Smyth Research Realiser A16
Nov 1, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #3,961 of 16,073
(I think I've asked similar questions before, but you know...the passage of years...)
The only thing I'm curious of is how the A16 handles Atmos if you've only recorded a 7.1 setup. Does it add its own virtual speakers to fill the gaps? And similarly, instead of having to record all of the speakers again for Atmos, will I be able to copy my original 7.1 capture and then just start recording the extra surrounds? I'm assuming the answer is "yes" to both, but who knows now.
If Smyth didn't/doesn't change the plans you can combine virtual speakers from different PRIRs and BRIRs into one preset.
So you can make seperate PRIRs for
-your basic 5.1 setup
-the extra speakers for 9.1 (just turn yor chair 180 degrees: fronts at 30 degrees will be surround backs at 150 degrees, surrounds at 120 degrees will be wides at 60 degrees)
-maybe also alternative surround speakers at 90 degrees (optimal for 7.1 and 9.1, while surrounds at 120 degrees are better for 5.1)
-height speakers for Atmos
-height speakers for Auro 3D
Then you can make several presets for the different formats, and in each preset you combine the appropriate speakers that you pick from different PRIRs (And if you didn't measure for example height speakers yet you can pick those from one of the non-personalised BRIRs that come standard with the A16.)
And all those presets can somehow be organised in virtual sound rooms etc.

http://smyth-research.com/downloads/additional_KS_info.pdf
http://www.smyth-research.com/downloads/A16 UI overview.pdf

Nov 2, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #3,966 of 16,073
I would like to believe that their presence in Singapore means that the Smyth brothers have solved the lion’s share of their pre-launch certification and other software bug fixes. This theoretically would give them the luxury of taking the time to demo and otherwise create advance market buzz for the A16.

It was also nice to hear Jude say that he personally had an A16 on order.

Nov 2, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #3,967 of 16,073
I think it's likely that Smyth brothers will not be attending in person CanJam in Shanghai, but rather HeavenlySound representatives will be demonstrating the A16 there. If someone from this forum could be there and ask for more information, that would be great.
I don't doubt that the A16 will be released. It's "just" a matter of when. HeavenlySound invested money in this partnership with Smyth Research so now they probably want the A16 to be released as quickly as possible to 1) get some money back from sales at the new full price (mostly to professionals) and 2) get Smyth Research to start working on a new project based on SVS (maybe on licensing the algorithm to implement it in AVRs or developping a low-cost basic version of the A16 to aim at a broader market)

Nov 2, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #3,968 of 16,073
Its not Singapore but China... and of course the Asia market place... will be interesting how the asia market reacts to the demo... I can see how the A16 would fit in nicely with all the people living in those high rises...

Nov 2, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #3,969 of 16,073
I would like to believe that their presence in Singapore means that the Smyth brothers have solved the lion’s share of their pre-launch certification and other software bug fixes. This theoretically would give them the luxury of taking the time to demo and otherwise create advance market buzz for the A16.

It was also nice to hear Jude say that he personally had an A16 on order.
Or it could just mean they need to scare up more capital, so they can keep this going.

Nov 2, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #3,970 of 16,073
I think it's likely that Smyth brothers will not be attending in person CanJam in Shanghai, but rather HeavenlySound representatives will be demonstrating the A16 there. If someone from this forum could be there and ask for more information, that would be great.
I don't doubt that the A16 will be released. It's "just" a matter of when. HeavenlySound invested money in this partnership with Smyth Research so now they probably want the A16 to be released as quickly as possible to 1) get some money back from sales at the new full price (mostly to professionals) and 2) get Smyth Research to start working on a new project based on SVS (maybe on licensing the algorithm to implement it in AVRs or developping a low-cost basic version of the A16 to aim at a broader market)

One hundred percent speculation..

Nov 2, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #3,971 of 16,073
One hundred percent speculation..

It's not 100% speculation. The Smyth told the french dealer when he came to visit them a couple of months ago that the investors want the A16 to be finished quickly so that they can move on to what's coming next.
And about "Or it could just mean they need to scare up more capital, so they can keep this going", it's also possible, but it's not possible to order the A16 for the moment online (at least not on Smyth Research website) so unless it's possible to preorder onsite at CanJam, they will not get any money out of it before it's released.

Nov 3, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #3,973 of 16,073
The site https://heavenly-surround.com/ is back up again. It has been up about a week.
Two languages - English and Chinese.
It is still unfinished.

The homepage has a BUY button for the A16 Realiser and a VIDEO button

Pressing the BUY button shows 2 models, "Headstand" and "2U" and 2 BUY buttons.

Pressing either of these buttons shows the price £3995 (about $5186 USD) and "out of stock"

A purchase cannot be completed at this time.

The VIDEO button shows a good explanatory video that I have not seen elsewhere.

It begins with the narration
"Smyth SVS The virtualization sound technology from Heavenly Sound."

and ends with the narration
"Real three dimensional sound over headphones that works for everyone on all content can be enjoyed with any Heavenly Sound SVS product.
We are Heavenly Sound.
We are the Next Generation Sound Technology Company"

https://heavenly-surround.com/

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #3,974 of 16,073
The site https://heavenly-surround.com/ is back up again. It has been up about a week.
It is still unfinished.

Pressing either of these buttons shows the price £3995 (about $5186 USD) and "out of stock"

A purchase cannot be completed.

The VIDEO button shows a good explanatory video that I have not seen elsewhere

"Real three dimensional sound over headphones that works for everyone on all content can be enjoyed with any Heavenly Sound SVS product.
We are Heavenly Sound.

Thank you for sharing! Getting closer to shipping day!

Nov 3, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #3,975 of 16,073
It is still unfinished.

A purchase cannot be completed.

The VIDEO button shows a good explanatory video that I have not seen elsewhere

We are Heavenly Sound.

beside the A8 and A16 there is a "A16 DAW" product, but no further information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back