Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 1, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #13,187 of 16,011
Has anybody been in contact with James lately? I sent him an email on Feb 17 and he hasn't replied to me yet. Given their general lack of communication, it's hard to know if this is just business as usual or if it's something else.
Maybe they are busy working on another SVS firmware revision for Realiser A16 or working together with Audio XD for a revised Realiser A16 Speaker Edition.

Mar 1, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #13,188 of 16,011
They are alive. They've been in communication with certain select people. They just don't always answer emails. Actually seldom.

Mar 1, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #13,189 of 16,011
In case anyone is curious, I brought in an Apple AirPods Max to see how the spatial audio would do on the Apple TV 4K vs the A16 using the HD800. Well, the APM sounded pretty good considering it was easy to set up/use and wireless, but as you probably guessed not up to the A16 level. Having said that, it is probably 75% there and if you never heard the A16, it is pretty good for atmos movies.

In the meantime as I wait on my preorder A16, I'm looking for a bridge product like the Apple AirPods Max, maybe.
I have a 77" LG CX OLED TV around 12 feet from primary listening position. It has bluetooth built in but not sure if it will pass Atmos?
I have an AppleTV 4k but dont use it much.
I have a Firestick 4K (not the 4K Max but I may upgrade if someone suggests) that I use a lot. I watch a lot of programming from the "Cinema" app, Netflix, prime Video, Disney+ all thru it.

I've read directions on how to pair the Apple Airpods Max to the Firestick. But not sure if Atmos is actually passed. And then which apps actually pass Atmos?

Any suggestions to bridge products while I wait? Any thoughts on the above with the Airpods Max and compatability with apps and equipment?

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #13,190 of 16,011
Right now I am using a Soundblaster G6 and hard wired AKG712 headphones for simultated 7.1. Doesn't process Atmos.

Mar 2, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #13,191 of 16,011
Right now I am using a Soundblaster G6 and hard wired AKG712 headphones for simultated 7.1. Doesn't process Atmos.
Michael, much as I hate to write this, the best thing to do is to pay the difference between the preorder and full cost and get your Realizer as soon as possible. Those bridge products will not really make you happy. I've paid the full price, and for all the headaches, getting the A16 rendering native ATMOS in 24 channels with a good system capture was really worth it. Everything else is a pale copy. So, I know it's unfair, but (if you can afford it), having that Realizer next week will certainly beat listening to Sounblaster G6 or OOYH, or Audeze Mobius, or any of that other stuff, until 2024 at the earliest.

Mar 3, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #13,192 of 16,011
Michael, much as I hate to write this, the best thing to do is to pay the difference between the preorder and full cost and get your Realizer as soon as possible. Those bridge products will not really make you happy. I've paid the full price, and for all the headaches, getting the A16 rendering native ATMOS in 24 channels with a good system capture was really worth it. Everything else is a pale copy. So, I know it's unfair, but (if you can afford it), having that Realizer next week will certainly beat listening to Sounblaster G6 or OOYH, or Audeze Mobius, or any of that other stuff, until 2024 at the earliest.
I appreciate the input. I already put in $1700 and waited 4 years. To put another $2500 after waiting 4 years is just not going to happen. You mention 2024.. is that when Smyth expects to fill these orders or is there another product coming out.

Mar 3, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #13,193 of 16,011
I appreciate the input. I already put in $1700 and waited 4 years. To put another $2500 after waiting 4 years is just not going to happen. You mention 2024.. is that when Smyth expects to fill these orders or is there another product coming out.
Kickstarter units haven't been fully sent out yet and exactly 0 new units have been shipped since the AKM factory fire in 2020. And since then the global chip shortage has made things even worse and doesn't seem to be getting any better. At this rate you will lose your hearing before ever seeing anything heading your way.

Mar 3, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #13,194 of 16,011
Kickstarter units haven't been fully sent out yet and exactly 0 new units have been shipped since the AKM factory fire in 2020. And since then the global chip shortage has made things even worse and doesn't seem to be getting any better. At this rate you will lose your hearing before ever seeing anything heading your way.
So based on this, even if I paid more money I would never see a unit...

Mar 3, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #13,196 of 16,011
So based on this, even if I paid more money I would never see a unit...
They have some units that they have held for full retail customers. Seems as though people who have gone that route have received their A16 within a few weeks of payment.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #13,197 of 16,011
In the meantime as I wait on my preorder A16, I'm looking for a bridge product like the Apple AirPods Max, maybe.
I have a 77" LG CX OLED TV around 12 feet from primary listening position. It has bluetooth built in but not sure if it will pass Atmos?
I have an AppleTV 4k but dont use it much.
I have a Firestick 4K (not the 4K Max but I may upgrade if someone suggests) that I use a lot. I watch a lot of programming from the "Cinema" app, Netflix, prime Video, Disney+ all thru it.

I've read directions on how to pair the Apple Airpods Max to the Firestick. But not sure if Atmos is actually passed. And then which apps actually pass Atmos?

Any suggestions to bridge products while I wait? Any thoughts on the above with the Airpods Max and compatability with apps and equipment?
the AIrpods max connects well with the appleTV 4K (latest version 2nd gen), but does require a restart of the appletv as atmos doesn't show up sometimes, and instead one gets PCM. However, sound wise, it is at about 75-80 percent of the A16 knowing that for most technologies, the final 20 percent is hard to achieve. I use the airpods max for convenience as start up time is quicker, but for movies I want to watch more attentively, it is the A16. The Airpods Max if I didn't know any better by itself is pretty good.

Mar 3, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #13,198 of 16,011
SergioPOE, same here -- I emailed him with a question a couple of weeks ago, but no response yet.

Has anyone used a Bluesound Node, or any file server/music streamer that uses a coaxial output, with the A16? I have the Node connected to the A16's coaxial input, but there's no signal. Of course, Bluesound would say it's the A16's fault and Smyth would say it's the Node's fault...

Edit: The Node's RCA outputs work with the A16, but still no sound from the coaxial output. I could use RCA, but I'd like to avoid two D/A conversions. It probably doesn't make any difference, but it's just I thing I have.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #13,199 of 16,011
Has anyone used a Bluesound Node, or any file server/music streamer that uses a coaxial output, with the A16? I have the Node connected to the A16's coaxial input, but there's no signal. Of course, Bluesound would say it's the A16's fault and Smyth would say it's the Node's fault...

Edit: The Node's RCA outputs work with the A16, but still no sound from the coaxial output. I could use RCA, but I'd like to avoid two D/A conversions. It probably doesn't make any difference, but it's just I thing I have.

I had the same problem with my Node2i. I finally discovered that the A16 won't accept any digital signal over 48kHz, regardless of what the manual says. So I'm using the analog connection too.

Mar 3, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #13,200 of 16,011
I had the same problem with my Node2i. I finally discovered that the A16 won't accept any digital signal over 48kHz, regardless of what the manual says. So I'm using the analog connection too.
Hmmm... I was previously using a MacBook with 24/96 FLAC files on it, and the A16 worked fine over HDMI. Anyway, have you found that the sound degrades over the analog connection since it has to go D/A/D?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back