Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 12, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #4,201 of 16,011
6. Will both user parts A and B always use the same input source? Or could 2 different inputs be selected simultaniously? (Of course not 2 different encoded surround sound streams, but for example user A the 16 channel analog input and user B the 16 channel PCM via USB input. I expect the answer will be no, but it would be great if the answer is yes. That would enable 32 channel applications, adding/mixing the headphone signals of A and B together.)
Do you know of a source device that can produce 32 channels on two paths (such as 16 analog and 16 USB)?

Dec 12, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #4,202 of 16,011
Hi,
our french dealer Gilles Guerin is offering to answer our questions about the A16.
He has asked us to send him any questions we have before next friday.

If you have any question in mind, i can collect them and send them to him and i'll give you his answers.

I need to send them before friday night (french time).
Cyril

Thanks for this. I'd like to confirm what was discussed earlier re: latency (what I refer to as input lag.) Is the stated 30ms input lag in "non game mode" additional to whatever input lag is also present in the display, or is the lag of the display and the lag of the A16 occurring at the same time? For example, assume we have an HDMI source into the A16 and it is running in non game mode with 30ms lag, hooked up via HDMI out to a display with 20ms input lag. Would the total input lag be: (1) A16 lag + display lag (50ms), or (2) the A16's 30ms? I.e. the video is passed through more or less immediately, so the A16 just lags behind slightly. (Assuming no use of any video or audio delay feature). Hopefully that question makes sense.... thanks!

Dec 12, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #4,203 of 16,011
Do you know of a source device that can produce 32 channels on two paths (such as 16 analog and 16 USB)?
I guess a computer could do that, using a 16 channel sound card to produce the analog signals. I didn't really have a more specific idea in mind. It just seemed like a nice idea because in principle the A16 has the capability to do it except maybe that there may be a bottleneck on the input side. Also don't ask me where to find program material for it, I wouldn't know...

Dec 12, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #4,204 of 16,011
Smyth doesn't offer replacement parts for those items? Won't service A8 Realizers in the field anymore?
I'd say they do, but the prices make this $500 A8 somewhat uneconomical: https://av-in.com/collections/accessoires-dorigine

If you already have an A8 or an A16 on order, and are looking for another device for a second room, and you can do without the head tracking, it still sounds like an acceptable deal.

I assumed that the remote codes are available in Philips Pronto format somewhere, but I can't find them, so unless the buyer can talk someone else to upload those codes somewhere, the remote would be a required accessory.

Dec 12, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #4,205 of 16,011
6. Will both user parts A and B always use the same input source? Or could 2 different inputs be selected simultaniously? (Of course not 2 different encoded surround sound streams, but for example user A the 16 channel analog input and user B the 16 channel PCM via USB input. I expect the answer will be no, but it would be great if the answer is yes. That would enable 32 channel applications, adding/mixing the headphone signals of A and B together.)
It would also enable two people to watch different movies on the same screen, if they manage to merge two 2D movies into a 3D stream and wore "left only" and "right only" 3D glasses.

Dec 12, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #4,206 of 16,011
I'm not sure they are still creating new parts for the A8. I"m just pointing out that the unit is useless with them.
McIntosh they're not.

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #4,207 of 16,011
If you have any question in mind, i can collect them and send them to him and i'll give you his answers.

Ask them for an updated version of this, showing what's on release, coming in firmware later, deleted and added.

Would answer latency questions some had as well as what we can expect on release.

45825f98862a68a856fff0ddb4e590f2_original.jpg

Dec 13, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #4,208 of 16,011
for those wishing to ask questions about the development of the A16 then Gilles Gerin in France has asked that you send him your questions via his personal email account...

Gilles Gerin <info@av-in.fr>

Dec 14, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #4,210 of 16,011
Done.

„Hi,
Many thanks for taking the time to answer questions regarding the Smyth Realizer A16.
Let me start by saying that I in September 2016 backed the project on Kickstarter. I even went from Germany to Paris to get my A16 profile done a the music and son from the Smyth‘s themselves.
Since then quite some time has passed. And I have to admit that I am very unhappy about the way Smyth has communicated with us backers. Maybe I am also particular nervous as I always a development backer of the Ossic X (1000 EUR).
So here are my questions:
1. Why did Smyth repeatedly got the timeframe for the development so wrong?
2. What was presented to me at the trade fair in Paris? If this was not the working prototype, what did I listen to? If it was a prototype what took so long and is taking so long.
3. How is it possible that the A16 will not come out with the promised set of functions like USB DAC and Illusonic upmixer?
I highly appreciate that you are trying to keep us informed I am reading everything you write on headfi.
Best, Reiner“

Dec 14, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #4,211 of 16,011
Dec 14, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #4,212 of 16,011
Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #4,213 of 16,011
Done.
So here are my questions:
1. Why did Smyth repeatedly got the timeframe for the development so wrong?
2. What was presented to me at the trade fair in Paris? If this was not the working prototype, what did I listen to? If it was a prototype what took so long and is taking so long.
3. How is it possible that the A16 will not come out with the promised set of functions like USB DAC and Illusonic upmixer?
I highly appreciate that you are trying to keep us informed I am reading everything you write on headfi.
Best, Reiner“

In the interest of everyone, as in to avoid getting smyth company loose focus, I have the honor to decide by myself to reply on their behalf:
1. Because this was a challenging project.
2. You have listened to an A16 prototype. Certification and assembly process on the production units is ongoing, thank you for your patience.
3. Because of unforeseen complications, technical and / or legal blocks. Please be assured that we are doing out best to maintain all key functionalities in the shipping product while some functionality may become available after future firmware update.

Best regards,
A smyth impersonator.

Dec 15, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #4,214 of 16,011

Users who are viewing this thread

Back