University of Huddersfield) made in Max MSP (no need for Max, though). You just need to route the audio into the app; using, for example, Soundflower (free) or Loopback (paid). I run a 48 channel virtual speaker system with this setup (made with my own deconvolver and processing setup), but it works with any other speaker arrangement.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #6,095 of 15,987
Yes, it’s Python, hence, it also works on Mac (tested). Just the initial command for the virtual environment is different.

For playback you don’t need HeSuVi. Any convolver will do; such as Reverberate (free), SIR, Waves IR1.

If there is interest I can provide you with my bespoke standalone processor (based on processing libraries from the University of Huddersfield) made in Max MSP (no need for Max, though). You just need to route the audio into the app; using, for example, Soundflower (free) or Loopback (paid). I run a 48 channel virtual speaker system with this setup (made with my own deconvolver and processing setup), but it works with any other speaker arrangement.

Interesting. I'd definitely like to hear more about this solution. Maybe in PM? Please check your PM.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #6,097 of 15,987
HeSuVI and Equaliser APO are the easiest for doing multi channel playback (ala DTS/Dolby) though.

True, but they introduce lots of delay (measured min. 80 ms) and are totally not adequate for studio or research work. Not to mention issues with regards to phase.

Thus, Virtualizer may be the preferred platform for those who care about those features. Of course, it requires (virtual) routing, but that’s easily done nowadays.

But you are right in the sense of that different applications require their appropriate solutions.

Sep 2, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #6,100 of 15,987
Glad someone else has the wonderful Impulcifer working. It's free and we seem to get more communication and better support than a £4k device.

Some thoughts on the Realiser from using Impulcifer and with various home theater setups:

• Having a 9.1.6 HRIR in a tiny room isn't worth while. The reason you put in more channels than, 5.1.4 is due to the size of the room - if you have a small room stereo panning/imagining can take care of it. Even between a real 4 ceiling speaker vs 6, the only additional information you gain is the panning between the front and back. They're designed for bigger theaters. The 9.1.6 setup I've seen on YouTube that the Smyth's used at shows to capture is very small. So doing a 7.1.4 or 5.1.4 will be sufficient.
  • The room sound matters much more than the speaker. The sine sweep process doesn't actually model the speaker transient response. You might find that the 9.1.6 measurement captured in a busy/non treated room won't be ideal. I've got multiple measurements from different seating positions and they all serve a purpose. The near field ones are good for many Dolby Atmos movies (you still get 7.1 vs 5.1 with Atmos). For two channel music I really like the measurement I took from 2.5m away from my speakers - it has a lot more room.
  • Impulcifer is mobile - I used it in an airbnb for nearly a month via bluetooth headphones and a laptop hooked up to a TV.
  • Impulcifer's dev is implementing exciting features in the future like virtual room correction (both frequency and time domain/RT).

For those into all this also check out DTS Headphone X v2. It's by far the best synthesised system I've used and it has headphone compensation - and it adds real height channels for DTS:X movies. You'll have to be on a Windows Insider build though. See my post on it if you're interested.

I was really excited that the Smyth started shipping, now reading through this thread I have 0 interest in ever buying anything from a company that communicates so poorly. The measurement process just isn't feasible to obtain Atmos. It's fiddly enough to work with Impulcifer and that's quite a simple measurement process - but you can't keep binural mics in and re-wire your AVR. Trust me when you start doing it, you'll get how fiddly the whole process is.

The syntheised efforts are also getting incredibly good. I was talking to DTS and they actually found that headphone compensation made a much bigger difference in their internal experiments than even personalisation. All the big companies have fingers in the ear scanning pie so pretty soon it'll be available everywhere. But for now anyone waiting jump on Impulcifer. Amazing stuff.
I was surprised at how well compensation profiles work on Creative’s Super X-FI amp. I still imagine that the Realiser A16 will offer the best headphone VSS solution and user experience for those with the cash and the ability to obtain decent HRTF measurements but I too have gone from considering purchase to now thinking it’s not worth it for the time being.

I have tried the Hesuvi version of DTS X applied to multichannel PCM gaming audio along with the included EQUALISER APO compensation profiles for my headphones and found it good but not significantly better than the best of competing solutions (Atmos for headphone, Sennheiser GSX, Super X-FI, Waves NX etc.)
I was however initially very impressed with DTS X headphone V2 layered over Dolby Digital 5.1 as a console gaming solution offered by the SteelSeries Gamedac on movies and the games I tried on PS4 (and that was without headphone compensation) and found it held its own against my memory of Dolby headphone and Dolby Atmos for headphone on other systems, with DTS having better positioning depth but Atmos for headphone having somewhat better audio quality.
. . . At least that was until the other night when I briefly tried the gamedac on Xbox the other day with the Witcher 3 (where I could quickly switch between the DTS and Atmos for headphone) and it sounded awful. Cues were correct but quality was terrible, Atmos for headphone was much better in this instance. . . So either something was wrong with my config settings or else quality or rather the effect the algorithm has on quality is content dependent. Didn’t have time to investigate further.

In any case, I fully expect DTS X will sound much better when applied to actual DTS encoded content and of course when combined with compensation and look forward to trying it when it comes to Xbox and Windows regular user builds.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #6,102 of 15,987
Just received an email from James Smyth at Smyth Research asking for my mailing address. Too early for April Fools, so this could mean the 3 years may finally be over!
Time to clear up the desk and change my earpads.

Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 9.55.48 AM.png

I was #13 on the Kickstarter backer waitlist back on Sept 2016

Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 9.57.20 AM.png

.. and 80 minutes after I confirmed my address, my UPS label was made

O M G !

Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 11.09.29 AM.png

shipped from Northern Ireland

Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 12.45.28 PM.png

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #6,103 of 15,987
Just received an email from James Smyth at Smyth Research asking for my mailing address. Too early for April Fools, so this could mean the 3 years may finally be over!
Time to clear up the desk and change my earpads.

I was #13 on the Kickstarter backer waitlist back on Sept 2016

Great news! Did you pledge for a 2U rack or Headstand version?

Sep 2, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #6,104 of 15,987

Users who are viewing this thread

Back