Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 12, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #5,222 of 16,107
I don't know why people are thinking in terms of their K$ backer number; if I were Smyth I'd ship within Ireland first so that it's easy to handle returns if there's a problem with the units.

At least we should get real customer responses soon, which will take away much of the fear that this thing was never coming at all.

Regarding the order in which the units might ship, I suppose it depends on how one interprets the word "numbers" in the following statement from that latest update:

"We’ll be posting weekly updates on the numbers that have been shipped."

You're right that the word may not necessarily refer to the numerical order of KS backing numbers. However, I can see them only giving rise to more anger and frustration in their KS backers if they refuse to respect the order and positioning offered by backer numbers in the manner in which shipping is organized and delivered... If I were say, backer #2, I would feel very slighted, dismayed and p*ssed off if my unit were to ship in the 300th position in the queue, simply because of my geographical location...

Now speaking of Geographical location does any body have any idea about what type of additional expenses (in shipping, custom fees/tarifs) Brexit might potentially add to this shipping process, and how much of it the Smyths might want to pass on to the buyer (legitimately or not)?

I am finally not sure how to interpret the words "if" and "may" in the following sentences from the update :

"DTS-X and Auro3D are yet to be certified. If and when these are certified, they will be available in future firmware updates. Other operating modes and features may also be introduced in the future as firmware updates."

Now, is it just my imagination, or is this language slyly suggesting the possibility that "DTS-X and Auro3D certification" might never happen, and that the "Other operating modes and features" mentioned in the last sentence might not be forthcoming, given certain conditions?

Aug 12, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #5,223 of 16,107
Regarding the order in which the units might ship, I suppose it depends on how one interprets the word "numbers" in the following statement from that latest update:

"We’ll be posting weekly updates on the numbers that have been shipped."

You're right that the word may not necessarily refer to the numerical order of KS backing numbers. However, I can see them only giving rise to more anger and frustration in their KS backers if they refuse to respect the order and positioning offered by backer numbers in the manner in which shipping is organized and delivered... If I were say, backer #2, I would feel very slighted, dismayed and p*ssed off if my unit were to ship in the 300th position in the queue, simply because of my geographical location...

Now speaking of Geographical location does any body have any idea about what type of additional expenses (in shipping, custom fees/tarifs) Brexit might potentially add to this shipping process, and how much of it the Smyths might want to pass on to the buyer (legitimately or not)?

I am finally not sure how to interpret the words "if" and "may" in the following sentences from the update :

"DTS-X and Auro3D are yet to be certified. If and when these are certified, they will be available in future firmware updates. Other operating modes and features may also be introduced in the future as firmware updates."

Now, is it just my imagination, or is this language slyly suggesting the possibility that "DTS-X and Auro3D certification" might never happen, and that the "Other operating modes and features" mentioned in the last sentence might not be forthcoming, given certain conditions?

My interpretation of the “numbers shipped” language is that it will be simply “we shipped 17 units from 8/12/19-8/17/19”. Strictly how many units they shipped, not which backer numbers were shipped. But then again interpreting their language is a tough thing.

I too was struck by the language regarding DTS. To me it sounds like they’ve laid the foundation to never seek DTS certification.

Aug 12, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #5,224 of 16,107
Why is it that when finally there is some good news that people are now arguing about which order or when their unit will be delivered.

I worked in retail and customers never argued about who had ordered before who, as no one ever knew how many orders there were before or how many is after their order.

Just be pleased that however long it takes to deliver, that the A16's are built and will be finally delivered.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #5,226 of 16,107
My interpretation of the “numbers shipped” language is that it will be simply “we shipped 17 units from 8/12/19-8/17/19”. Strictly how many units they shipped, not which backer numbers were shipped. But then again interpreting their language is a tough thing.

I too was struck by the language regarding DTS. To me it sounds like they’ve laid the foundation to never seek DTS certification.

You're right that they might never seek DTS certification. One can't rule that out entirely. However, in that case, I would really have to question how serious they are about selling any number of A-16s at the $4000 price-point they have floated for the future... How many units can they sell at that price without DTS-X, Auro 3D, and other bells and whistles, including competent customer/technical support, and a fully functional Realiser Exchange website?

