Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 9, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #13,456 of 15,989
An easier option is to download the Dolby Access app. It's technically for Dolby seminars or something but it has the usual Dolby Vision / Dolby Atmos clips on the front page. However they do require Dolby Vision to play.

Are you sure it is called Dolby Access? https://apps.apple.com/us/developer/dolby-laboratories/id568188904

Sounds like it is worth downloading, if it is free, but I can't see how that is easier than just playing Atmos (for free) in the AppleTV app that comes with every AppleTV by default.

May 9, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #13,457 of 15,989
May 9, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #13,458 of 15,989
Oh, could be called Dolby Summit. It is easier because you just launch the app and you have the clips there. Consistent and no need to search for anything.

It is really trivial to find Atmos content on the AppleTV app. Most of Apple's original programming is in Atmos. It has the added advantage that if Atmos is properly setup, you can be fairly sure it is going to work in Apple's own app. In other apps, you can't be sure if the issue is with the app or with the AppleTV itself.
:deadhorse:

May 9, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #13,459 of 15,989
It is really trivial to find Atmos content on the AppleTV app. Most of Apple's original programming is in Atmos. It has the added advantage that if Atmos is properly setup, you can be fairly sure it is going to work in Apple's own app. In other apps, you can't be sure if the issue is with the app or with the AppleTV itself.
:deadhorse:
Up to you, I certainly don't feel that way as I practically never use the Apple TV app, but it doesn't hurt to be aware of other options either way.

May 9, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #13,460 of 15,989
As Realiser A16 cannot process DSD (DST) signals, the source (for example, a SACD/BD player) provides DST conversion to PCM. 5.0 DST to 5.0 PCM. Prior to the firmware 2.11, Realiser A16 rendered 5.0 PCM signals as 2.0.

There are labels that manufacture 5.0 multichannel SACD discs and not 5.1 SACDs.
I use JRiver Media Center to send DSD(ripped to DSD) as “DSD over DoP.” I then bypass the A16’s DAC by connecting it to a DSD-capable DAC via coax. I was wondering if the statement in the pdf pointed to any actual difference in how the signal input into the A16 was processed.

May 10, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #13,461 of 15,989
I use JRiver Media Center to send DSD(ripped to DSD) as “DSD over DoP.” I then bypass the A16’s DAC by connecting it to a DSD-capable DAC via coax. I was wondering if the statement in the pdf pointed to any actual difference in how the signal input into the A16 was processed.
It is unclear to me what you are doing exactly. Are you sending "DSD over DoP" to the A16 and thinking you get "DSD over DoP" from the A16 coaxial output? The only scenario in which I see this working - DSD over DoP arriving at the DSD capable DAC after going through the A16 - is when you are not using virtual speakers but let the A16 pass on a stereo PCM stream (containing DoP) untouched (if this is possible at all, because you have to use the stereo downmix function, but maybe when only stereo is coming in and with the appropiate settings in the stereo mixdown submenu the net effect is indeed that the PCM is going out untouched so it could be possible).

The speaker virtualization is a result of digital signal processing applied to PCM. If this PCM was in fact not real PCM but containing DSD bits packed in the PCM format then the result of the SVS processing would be something like total random noise. If you are trying to do what I think you are trying to do using virtual speakers and it seems to work then you can safely assume that somewhere the "DSD over DoP" is converted to normal PCM. Probably by the source (that somehow recognises the A16 can not handle DoP).

May 10, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #13,462 of 15,989
Is anyone using Sennheiser HD820 closed-back headphones with the Realiser? My wife is complaining about sound leakage from my HD800S. Any other recommendations for closed-back headphones that work well with the Realiser?

May 10, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #13,463 of 15,989
Is anyone using Sennheiser HD820 closed-back headphones with the Realiser? My wife is complaining about sound leakage from my HD800S. Any other recommendations for closed-back headphones that work well with the Realiser?
Ouch, thats a tough one. Now you're going to have to get a new wife.

May 10, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #13,464 of 15,989
Any other recommendations for closed-back headphones that work well with the Realiser?
Some people had a good experience using Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO with their Realiser. With a price tag of less than 10% of the HD820 price you could maybe not take it serious, on the other hand: for that price, why not try it and maybe be positively surprised?

May 10, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #13,465 of 15,989
Some people had a good experience using Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO with their Realiser. With a price tag of less than 10% of the HD820 price you could maybe not take it serious, on the other hand: for that price, why not try it and maybe be positively surprised?

Thanks. I have HD650s and they don't work nearly as well as the 800S for me, so I was hoping to get some in-person recommendations.

May 10, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #13,466 of 15,989
It's going to be difficult to match the soundstage of an open back.

I recommend the Fostex TH900.

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #13,467 of 15,989
May 11, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #13,468 of 15,989
I use a Firestick connected directly to the Realiser.
I can confirm that the Firestick works perfectly with the Smyth Realiser. All the Netflix and Disney Plus content sounds amazing in 5.1 or Dolby Atmos.
Also, Dolby Atmos with Tidal worked immediately. Quite contrary to my experiences with the Apple TV.

But I have to admit that I am a bit confused with what I am hearing. The sound is in now way convincing.
I am also surprised that for example listening to Max Cooper Emergence on Tidal via my iPad to the Nuraphone (via Bluetooth) I also get Dolby Atmos and it is great.

30914690-0518-4B43-9B50-76F599E15C3A.png

The same album on the Smyth Realiser A16 via the Firestick.
51CF0AF5-6B15-4DD2-A2AF-EBF88ACA47D2.jpeg

As I am not getting any longer clear front localization it all sounds more like a typical headphone experience. The same is true for all the other Dolby Atmos tracks on Tidal. E.g. Jazz titles like Bill Evans „Always“. Too much pin—pong stereophonie. If I reduce it to 2 speakers - still Dolby Audio - already better and also better compared to the same version without Dolby on Tidal.
If I then switch back to a e.g. 9.1.4. the sound becomes much more artificial and unnatural.
So something seems to be off in the way Dolby Audio and the Smyth Realiser work together.
Just making sure so no one thinks my A16 or my profiles are broken:
a) While listening to stereo on Tidal e.g. via Firestick and my PC and then the Smyth Realiser (using my own inear measurements of my Focals) is delivering an amazing loudspeaker front localisation.
b) Listening a Dolby Atmos film on Netflix via Firetv, perfect.
c) Playing Cyberpunk 2077 incredible atmospheric on 9.1.4 or 9.1.6.

May 11, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #13,469 of 15,989
As I am not getting any longer clear front localization it all sounds more like a typical headphone experience. The same is true for all the other Dolby Atmos tracks on Tidal.
Looking at your a16 screen. If that is what you are seeing when playing Atmos content via Tidal... I don't think you are hearing Atmos... But instead an upmix. My screen says Dolby Atmos when playing Atmos content via Tidal... Yours says Dolby Audio.

I'm not home so I can't check for you.

You may need to update the Tidal app.

As good as Dolby Atmos music is via Tidal... I enjoy the dynamic range of the TrueHD much more.

Both Cooper albums are available here: https://pureaudiorecordings.com/en/?s=Max+cooper&lang=en

I just received them a few weeks ago.. the videos that play along with the music are really cool.

20220413_103145.jpg

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #13,470 of 15,989
Could try the Dan Clark Stealth's. Might even be a step up from the HD 800S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back