Smyth Research Realiser A16
Feb 9, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #8,026 of 15,987
Since the A16 has a separate amp for shakers
It doesn't. It has tactile preouts though. These you can connect to the amp of the shaker, but not the shaker directly to the Realiser!

Feb 9, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #8,027 of 15,987
The S2 is strapped on an armchair ? I’m watching from a couch. I thought about the Subpac M2 but I’m afraid it might not be comfortable if I’m resting my back on the couch with the M2 strapped on myself
I strap mine to Ikea Poang 24/7, and I add 1 thin pillow to make the headrest thicker. I find it comfortable as my everyday lounger, and I have a bad back. It's always ready which is how I like it.

Feb 9, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #8,028 of 15,987
It doesn't. It has tactile preouts though. These you can connect to the amp of the shaker, but not the shaker directly to the Realiser!
That sounds like it would work perfectly for me. But, as I recall, they did promise a separate low-wattage amp for shakers.

Feb 9, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #8,029 of 15,987
I own a Subpac S2 tactile subwoofer. Have had one for four years, used it w OOYH, and yes, it makes a big difference. Everything seems to go at least half an octave deeper with it in use.

Since it has its own amplifiers, all I've had to do was split off the output of my headphone amp, and send one leg to the subpac. Since the A16 has a separate amp for shakers, I'll undoubtedly experiment with it as well. As soon as I get it back from Smyth.

Wow, thanks a lot, I didn't know about the S2 so far. I might need a new chair... :wink: although I do own IKEA Poang(s)... also nice to see that you're using the S2 with HD800s which I use as main headphones.

Feb 9, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #8,030 of 15,987
But, as I recall, they did promise a separate low-wattage amp for shakers.
When Smyth changed from one prototype to the final prototype that 25 Watt amp was dropped, as was the instrument input.

Feb 10, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #8,031 of 15,987
When Smyth changed from one prototype to the final prototype that 25 Watt amp was dropped, as was the instrument input.
Do we know if the Illusonic mixer is also a permanent scratch, or just a promise delayed.

Feb 10, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #8,032 of 15,987
The dropped tactile amp and instrument input are hardware changes. The hardware is what it is now so that was a clear and final change (that was mentioned in a kickstarter update at the time). Smyth just hasn't mentioned Illusonic for a long time now (to my knowledge).

Feb 10, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #8,033 of 15,987
Do we know if the Illusonic mixer is also a permanent scratch, or just a promise delayed.

This is some old news from the French importer from last October 2018, if it helps :
...quote " what takes the longer is the software development, since the hardware has been finished for a long time. Once delivered, there is already a programme of at least a year of software updates to add functions :

(note: the order of priority is not yet defined)

- 96 kHz for a user. The current processing of the A16 is in 24 bits / 48 kHz.
- vertical head tracking. Currently, it is on the horizontal plane only (head rotation)
- the opening of the USB connection for other uses (combo headset for gaming, DAC, binaural recording, management of a keyboard)
- Internet browser control
- the Illusonic upmix
- Auro 3D decoding
- low latency mode to allow musicians to use the A16 to hear themselves playing on a virtual stage without delay
- an optimized mode for the game, with integrated chat (virtual voice positioned in space)
- the menu in several languages "...unquote

Please don't kill the messenger...you may still need me !

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #8,034 of 15,987
This is some old news from the French importer from last October 2018, if it helps :
...quote " what takes the longer is the software development, since the hardware has been finished for a long time. Once delivered, there is already a programme of at least a year of software updates to add functions :

(note: the order of priority is not yet defined)

- 96 kHz for a user. The current processing of the A16 is in 24 bits / 48 kHz.
- vertical head tracking. Currently, it is on the horizontal plane only (head rotation)
- the opening of the USB connection for other uses (combo headset for gaming, DAC, binaural recording, management of a keyboard)
- Internet browser control
- the Illusonic upmix
- Auro 3D decoding
- low latency mode to allow musicians to use the A16 to hear themselves playing on a virtual stage without delay
- an optimized mode for the game, with integrated chat (virtual voice positioned in space)
- the menu in several languages "...unquote

Please don't kill the messenger...you may still need me !
All right but after the year is up:

1581352610139.png

Feb 11, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #8,036 of 15,987
No I don't think so. There were some prototypes with silver housing and black front plate, if I remember correctly.
I think this was a poll to decide which color the 2U unit should finally have.

Feb 11, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #8,038 of 15,987
Thanks!

Isn't the Exchange website active yet or is there a temporary problem?
I tried to make an account but got a message that registration is closed at this time and should try again later.
Nope, the Exchange website has not been activated yet. Maybe they'll mention it in the next weekly update :smiling_imp::yum:

Feb 11, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #8,039 of 15,987
I remeber when having to choose between the 2U or headstand version we had to choose a color as well.
Does the 2U version come in silver also?

As far as the colour choice goes audiohobbit is correct: only silver headstands and black 2Us. I can't find the announcement, however it was before 14 November 2017 because that was the date when I sent Smyth Research a Kickstarter PM requesting a change to the 2U version having asked for the no longer available black headstand version in the survey, Mike Smyth responded that my preference would be changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back