Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 24, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #1,878 of 16,011
To make life easier:vertical_traffic_light: while we wait for A16 to be released:
WEBPAGE_20180124_092020.jpg
WEBPAGE_20180124_092042.jpg

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #1,880 of 16,011
When I see this I feel even more that an update would be great.

Same here. It’s been about 5.5 weeks since the last update. Hopefully it’s because they’re getting close to being ready to ship and not because they hit a giant snag.

Jan 24, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #1,886 of 16,011
Based on their last update, I think March is very unlikely. I'd be happy to be wrong, but I'm expecting late May. The one thing I found surprising in the last update is that they revealed that the software is not complete. Given that the delay has been blamed on the hardware, I found this disappointing. Unless they ship with unfinished software (which is not the end of the world), I doubt it all gets done that fast. We shall see.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #1,887 of 16,011
If we are about complaining what about this:
They have reached over the $$ requested on Kickstarter and it has been a long time already. At least two things could been done long time ago.
Make few units and send them out for review purposes, even without a finished firmware, so the people can have the taste of the actual product. In the summer 2017 the software of A16 was very capable to me, and unless they wanted to add new features via firmware i can't explain.
I know it may sound easy,but once you got the funds to build something and you really focus,then you are on the right path.
We need some review samples,or at least a lengthy YouTube video of the actual stage of the Realiser A16 .

Jan 24, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #1,888 of 16,011
That would have been nice, but my impression is that they are a 3-4 person company. Rather amazing what they have gotten done with very little staff. Probably running a review/beta program was too much. Plus, incorporating the feedback would likely have lead to more delays. Lastly, it might not make sense to risk negative reviews that could be due to software glitches. Reviewers are not always very technical and might have issues using the product in an unfinished state.

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #1,889 of 16,011
In the summer 2017 the software of A16 was very capable to me, and unless they wanted to add new features via firmware i can't explain.
Maybe at that moment there was more or other (more expensive) hardware working or external equipment doing a part of the trick.
(To explain what I mean I give an extreme example, surely this was not the case, but also surely the prototype was not a production-ready design: they could have had an external atmos decoder and 2 A8's lying under the table and had the so called A16 just doing some UI stuff and passing along signals. And there would have been nothing really wrong with that: they demo'd what the final product should be able to do and proved that is possible, and showed approximately what it is going to look like. They didn't say it was production ready. And they warned there could be significant delays.)

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #1,890 of 16,011
Based on their last update, I think March is very unlikely. I'd be happy to be wrong, but I'm expecting late May.

In their latest updates, the main setback was with plastic enclosures and clips, for which they had to redesign new molds. They were expecting samples made with the new molds by mid-january. Getting them, validating them (hopefully), launching the production and receiving the final details in the UK from China would bring us not before the end of february i guess. That's why i'm considering that the first batch may be sent in march.
Right now, they should have received all the rest of the details and be assembling and testing units, while certifications being processed. Software may not be completely over but it still leaves at least a month to complete it, and even if not, they can still send units and implement some functions later via software updates. Many here could experiment the prototype unit and it was working very fine, there was no hidden A8 under the table :slight_smile:
I said i was optimistic because i often read here people thinking that it will rather be may or june...
Still in a month it will have been one year and a half since i placed my order via Kickstarter... That's quite a long wait already... let's hope it will soon be over !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back