Smyth Research Realiser A16
Nov 4, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #10,727 of 16,019
That's not what I meant. In this post I described how to change the "name" inside the Realiser, the "legal" qay (implemented and authorised by Stephen Smyth).
Litlgi74 asked for renaming the files OUTSIDE of the Realiser, I suppose he means on a computer.
And if he referfs to the "names" that the Realiser shows on screen (which are not the real file names) then they are in the file header and Stephen told me I can not alter them without compromising the file (unreadable?) but someone else reported that he did, and it worked. But I can not find the post at the moment.

Nov 4, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #10,728 of 16,019
Litlgi74 asked for renaming the files OUTSIDE of the Realiser, I suppose he means on a computer.
This is what I was asking about... If I could change the file name... it would be much easier to label each PRIR for easier recognition.

It's difficult to know what channel this PRIR represents: PRIR_User 1_Paradigm Studio _9[ 15.21 01-Nov-2020 ]201101152158

Nov 6, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #10,730 of 16,019
Guys,

Sorry I wasn't following this thread all the time. How come there are two versions of the A16? Vertical and Horizontal. What's the deal? I thought the original version has always been the vertical one that can double as a headphone stand.

Thanks.

Nov 6, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #10,733 of 16,019
Thanks. I sure prefer the vertical version.
I wish I got the horizontal... Other than using it as a headphone stand... The vertical takes up a bunch of space...

If any has a 2U and wants to trade... Let me know.

Nov 6, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #10,735 of 16,019
Wait, not intentionally derailing the thread. But the headstand is way smaller than the rack mount and is 6 lbs instead of 10lbs. The headstand is almost portable, as in 16 watts and usable from an AC inverter battery power "pack".

Rack mount way larger.

I wouldn't mind the size... Once the PRIRs and HPEQ is stored in the unit. I really don't need to see the Realiser... Especially since I use the auto off feature for the LCD.

Nov 6, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #10,736 of 16,019
UPDATE #22, January 13, 2017
Photographs of the Realiser A16 prototypes
Please see included photographs of the new prototypes for both the headstand and 2U rack mount versions of the A16.
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...al-3d-audio-headphone-processor/posts/1783198
@omniweltall
Just to avoid misunderstandings: Those pictures are a bit outdated as the annonotations on the units have changed (or rather: on the pictures they are far from complete). Also there is a picture of a silver 2U rack mount model but (for now at least) the 2U unit is only available in black. And the headstand only in silver.

Nov 6, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #10,737 of 16,019
@omniweltall
Just to avoid misunderstandings: Those pictures are a bit outdated as the annonotations on the units have changed (or rather: on the pictures they are far from complete). Also there is a picture of a silver 2U rack mount model but (for now at least) the 2U unit is only available in black. And the headstand only in silver.
Thanks for the clarification. The 2U does look better in black.

Nov 7, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #10,738 of 16,019
Hello everyone, does anyone have a link to the EQ files anyone else has been getting? :)

I wanna compare and see how right I have been doing the set up

It is taking me far longer to set it up than I thought at first, so I wanna see how it sounds with what everyone else has been using :)

Nov 7, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #10,739 of 16,019
Hello everyone, does anyone have a link to the EQ files anyone else has been getting?
I am guessing you mean the google drive where you can dowload some PRIR and HPEQ files?
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MWWb8KELPBbAC5WSHf82UXeV73v1O84W

I wanna compare and see how right I have been doing the set up

It is taking me far longer to set it up than I thought at first, so I wanna see how it sounds with what everyone else has been using :)
Listening to other people's PRIRs and HPEQs most likely gives you zero information about what the best possible result is or how good or bad your own measurements are. The best chance of getting a realistic out-of-head experience, hearing the speakers at the locations and distances that you measured them, is with your personal measurement.
If you don't get a realistic sounding result then you should maybe try a few measurements with different mic positions.
Also I hope you are measuring at least 3 lookangles to have headtracking. While listening to your PRIR make sure headtracking is active (set it in optical mode, if you use magnetic mode it takes some time (10-15 minutes?) before it starts working. In the beginning move (turn) your head a bit more often than you normally would (but within the limits of the headtracking). In case of a less-than-perfect measurement this will help (for most people I think) your brain to get the out-of-head experience.

Nov 7, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #10,740 of 16,019
I am guessing you mean the google drive where you can dowload some PRIR and HPEQ files?
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MWWb8KELPBbAC5WSHf82UXeV73v1O84W

Listening to other people's PRIRs and HPEQs most likely gives you zero information about what the best possible result is or how good or bad your own measurements are. The best chance of getting a realistic out-of-head experience, hearing the speakers at the locations and distances that you measured them, is with your personal measurement.
If you don't get a realistic sounding result then you should maybe try a few measurements with different mic positions.
Also I hope you are measuring at least 3 lookangles to have headtracking. While listening to your PRIR make sure headtracking is active (set it in optical mode, if you use magnetic mode it takes some time (10-15 minutes?) before it starts working. In the beginning move (turn) your head a bit more often than you normally would (but within the limits of the headtracking). In case of a less-than-perfect measurement this will help (for most people I think) your brain to get the out-of-head experience.

Woah, very handy information!

Also, it was what I was looking for, I want to experiment a bit, I am getting somewhere with it.

Tried the A16 vs a high-end DAC/AMP like the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. Tried it with HE400i 2020, because i had it on hand

At first, A16 sounds different from what I was expecting, a bit too airy and not quite enough bass (not sure where I am doing something wrong), Then when switching back to a standard DAC/AMP, the differences are huge, it sounds like the sound of a traditional DAC/AMP has bulky and blocky parts, which with A16 are just a natural soundscape. It is amazing what it can do, but I feel that I can also get the bass right with more experiment - I think that I'm doing wrong the HPEQ settings, or that I'm stuck with the default one which was meant for HD800. It surely is not easy to use and set up, but man, I was not expecting such results, going back to not using it feels like going between a hi-res file (a16) and a very compressed mp3 file (most traditional dac/amps) - I'm talking about the magnitude of differences in how natural the stage sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back