Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 28, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #6,046 of 15,986
There’s a fifth realiser how to on YouTube

And a 6th video showing how to import files from the A8 to the A16 for those interested.

Aug 28, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #6,047 of 15,986
was hoping I would receive some type of e-mail today.....since there seemed to be a pattern of them being sent around on Tuesday
Yes your approach may end up with a better approximation of the room. I think got the shakes is measuring in-wall speakers though. My mains are golden ear triton ones. I won't be moving one of those!

Meanwhile I just sent this email to James Smyth:

Hi James
I still have not heard from the courier company and do not have a tracking number. Can you please confirm if this has been shipped to me as per your email of last Tuesday?
Regards
On my end, still have received no individual e-mail from Smyth to confirm shipping details, etc. Was hoping it might come through yesterday based on past activity.

Aug 28, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #6,048 of 15,986
And a 6th video showing how to import files from the A8 to the A16 for those interested.
Very very cool.... I can now see why note taking is going to be paramount.... you can create thousands of rooms with just the A8 PRIR files all ready out there for playing with... its a shame though you can't take an existing A8 PRIR file into the A16 and create new PRIR files and bring them back to the A8.... that would be a really great feat...

Aug 28, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #6,049 of 15,986
Very very cool.... I can now see why note taking is going to be paramount.... you can create thousands of rooms with just the A8 PRIR files all ready out there for playing with... its a shame though you can't take an existing A8 PRIR file into the A16 and create new PRIR files and bring them back to the A8.... that would be a really great feat...

Also explains why I couldn’t get it to work last night. I didn’t know about the multi level folder structure needed to do this because it wasn’t in the manual anywhere.

Aug 28, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #6,050 of 15,986
Those videos look very helpful and timely, for those who already have their A-16s in hand or are about to, I wish someone would tell the Smyths to change the loud, and unimaginative "elevator music" serving as a sound track on them, though, as it sounds excruciatingly monotonous, not to mention boring and even annoying sometimes.

The A-16 is after all supposed to be a sophisticated, state-of-the-art audiophile piece of equipment...

It has the potential of becoming really "world-class" once it is brought up to function according to its full promised specs....

One would normally expect the rollout music of such a machine to be chosen with a touch of class. Is that too much to ask?

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #6,051 of 15,986
Those videos look very helpful and timely, for those who already have their A-16s in hand or are about to, I wish someone would tell the Smyths to change the loud, and unimaginative "elevator music" serving as a sound track on them, though, as it sounds excruciatingly monotonous, not to mention boring and even annoying sometimes.
Ya, it started driving me mad by the second video. They may not want to licence another song but a subscription to Artlist is pretty cheap. I guess mute is our friend since there is no voice over.

Aug 28, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #6,052 of 15,986
FYI, the guy in the UK posted on another forum that he was told when he placed his order that Smyth had 20 units up for sale at full price. He received his unit the very next day after sending his money(with Smyth and the buyer both being in the UK).I don’t know how many they’ve sold but you could easily postulate that they could have shipped 10 (or even potentially more) units total in that first week, especially when you take in account the units that were shipped to Gilles in France. I could also certainly see where putting out that kind of info to Kickstarter backers and folks with pre-orders would not be expected to receive a warm reception.

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #6,053 of 15,986
FYI, the guy in the UK posted on another forum that he was told when he placed his order that Smyth had 20 units up for sale at full price. He received his unit the very next day after sending his money(with Smyth and the buyer both being in the UK).I don’t know how many they’ve sold but you could easily postulate that they could have shipped 10 (or even potentially more) units total in that first week, especially when you take in account the units that were shipped to Gilles in France. I could also certainly see where putting out that kind of info to Kickstarter backers and folks with pre-orders would not be expected to receive a warm reception.

As someone who wants Smyth Research to survive as a company I'm fine with them collecting some much needed cash, even though it means I have to wait even longer for my unit.
As a Kickstarter backer I'm furious at the pathetic lack of communication.

It's inexplicable that they have chosen a communication policy that alienates the very backers who have supported and promoted them, especially since they have admitted that their communication has been poor.

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #6,054 of 15,986
I have a feeling that I won't get mine for a couple more years at this rate.... I guess they will sell as many as they can at full price... as the old saying goes... " sucking hind tit "

and unless I am wrong... I still have not seen/heard of any headstand versions going out.... did most folks order the rack mount and so the folks that ordered the headstand are way back in the que...

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #6,055 of 15,986
I have a feeling that I won't get mine for a couple more years at this rate.... I guess they will sell as many as they can at full price... as the old saying goes... " sucking hind tit "
If it's true they have 20 then at least after selling all 20 then they are done with that, have some extra cash ($80k), and can get on full speed with our units from that moment on.
(However, instead of ordering a new/additional one, paying the difference with your pre-sales order or kickstarter order won't decrease the number of available units for direct sale, but it will also not change the total number from the first production batch that they ship, so it should not increase the total time to ship all those.)

Aug 28, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #6,057 of 15,986
Has any backer between #12 and #20 received an email from Smyth Research to confirm shipping details ?

Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like it. Neither have I (headstand) nor any others on the various forums received an email. A bit disappointing, considering we were among the first to support them. Anyway, I understand financial concerns, but, it would be good to have some kind of a delivery schedule (as in the promised weekly updates about shipping).

In any case, they appear to be working hard and the released videos are great starting points (also from a marketing perspective of familiarizing potential buyers with the concept!). Also, the software update is a good indication that there is a lot going on behind the curtain. I’m getting good vibes overall. As for the feature list: Honestly, to me, it delivers pretty much everything of the must-have features; there is relatively little lacking from my point of view (and equipment, as I can use both digital and analog). Perhaps low-latency mode, but that’s not a priority either. The only thing really missing is the Realiser itself ... and I’m very much looking forward to it. Let’s just hope that patience will be rewarded.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #6,059 of 15,986
I’m thrilled to pieces with the Smyth YouTube videos. Although I’ve yet to receive my A16, it appears that the videos have tremendous value that extends well beyond any manual. I’m hopeful that they’ll eventually release a series on “How To Make A Basic HPEQ And A Basic PRIR.” More advanced videos on topics like manipulating PRIRs and BRIRs, and making surround PRIRs starting with a single speaker would be icing on the cake. In my view, anything they could do to make the A16 more user friendly would pay big dividends for their bottom line. Just imagine if Gamers and Virtual Reality buffs got into the A16 in a big way.

Aug 28, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #6,060 of 15,986
Incidentally, the promise "to ship around 10 to 20 units per week," was made on August 12th. If backer #9's unit is going to ship on August 30th (i.e. 18 days afterwards), however, then it's clearly obvious that not even 10 backers have received their units in the first two weeks, and this is really not starting well.

As a guy who pre-ordered, I would like to maintain a positive attitude, and even commend smyth research for recent "signs of life" they're beginning to show, such as releasing a user manual, publishing those "basics" youtube videos, and even commencing shipping, even if that has turned out to be a rather oddball and weird trickle down process.

57f70e03b98a5e207580575b_Drip1.gif

Yet I also like to keep things "real," and in that spirit, I have to say that I can't stop wondering about just how many months or even years it might take for my own A-16 pre-order to trickle down to me, at the present pace... I also have to be mindful of the dismal record of practically every trickle down scheme I have ever known about, and hope that the Smyths shipping strategy does not wind up following the same record, in this case, that of trickle down devolving sooner or later into simple "dirty tricks," and hanging the majority of its believers out to dry!

source.gif

So Smyth Research, although things have not begun as well as one might have hoped, I would like to believe and give you the benefit of the doubt, but you have got to stop making things so frigging difficult!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back