Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 10, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #346 of 15,987
Hi, I visited them today in Paris and it was great.

Richter Di's photo of the stainless steel frontplate to the A16 looks more attractive than Smyth's own promo photos. It'll be interesting to see if they stick with that for the final manufactured design because it could be quite distinctive.

Yeah, it kinda reminds me of the Rocketeer's helmet!

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #347 of 15,987
Hi,

My own quick impressions on the Smyth Realiser A16 after the Salon de l'Image et du Son in Paris (in French) :

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179020804.html#p179020804

and the reproduction environment of this experience :

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179020885.html#p179020885

Hugo

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #348 of 15,987
I understand there will be generic HRTF on the system 'out of the box'. Does anyone know if it would be 2 channel or 13 channel systems and how many of them?

Also, are there vertical (and horizontal) angle requirements for the Atmos, X and Auro rendering?

Oct 11, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #349 of 15,987
I understand there will be generic HRTF on the system 'out of the box'. Does anyone know if it would be 2 channel or 13 channel systems and how many of them?

Also, are there vertical (and horizontal) angle requirements for the Atmos, X and Auro rendering?

I can't help with your first question but here are some Dolby links mainly about Atmos that include some angles:

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #351 of 15,987
What do you think of the AKG K701 with the A16 to watch mostly movies ?

We'll know better when the A16 actually arrives, but I was certainly thinking of my K701s as a potential good pairing thanks to their transparency. My main pair is the Oppo PM-3s but I'm thinking that the closed-back design may not work as well as the AKG. Of course, once one has the A16 the opportunity, nay necessity, arrives to invest in some more headphones! :D

Oct 12, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #352 of 15,987
But while the accuracy of replicating the loudspeaker was 100%, the loudspeakers did something the Realizer did not in the same way. As every good loudspeaker setup does, it creates a certain stage behind the loudspeakers. It is almost like a fake room they create. I am not sure why they do this but it seems almost independent of the audio input. Now the Realizer A16 also puts the audio events somewhere behind the virtual loudspeakers, but no room is created. This is something I have to investigate further when I will finally get my A16.

Just found this quote in a very old article about the prototype of the A8 http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1429922&d=1462758896
WSR Reber: The other thing I noticed about your system is that in our particular reference system, the loudspeakers actually disappear, and the sounds simply float in space. You are not conscious of a box sound; sound is just suspended in air in this room. This virtual surround system that you have designed does the same thing. Everything just floats three-dimensionally. You are not aware of any “boxed” sound. Phantom imaging is precise and sounds can be visu- alized in their specific locations as naturally perceived with a good loudspeaker system

This exactly what I meant.

Oct 12, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #353 of 15,987
We'll know better when the A16 actually arrives, but I was certainly thinking of my K701s as a potential good pairing thanks to their transparency. My main pair is the Oppo PM-3s but I'm thinking that the closed-back design may not work as well as the AKG. Of course, once one has the A16 the opportunity, nay necessity, arrives to invest in some more headphones!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for your opinion. There's an offer on Q701s for only 119€, so i'll probably give it a try and see how it sounds...

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #354 of 15,987
Thanks for your opinion. There's an offer on Q701s for only 119€, so i'll probably give it a try and see how it sounds...

I haven't heard the Qs but that's a good price and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #357 of 15,987
  Are there any phones that are recommended for the A16?

After owning the A8 for 4 years and nearly every Flagship headphone out there I feel quite sure to rate them, starting from best  (surly forgotten some I had). All the listed 

Stax 4070/BHSE > Stax 009 and 007 MK1/BHSE > Hifiman HE-6 /Accuphase pro 3 > Stax SR-407 /313>HD800/Bryston BHA1> AKG K812/Violectric V200> LCD2  > Hifiman HE500 > Fostex TH800 and Denon D700

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #358 of 15,987
This forum has cost me well into 6 Canadian digits since i started here a few years ago LOL 

I just started a thread seeking advice on a new amp purchase , likely Blue circle ELD-BD

i was headed to bed and before i closed out i see surround on headphones ***

I ve wanted surround for a long time , being single i have a zero WAF to consider ,but being single

my dwelling is a very limited space . So no surround speakers for me :frowning2:

i also discovers auro 3d tonight as well 

So to cut by blithering i need to ask this 

I have spent thousands in last while on a RSA darkstar for my HD-800s , Simaudio 220i (likely being replaced ,maybe 

by ELD_BD ) , Simaudio 280d Dac and Dynaudio focus 340s 

And too many pesos on cables 

I really cant imagine this will replace my RSA , or my present and new to come amp 

Im hoping that , and asking , is this simply the decoder , and i can still use my Darkstar , and or my Simaudio or my new to come

amplifier ?

Sorry if this is a noob question , but this is honestly under an hour old infos to me 

im jonesin , for sometime now to hear Roxy musics  Avalon Hi res MCH mix. i hear its a dream , as is Floyds WYWH and Any Eagles MCH 

And likely anything Steve Wilson has ever touched .

So will this simply blend in with my present setup , and ill use my power sources as i have mentioned ? Also is there anything else i need to consider (purchasing) 

to help this all work?

Cheers

Oct 21, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #360 of 15,987
Ill second that request

You'Ll second your own request?
Well, to answer your questions: Yes.
The Smyth Realiser A16 serves as a surround processor, DAC, and amp. So it does well as a stand alone.
But it also has an analog line output so you can connect your Darkstar or any other amp directly to the DAC output of the A16.
It also has optical and Coax digital outputs, so you could use the A16 as "just" a processor and connect it to a DAC (and the rest of your audio chain).

I found that out and thought the A16 is remarkably flexible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back