Smyth Research Realiser A16
Apr 21, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #13,351 of 16,005
I am using the A16 for playing Cyberpunk 2077 and the height effect of the street environment and the constant anouncements is wonderful.

Maybe I'm just unable to hear it then. What's your source device and audio format?

My audio source is the PC, or to be more precise HDMI coming from a Nvidia 3070 TI. The flatscreen is attached in parallel via display port.
The Cyberpunk 2077 in game audio setup is almost untouched, but I have it on the highest quality setting, which is Studio Reference.
75F653D5-4F0F-4DFE-9388-5AA2B54EF031.jpeg

Apr 21, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #13,352 of 16,005
My audio source is the PC, or to be more precise HDMI coming from a Nvidia 3070 TI. The flatscreen is attached in parallel via display port.
The Cyberpunk 2077 in game audio setup is almost untouched, but I have it on the highest quality setting, which is Studio Reference.
75F653D5-4F0F-4DFE-9388-5AA2B54EF031.jpeg
So does your PC output Atmos or what mode is your A16 running in?

Apr 21, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #13,353 of 16,005
Maybe you didn’t pay enough attention to previous posts. It’s not the first time the issue of no sound is reported here. Starting from October, last year, @Got the Shakes, I and other users wrote here about that issue. @Got the Shakes was the first who noticed a solution: “dance of bouncing to a preset with default speakers and then back to one that I setup myself.”

@Got the Shakes and I contacted James Smyth and sent him the results of the investigations he suggested, but he wrote back that they couldn’t reproduce the issue.

Excuse me? I didn't read all 5,000+ posts in which that might have been buried, and I already said that it was a known issue here. I said that it was the first time I had seen preset switching posted as a solution, and it had been since I mentioned having that problem in early February. What had been suggested when I first mentioned it was power cycling, which didn't work for me. I didn't read this forum every single day, and had been periodically checking on updates every few months.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #13,355 of 16,005
Excuse me? I didn't read all 5,000+ posts in which that might have been buried, and I already said that it was a known issue here. I said that it was the first time I had seen preset switching posted as a solution, and it had been since I mentioned having that problem in early February. What had been suggested when I first mentioned it was power cycling, which didn't work for me. I didn't read this forum every single day, and had been periodically checking on updates every few months.

I too have been experiencing the no audio problem.

The Smyths are aware of it.. it is repeatable on their end.. and they are working on it.

They think it is a mute issue...

If you start and stop your content.. this seems to fix the problem.

I'll update when I know more.

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #13,359 of 16,005
@GeorgeA how did your speaker stands work out for the atmos speakers? Did you take any pictures?
Actually, I haven’t carried out other new measurements using tripod speaker stands with tilting adapters as I waited for the added Auro 3D menus. I hope that a reasonable compromise among Atmos, DTS:X and Auro 3D angles might be set up.

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #13,360 of 16,005
Actually, I haven’t carried out other new measurements using tripod speaker stands with tilting adapters as I waited for the added Auro 3D menus. I hope that a reasonable compromise among Atmos, DTS:X and Auro 3D angles might be set up.
You should be able to use a 40° elevation for all three... Auro 3D recommends 25 to 40° elevation. Not perfect but there are always compromises.

Apr 22, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #13,363 of 16,005
I’ve updated my Realiser A16 to the firmware rev. 2.10 (screen capture 01). I can’t comment on eARC input as I haven’t got an eARC TV set yet. The screen capture 02 shows the untouched Preset 4. You can notice the new Auro listening room. With respect to Auro, there’re some new settings (screen capture 03) that need to be explained in the user manual after Auro 3D certification is available.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #13,364 of 16,005
@Litlgi74
This p. 57 of the document https://www.dolby.com/siteassets/te...atmos-installation-guidelines-121318_r3.1.pdf that you're referring to specifically describes placing of Height Speakers for Dolby Atmos.
Normally and in the beginning Atmos only worked with top speakers. Dolby refers to them as overhead speakers. The Realiser names them top speakers.
For many Atmos setups there ar two different layouts, one with top (overhead) speakers, in the Realiser just called 7.1.4 for example, and one with height speakers, Smyth adds an "h" to the layout, so 7.1.4h.

top (overhead) speakers should have a greater elevation (ca. 45 deg) and usually mounted on the ceiling. heights should have around 30deg elevation and usually mounted on the front and back walls.
Auro 3D works with height speakers at about 30 deg (plus one optional speaker directly above the listener, called voice of god...)
So a "normal" Atmos installation with top speakers is not really compatible to an Auro 3D installation.

Dolby later introduced height speakers (to be more compatible with Auro maybe...?)

There is a home cinema enthusiast from Germany who I know, he wrote a "one for all guide" for a combination of Atmos and Auro.
Normally discussed and available in a closed facebook group (I do not use facebook) but the german dealer "grobi.tv" linked it (english version) in his blog:
https://www.grobi.tv/media/pdf/54/3...-Guide_V5-0_englisch_publishigPUdX9hPlgSJ.pdf

But be "warned": Holger who wrote the guide and "grobi.tv" are strong proponents of Auro 3D, they are in contact with Wilfried van Baelen, the inventor of Auro, and also visited the Galaxy Studios recently, there are videos on the grobi.tv YT channels.
grobi is known for criticising Dolby Atmos all the time, making videos where they switch off the listener level channels to show that the top (or height) speakers don't do much over the whole lengths of many movies, whereas with the Auro upmixer (because there are nearly no movies in native Auro) there is always sound on the height channels...

So they may be a bit biassed towards Auro...

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #13,365 of 16,005
It's a miracle. With the new firmware, my inability to get dolby atmos from my hisense tv via eARC has been completely solved. Quick testing shows no issues getting atmos from the apple TV and disney apps on my TV...so, I can return my apple TV 4K. I can also control the volume of the A16 using my tv control

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back