Stephen and Mike Smyth may be old and retired, but I hope they've not lost all their greed and hunger for wealth... James Smyth actually looks much younger.... I am just hoping they all have enough hunger for more sales to push the development of the A-16 to its full potential, in spite of the snail's pace they have exhibited so far.:)

Aug 12, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #5,227 of 16,107
All that wait and it comes with half the features and NO HDR (not even talking about DV) pass through? So glad I got my full refund. I guess some will be happy it's coming at all after smyth promised a q4 2017 release.

Aug 12, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #5,228 of 16,107
According to the message Gilles Gérin sent to his customers, among the 10-20 units sent each week, 2-3 will be sent to Gilles' customers. It means that the A16 will not be sent only to backers first.

Why is it that when finally there is some good news that people are now arguing about which order or when their unit will be delivered.
The question of the order would not be raised if being #500 didn't seem to mean that one would have to wait one more year or more to receive their unit, just when people started to think that with the Atmos certification granted, the end was very near.
When the next information emails arrive, we will see the pace they manage to reach to send units, but that sucks that even when we finally receive the email we had been waiting for so long annoucning the beginning of the shipping, they still manage to add a new big layer of frustration when people realise that they still may not get their A16 before many months, and possibly not even before next year.

And about the "if and when they are certified" regarding DTS-X and Auro 3D, i tend to think the "when" concerns DTS-X (i don't think they'd skip that functionnality, especially since it's supposed to be already working) and the "if" concerns Auro-3D (because it's not spread at all and i think it's not implemented yet, so they may skip that part to focus on other features)

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #5,229 of 16,107
All that wait and it comes with half the features and NO HDR (not even talking about DV) pass through? So glad I got my full refund. I guess some will be happy it's coming at all after smyth promised a q4 2017 release.

HDR and DV for Audio? Am I missing something here? Or is it just a question of being able to transmit such video signals on a "pass-through" basis?

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #5,230 of 16,107

My understanding is that that it supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision, but not HDR10+. From the update sent today it only specifically says it doesn’t support HDR10+.

Aug 12, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #5,231 of 16,107
It's "no HDR10+", not "no HDR". They didn't mention Dolby Vision, so that would have to be clarified. Since it concerns video part only, the problem can likely be solved with a HDMI Splitter

Aug 12, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #5,232 of 16,107
It's "no HDR10+", not "no HDR". They didn't mention Dolby Vision, so that would have to be clarified. Since it concerns video part only, the problem can likely be solved with a HDMI Splitter
My bad, no HDR10+. You are correct. Still, paying all that money and having to mess about with splitters? No thanks

Aug 12, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #5,234 of 16,107

Yep! My Oppo UDP 203 already offers the option of splitting the audio from the video feeds, so the HDR (10+)/DV would not necessarily pose an immediate concern for me personally, but it would be ideal for them to add such enhancements for the sake of other customers who might need them, and for future proofing and versatility of the A-16 in general.

It seems to me that the A-16 still has the potential of becoming a real technological hit, if the Smyths have the will, the energy, and the wherewithal to make it fulfill the vision they initially had for it. However, we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves in making such assessments. I am particularly eager to read the first impressions of the lucky ones who receive their units in the early weeks of shipping.

Aug 12, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #5,235 of 16,107
The A8 sounds amazing.... the A16 will be better in every way... can't wait to get it ...

I did a few more HPEQ recordings yesterday on the A8... One thing that will surprise you is just how it makes " not worthy " headphones sound... every headphone I have recorded the HPEQ so far has made that headphone sound so much better... It has been suggested that the H800 be one of the headphones that pares well with the realisers... and that statement is true but other headphones also scale quite well too.... I think the reason is the bass management is so perfect... I have an older pair of Sony MDR-SA5000 that scaled really nice... I can say that of the HPEQ recordings I have made so far the open type headphones sound the best... but even the lower cost ATH-M50 scales well too as a closed back...
here's to wishing everyone the best of luck... it won't be long now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back