Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 18, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #13,622 of 16,011
Is it possible to extract the data for the measurement of the two main stereo speakers from the A16 for your headphone and compare it to the results provided by AutoEQ?
I have not personally tried this, but I'm told this works. But first, do you want to output a two channel speaker virtualization or just the headphone correction? Assuming just the correction, here is the basic idea...

- Listening Rooms -> Whatever you use -> Configure -> Enable Stereo and HPEQ
- Connect a computer to the rear USB port on the A16
- Set the A16 to get audio input from USB.
- Press the Speaker button on your A16 remote. (Note this can also be used when you want to listen to traditional unvirtualized two channel with headphone EQ.)
- You can now use REW to play a test signal and capture the output. Exactly how to do this, I don't know. Hopefully someone with experience with REW can fill in the details.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #13,623 of 16,011
That is very well possible. First of all a headphone frequency response on your head can be very different from measurements on some measurement rig. Secondly neutrality in headphones is a complicated concept that differs per individual. The Harman Curve is just an average that works for a large part of the people, but not for all people.

Then my guess is that you will not easily improve on those results with measurements. The Realiser measurements are in fact not perfect and can benefit from manual improvement with the manLoud or manSpeaker method. (I am assuming by the way that you now want an EQ for normal headphone listening without speaker virtualisation? Because that would not be the same as a HPEQ.)
Even with my personal PRIR's it was necessary to do manLouds to make everything fall into place. For one thing, HPEQ will not take care of ear canal resonances b/c the canal is blocked by the mics. That needs to be handled for the PRIRs to sound natural. And it is an inherently indivudual tuning using the method outlined by Linkwitz and Greisinger.

Jun 19, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #13,624 of 16,011
................ And it is an inherently indivudual tuning using the method outlined by Linkwitz and Greisinger.
Have Siegfried Linkwitz and David Griesinger co-authored a paper describing an individual tuning method for headphones? To the best of my knowledge, there are Siegfried Linkwitz’s Publications, Talks
https://www.linkwitzlab.com/publications.htm
18 - Siegfried Linkwitz, Improved Headphone Listening - Build a stereo-crossfeed circuit, Audio, December 1971, Abstract, Full article.

Griesinger’s home page
http://www.davidgriesinger.com/

and David Griesinger’s YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuc4vki_YQFfY7oCfKSm5YA

Jun 19, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #13,625 of 16,011
I’m having some issues with the set top (the little LED box at the front). It stoped working and seem unresponsive to any changes in the HT settings. It lights up at power up, but then feels frozen. When unplugging and replugging it lights up for a second and then turns off. I’ve tried using different cables and plugging into the two different jacks on the sides with no help.
G'day,

Try resetting the Realiser A16 to factory settings.

I had a similar problem and the reset fixed it. During the startup process, all the LEDs on the set-top unit would flash on and then go off. After a few more seconds, the LEDs on the set-top unit would start to follow the movement of the headset (i.e. like it was tracking properly). But after a few seconds of that, the LEDs will be not change, and remain fixed at the last tracking position. They stayed like that until the Realiser A16 was turned off or turned to standby.

James said to try the thermal calibration process (i.e. putting it in the freezer), but that did not fix the problem. He then said to send the head tracker back. I was about to go to all that trouble, and thought it couldn't hurt to try a factory reset—fortunately, the reset fixed the problem for me.

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #13,627 of 16,011
Hello,
I am looking to sell an a16 as I just picked up a new one. The one I'm looking to sell is an original model, meaning it does not have the 24 channel capability. It is such a niche item that I am having trouble selling it in traditional marketplaces. Anyone have any recommendations on places to sell?
Have you posted in the classified sections of this forum? It's probably your biggest target audience.

Jun 22, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #13,630 of 16,011
So this is embarrassing, but I could not figure out how to make a listing in the classified section. I'm new here.

I think that you’ve already found Classified Rules & Guidelines (Updated February 2019)
https://www.head-fi.org/articles/classified-rules-guidelines-updated-february-2019.13274/

Also, Head-Fi Classifieds FAQ and Walkthrough
https://www.head-fi.org/articles/head-fi-classifieds-faq-and-walkthrough.19757/

and Scam Warnings - Important Reading!
https://www.head-fi.org/articles/trading-advisory-updated-february-2021.16248/

are useful for knowing.

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #13,631 of 16,011
Hi everyone, have any of you managed to get in touch with Mr. James via email recently? I've been emailing him for 3 months, but I can't get a reply. I don't know if he is sick or something has changed? Because in the most recent email I received from him three months ago, it said he was not feeling well and had just returned to the office.

Jun 23, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #13,632 of 16,011
Hi everyone, have any of you managed to get in touch with Mr. James via email recently? I've been emailing him for 3 months, but I can't get a reply. I don't know if he is sick or something has changed? Because in the most recent email I received from him three months ago, it said he was not feeling well and had just returned to the office.
He is out of the office this week... Will be back soon.

Jun 29, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #13,633 of 16,011
Screenshot_20220629-114502_Gallery.jpg

It is ready!!! Auro-3D is ready!

For those that are interested... Please send James an email with your log file.
james@smyth-research.com

The price of the decoder is $199.

This is going to be fun!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #13,635 of 16,011
I think Smyth Research should post instructions for installing Auro 3D on Realiser A16, pretty much the same with those for dts-X installation.

Excerpt from release notes for installing new firmware Rev 2.10 April 18, 2022: “Auro 3D decoding will be available as a cost upgrade in the near future. The 2.10 firmware paves the way for this release by creating menus, sound rooms and presets associated with Auro 3D. More information will be available imminently.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back