Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 8, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #4,186 of 15,987
With your TV having >20ms latency, you'll not really notice the sound being 10ms late - that's not even 2/3 of a frame at 60Hz. The latencies occur in parallel, not sequentially. i.e. the HDMI stream is not buffered for 30ms in the A16, it is passed immediately, while the audio processing takes place in parallel.

It's not clear from Gilles' mail that the 4-5ms delay is for ATMOS as well - I would doubt that. Maybe ask him, his english should be good enough.
Interesting, I figured it would be like any other normal chain where you add up the latency. Is this in the documentation somewhere?

Regardless, hopefully the game mode (and other firmware features) don't take too long after it's out in the wild...

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #4,187 of 15,987
Interesting, I figured it would be like any other normal chain where you add up the latency. Is this in the documentation somewhere?
There is some related info on the kickstarter comments page (https://www.kickstarter.com/project...16-real-3d-audio-headphone-processor/comments).
Stephen Smyth Collaborator on August 6 [2017]
@Christian Hampp - Lip-sync: The A16 will have both an audio delay function (as with the A8) as well as the ability to program the HDMI EDID table to request an upstream device to delay the video. The combination will mean you can dial in a +/- audio delay. We can create a delay value for each HDMI input if required.
From this one can safely conclude that the A16 won't buffer video data but passes it on directly to the HDMI output while the audio still has to go through the DSP "pipeline".
(Not buffering is easier than buffering: the buffering requires memory and processing. That's why they leave delaying the video to the upstream device - provided the upstream device has the capability.)

Dec 10, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #4,190 of 15,987
I hope they are all safe in France
On saturday, i got locked up in the shop where i was buying a Christmas present for my son. For around an hour noone could get in or out. They feared hooligans who infiltrated the protestation march (that was otherwise quite peaceful when i went through it) might break in and steal.
When i finally got out, i took my bike to go home but i quickly had to turn back and take a different path because i got into a cloud of fumes and tear gas... not cool ! i met groups of cops in armor ready for "battle", but eventually in my city it was not that bad (still a couple of broken shop windows though). My nephew in Bordeaux sent me a video, people broke in the Apple Store and within a few seconds stole all the devices in demonstration... really appalling...
I could really use an A16 to cheer up a bit... (hint to Smyth Research intended :wink::yum::angel:)

Dec 11, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #4,192 of 15,987
Wow, what a deal. For an unknown.

Sounds super legit for some reason, unless the original owner passed away.

As someone that owns and uses an A8 (for listening and measurements at my studio - AIX Studios), I inquired about the unit offered on eBay. The only thing the purchaser would get is the main box. No remote, no head tracker, no headphone clip, no measurement microphone, and no power supply. The unit is not useable without these items...so it really is just a box for parts.

Dec 12, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #4,193 of 15,987
As someone that owns and uses an A8 (for listening and measurements at my studio - AIX Studios), I inquired about the unit offered on eBay. The only thing the purchaser would get is the main box. No remote, no head tracker, no headphone clip, no measurement microphone, and no power supply. The unit is not useable without these items...so it really is just a box for parts.
Smyth doesn't offer replacement parts for those items? Won't service A8 Realizers in the field anymore?

Dec 12, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #4,194 of 15,987
... unless the original owner passed away.
Passed away or maybe discovered some concealed property or properties which qualified the device as unwanted ...?
I can imagine, for example, that in case I received my Yarra 3DX and discovered it's multichannel capabilities were limited to lossy Dolby Digital (and some other gamers' format), that I would probably (in case of having claimed for a refund for the Realiser A16) discard my poor lossy Yarra and give it to someone who admires lossy Dolby Digital, packed in the 3D bucket, and recommends it to the audiophiles.

Dec 12, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #4,195 of 15,987
Hi,
our french dealer Gilles Guerin is offering to answer our questions about the A16.
He has asked us to send him any questions we have before next friday.

If you have any question in mind, i can collect them and send them to him and i'll give you his answers.

I need to send them before friday night (french time).
Cyril

Dec 12, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #4,198 of 15,987
6. Will both user parts A and B always use the same input source? Or could 2 different inputs be selected simultaniously? (Of course not 2 different encoded surround sound streams, but for example user A the 16 channel analog input and user B the 16 channel PCM via USB input. I expect the answer will be no, but it would be great if the answer is yes. That would enable 32 channel applications, adding/mixing the headphone signals of A and B together.)
7. I would like to know exacly how the 'HT Slave' connection on the back of the A16 can be used. Would it also be possible to loop back the HT Slave into the user B HT input to make the user A and B part both react to the headtracker connected to A? Or is there another way to make the user A and B part both react to one single headtracker? (This question is not only relevant in relation to my previous question, but for other - unusual but doable - applications also.)

Dec 12, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #4,199 of 15,987
Hi,
our french dealer Gilles Guerin is offering to answer our questions about the A16.
He has asked us to send him any questions we have before next friday.

If you have any question in mind, i can collect them and send them to him and i'll give you his answers.

I need to send them before friday night (french time).
Cyril
Personally, only two questions matter to me at the moment, two questions for which I never seem to see any straightforward answers in the A-16 updates I have seen:

1. At exactly what stage of production is the A-16 today?
2. Based on 1, how long will it realistically take for it to get to the shipping stage?

And I want realistic and honest-to-God answers, if Gilles has them. The Smyths have perfected the skill of filling their updates with mostly vague, and always less-than-complete details of the production process that leave answers to the two questions above always shrouded in mystery, and subject to endless, wild, and ultimately fruitless speculations here and on other A-16 related forums I have seen on the internet. Sometimes, I seriously wonder whether the Smyths themselves have answers to those questions, especially, question # 2.

Dec 12, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #4,200 of 15,987
@camillem:
1. Is the true internal processing level of the Realiser A16 'lossless' or 'lossy'? I mean, given the enormous processing requirements of the real time de-rotation of 16 channels?
2. When Realiser A16 'captures' high-end speakers, does it 'capture' them in their high-end totality, or it 'captures' them on the level when they play some simpler content like, for example, Dolby Digital? Quite concretely - what is the kHz and bit quality of the measurement 'sweeps'?
3. Can we say that the primary purpose of the Realiser A16 is - professional audio processor for mixing TV-movies in the audio engineer's living room?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back