Smyth Research Realiser A16
Apr 11, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #13,307 of 16,008
Thanks for the link; this is very interesting.

They basically are implementing what I mused over a year ago that Apple might do to gain PHRTF for the AirPod Max, which is:

"After downloading the Dolby PHRTF Creator app, a user takes a 10-second, 360-degree video of the upper body, then uploads to the Dolby Cloud, where the shoulder, head and ears are broken down into 50,000 points of capture, analyzed and processed. Then download a file (personal to you and able to be loaded from any compatible device, e.g., a co-producer’s laptop) to load into the Dolby Atmos Renderer Application or Dolby Atmos toolset for game development. It’s free to existing users. It works with any headphones."

Except that on Apple, the PHRTF is simply associated with a given AppleID account and then deployed whenever the user related to that AppleID uses their AirPods.

While the A16 PRIR process results in a better mapping of both the HRTF and the speaker/room 'sound', one can't argue with the convenience of a quick scan of one's head to gain a PRHTF in a matter of minutes.

The fact that Dolby is implementing this for the recording process tells me that it will not be long before they start supporting it in renderers licensed to CE vendors. I expect a 2025 AVR to support Atmos over headphones as a standard feature, relying on a variant of the Dolby iPhone app for the scanning. Same for dedicated headphone DAC systems, I expect to see models with Atmos support in a couple of years.

Apr 15, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #13,308 of 16,008
Did they ever fix the issue with there simply being no sound at all from output A? Because this crap is getting old. Simply power cycling, or even pulling the plug doesn't work for me. I have to reset to factory defaults every time this happens, and it seems to be happening over 50% of the time I even use the unit anymore, which isn't even that often. It's to the point in which for all intents and purposes 24ch and output A may as well not even exist. It's not affecting B at all in this way though.

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #13,309 of 16,008
Did they ever fix the issue with there simply being no sound at all from output A? Because this crap is getting old. Simply power cycling, or even pulling the plug doesn't work for me. I have to reset to factory defaults every time this happens, and it seems to be happening over 50% of the time I even use the unit anymore, which isn't even that often. It's to the point in which for all intents and purposes 24ch and output A may as well not even exist. It's not affecting B at all in this way though.
I am so sorry to hear this.
I am very fortunate using only the balanced mode that I never encountered this issue.

Apr 15, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #13,311 of 16,008
With Corona measures given up in Germany I am thinking of finally getting my 9.1.4 HRTF taken at the msm studios in Munich.
https://for-tune.de/produkt/dolby-atmos-prir-messung-msm-studios-muenchen/
Has anyone done this at msm already?
I have not. I do, however, want to remind you to ask about getting Auro 3D height speakers done while you're there (in anticipation of Auro 3D certification being on the horizon per Gilles in France). I'm pretty sure that you'll only want to do this once, after all.

Apr 16, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #13,312 of 16,008
With Corona measures given up in Germany I am thinking of finally getting my 9.1.4 HRTF taken at the msm studios in Munich.
https://for-tune.de/produkt/dolby-atmos-prir-messung-msm-studios-muenchen/
Has anyone done this at msm already?

I'm excited for you...

If you know the studio specifics... Would you mind sharing them. Such as speakers used, distance to MLP, ceiling height?

Can't really tell much from the photograph
Screenshot_20220416-025355_Chrome.jpg

Curious Minds

Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #13,313 of 16,008
Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #13,314 of 16,008
I'm excited for you...

If you know the studio specifics... Would you mind sharing them. Such as speakers used, distance to MLP, ceiling height?

Curious Minds

Thanks
There’re more photos available and a brief description at
https://www.msm-studios.com/studio-f

“The Dolby Atmos Home certified Immersive Suite with a 9.1.4 playback system and full HD projection facilitates mixing and mastering of music productions in all popular immersive formats such as Dolby Atmos Home, Sony 360, Auro 3D, DTS:X, MPEG-H and Fraunhofer SpatialSound Wave.

The studio, which is extremely precisely measured by the internationally renowned acoustician Jochen Veith, ensures transparent and homogeneous sound quality for all musical challenges. The 9.1.4 speaker setup consists of PMC IB2S (Left, Center, Right) and DB1S (Surround and Height) speakers as well as three PMC SB100 subwoofers.”

Apr 17, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #13,315 of 16,008
I have not. I do, however, want to remind you to ask about getting Auro 3D height speakers done while you're there (in anticipation of Auro 3D certification being on the horizon per Gilles in France). I'm pretty sure that you'll only want to do this once, after all.
Somehow I might be a bit uninformed but why is Auro 3D the big deal? How does this translate to e.g. Gaming. Am I missing anything?

I'm excited for you...

Screenshot_20220416-025355_Chrome.jpg

Curious Minds

Thanks
I guess GeorgeA answered this already. Only know what is on their website.
There’re more photos available and a brief description at
https://www.msm-studios.com/studio-f

“The Dolby Atmos Home certified Immersive Suite with a 9.1.4 playback system and full HD projection facilitates mixing and mastering of music productions in all popular immersive formats such as Dolby Atmos Home, Sony 360, Auro 3D, DTS:X, MPEG-H and Fraunhofer SpatialSound Wave.

The studio, which is extremely precisely measured by the internationally renowned acoustician Jochen Veith, ensures transparent and homogeneous sound quality for all musical challenges. The 9.1.4 speaker setup consists of PMC IB2S (Left, Center, Right) and DB1S (Surround and Height) speakers as well as three PMC SB100 subwoofers.”

By searching this tread, it follows that @chi2 did an Atmos 9.1.4 measurement at the MSM studios in Munich (Post #10,408). Maybe, you write a personal message to him.
I will thank you.

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #13,316 of 16,008
Somehow I might be a bit uninformed but why is Auro 3D the big deal? How does this translate to e.g. Gaming. Am I missing anything?
It was born dead IMO. Even DTS is now looking like an ant compared to the Atmos market, and DTS is a giant compared to Auro 3D. Their distinctive thing(beside changing stuff just for the sake of not getting hit by copyright laws), is to allow for a speaker setup with one more level above the basic horizontal line up.
For gaming(like just about everywhere else) Atmos is king. I'm not saying it's better, they're all the same tech deep down, but Atmos has been accepted as THE 3D audio format. It's too late for others now.

standards.png

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #13,317 of 16,008
It was born dead IMO. Even DTS is now looking like an ant compared to the Atmos market, and DTS is a giant compared to Auro 3D. Their distinctive thing(beside changing stuff just for the sake of not getting hit by copyright laws), is to allow for a speaker setup with one more level above the basic horizontal line up.
For gaming(like just about everywhere else) Atmos is king. I'm not saying it's better, they're all the same tech deep down, but Atmos has been accepted as THE 3D audio format. It's too late for others now.

standards.png
I think you have it the wrong way. Auro 3D was first and it is actually Atmos that was restricted in speaker placement by Auro 3D's patents.

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #13,318 of 16,008
I think you have it the wrong way. Auro 3D was first and it is actually Atmos that was restricted in speaker placement by Auro 3D's patents.
Seems like you're right. There a lot of struggle for first place at all levels(first cinema, first movie, majority of cinemas, first codec of many, first processor, first home theater product...), so I probably got confused by that or I just have crap memory^_^ but apparently Auro, the initial basic concept existed first. Thanks for pointing that out.

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #13,320 of 16,008
I remember something about Dolby being Dolby and trying to block others from upmixing Atmos. Is that still a thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back