Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 9, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #12,347 of 15,987
I think Gilles was the real beta tester for the Smyths as they were/are developing the two realisers (A8/A16) his picture is in the official manual also...
speaking of which... for those that are signing up for the French site with Gilles can you tell us what content your getting besides the PRIR files..

Oct 9, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #12,349 of 15,987
[...]
for those that are signing up for the French site with Gilles can you tell us what content your getting besides the PRIR files..

1- The lastest manual in French of the SMYTH Realiser A16;
2- Video files to make your own room captures with your A16; (the async files)
3- Room capture PRIR files, shared by users, to compose your listening rooms. (22 rooms, most done by Gilles and described as "auditorium" instead of e.g. home cinema)

Oct 9, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #12,350 of 15,987
1- The lastest manual in French of the SMYTH Realiser A16;
2- Video files to make your own room captures with your A16; (the async files)
3- Room capture PRIR files, shared by users, to compose your listening rooms. (22 rooms, most done by Gilles and described as "auditorium" instead of e.g. home cinema)
Doesn't he also sell A16 accessories (binaural mics, head trackers) and doesn't he have an in house studio room for in person PRIRs?

Is the manual going to be translated to English at some point in time?

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #12,351 of 15,987
I'm more interested in a updated manual as the original is based on older firmware and I don't see any activity on the Smyth site indicating the manual getting updated soon...
For PRIIR files... we have the free site with several shared PRIR files... its nice for those to be shared...
and of course we have the 3D sound shop which all are very well done...
The sync files and vids showing the capture would be nice to have too...

Oct 9, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #12,352 of 15,987
Doesn't he also sell A16 accessories (binaural mics, head trackers) and doesn't he have an in house studio room for in person PRIRs?

If you visit av-in.com, you’ll read the following information in French:

“The AV-in store is the official online store of the French distributor of the SMYTH Realiser A16, Medialight and Spears & Munsil products, AV-in.
AV-in has been distributing Smyth-Research products since 2009. AV-in has a demonstration showroom by appointment at 16 allée de fontainebleau in Paris”.

Original accessories
https://av-in.com/collections/accessoires-dorigine

Oct 9, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #12,353 of 15,987

Though I bought my A16 from Gilles I never went to his studio to make any measurements. From what I can read on HCFR the studio can be described as follows, if this info is to be trusted of course which is not always true on forums unfortunately... : (google translation)
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/search.php?st=90&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=gilles prir&t=30075654&sf=msgonly&ch=-1&start=15
1) ... only complaint I find it lacks a bit of bass in his room, especially compared to mine ...

2)...but I think that my brain does not make the connection with my room which is 30M2 VS 15m2 at Gilles...

3)...To come back to the bad experience with recording at Gilles, here are some potential explanations:
* the capture at Gilles's is made in a very small room (a living room of a dozen m²), with a fairly low ceiling, pc-type ceiling speakers placed just above the head: it is therefore a priori normal to end up with a narrow sound bubble I think.
* to go faster, Gilles uses the short test setting (signals of 4s instead of 12s) with an overlap between the speakers (the signal is played simultaneously on several speakers with a frequency shift): maybe this influences the result, I put 12s without any overlap
* as I said the distance is very important and its front speakers were logically not at the right distance compared to my use: if you go to Gilles, measure before the right distance at home and place the chair at Gilles at the good distance...

Edit :
accessories : headtrackers at EUR 170 apiece
https://av-in.com/collections/accessoires-dorigine/products/suiveur-de-tete-pour-realiser-a16

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #12,355 of 15,987
thats good news... let us know how you like the new hardware and the new firmware... now you get to purchase a nice 24 ch PRIR from John over at 3D Sound Shop... its worth the cost of admission....

Oct 10, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #12,356 of 15,987
My A16 was JUST DELIVERED to my front door! Saturday Oct 9 at 5PM PDT.

It was shipped via UPS Express by Smyth on Thursday Oct 7.

How is that even possible? Two days, to exit one country and enter another country, pass through Customs, get on a truck, and get delivered?

(no complaints, but is that really possible?)
It was possible as Smyths applied to UPS Express, which meant delivery commitment of 1-3 business days.

Oct 10, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #12,357 of 15,987
I'm more interested in a updated manual as the original is based on older firmware and I don't see any activity on the Smyth site indicating the manual getting updated soon...
For PRIIR files... we have the free site with several shared PRIR files... it
Though I bought my A16 from Gilles I never went to his studio to make any measurements. From what I can read on HCFR the studio can be described as follows, if this info is to be trusted of course which is not always true on forums unfortunately... : (google translation)
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/search.php?st=90&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=gilles prir&t=30075654&sf=msgonly&ch=-1&start=15
1) ... only complaint I find it lacks a bit of bass in his room, especially compared to mine ...

2)...but I think that my brain does not make the connection with my room which is 30M2 VS 15m2 at Gilles...

3)...To come back to the bad experience with recording at Gilles, here are some potential explanations:
* the capture at Gilles's is made in a very small room (a living room of a dozen m²), with a fairly low ceiling, pc-type ceiling speakers placed just above the head: it is therefore a priori normal to end up with a narrow sound bubble I think.
* to go faster, Gilles uses the short test setting (signals of 4s instead of 12s) with an overlap between the speakers (the signal is played simultaneously on several speakers with a frequency shift): maybe this influences the result, I put 12s without any overlap
* as I said the distance is very important and its front speakers were logically not at the right distance compared to my use: if you go to Gilles, measure before the right distance at home and place the chair at Gilles at the good distance...

Edit :
accessories : headtrackers at EUR 170 apiece
https://av-in.com/collections/accessoires-dorigine/products/suiveur-de-tete-pour-realiser-a16
All of my PRIRs have been done in a smaller room, and sound fine. I used 12 seconds with no overlap and 15 degree look angles (2) which seem to generate excellent results, but are more time consuming. I would not recommend overlap as it will create interactions between (among) the speakers, which I don't know why you would want.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #12,358 of 15,987
thats good news... let us know how you like the new hardware and the new firmware... now you get to purchase a nice 24 ch PRIR from John over at 3D Sound Shop... its worth the cost of admission....
Yes, you do want to buy from John. He's extremely precise in his approach, and captures excellent speakers in a professional studio, so yes, a definite cut above everything else out there IMHO.

Oct 10, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #12,360 of 15,987
I would not recommend overlap as it will create interactions between (among) the speakers, which I don't know why you would want.
How so? As far as I can see, the signals should be easily separateable in frequency space, with only minor smear in the very lowest frequencies ( << 50Hz if I remember correctly). Mind you, I've only checked that with audacity, so I could be wrong. Gilles also argued against overlap for the same reason, but so far, I haven't seen any hard evidence that this is really happening in the PRIR. The artifacts caused by overlap should be clearly audible, but should not exist / be removed when the signal is processed to create the PRIR.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back