Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 16, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #5,401 of 16,011
For the money you paid, I hope there was no added shipping or duty. In other words, was $3995 the "all in" price?

It was. It cleared customs this morning without the need for me to pay anything so I’m good there I think.

Also based on the shipping manifest I received it looks like I got the unit with serial #150.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #5,403 of 16,011
Great ! You think you’ll get it this Saturday ?

It will be Monday. UPS only delivers Saturdays I guess if you purchase it as an upgrade. I probably should have asked James about that when I was dealing with paying for it. Looks like Monday for sure though.

Aug 16, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #5,404 of 16,011
I can't seem to find it in this thread, but did someone link to a converter that takes analog inputs and converts that to an HDMI output? The receiver that I have access to may not have the analog inputs that I thought it did...

Aug 16, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #5,405 of 16,011
Aug 16, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #5,406 of 16,011
But they seem very expensive, like 800 Euro's is what I have seen. But maybe there are places where you can rent it?

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Yeah that's not good for me. I was going to run to my parents house to make a PRIR of their surround setup and swore that their receiver had analog inputs. That doesn't seem to be the case though. Now I don't know what in the world I'm going to do.

Aug 16, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #5,407 of 16,011
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Yeah that's not good for me. I was going to run to my parents house to make a PRIR of their surround setup and swore that their receiver had analog inputs. That doesn't seem to be the case though. Now I don't know what in the world I'm going to do.
Do you know anyone who lives near you who can lend you a receiver for a day? Or maybe a nearby audio store can rent you a demo model?

Aug 16, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #5,408 of 16,011
Do you know anyone who lives near you who can lend you a receiver for a day? Or maybe a nearby audio store can rent you a demo model?

I’m sure I can track one down somewhere, just that this just turned into way more of a pain that I thought it was going to be.

Aug 16, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #5,409 of 16,011
It was. It cleared customs this morning without the need for me to pay anything so I’m good there I think.

Also based on the shipping manifest I received it looks like I got the unit with serial #150.

Hmm, don't know if the serial # has any thing to with the order number, but my order number is a bit lower than #150.

It is certainly good for you although I am not very happy with what the company has done here...

Aug 16, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #5,410 of 16,011
I was going to run to my parents house to make a PRIR of their surround setup and swore that their receiver had analog inputs. That doesn't seem to be the case though. Now I don't know what in the world I'm going to do.
My AV processor can route one channel of any one of the stereo analog inputs to an arbitrary speaker output so that one can measure each (speaker) channel independently with an external signal generator for the purpose of room equalization. I suspect that that's a really exotic capability, and even with that, I'll have to somehow combine 7 independent mearurements with the Realiser into a single PRIR file. You may want to check your parents' AVR's manual or even service manual again if it has such a capability.

Aug 16, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #5,411 of 16,011
My AV processor can route one channel of any one of the stereo analog inputs to an arbitrary speaker output so that one can measure each (speaker) channel independently with an external signal generator for the purpose of room equalization. I suspect that that's a really exotic capability, and even with that, I'll have to somehow combine 7 independent mearurements with the Realiser into a single PRIR file. You may want to check your parents' AVR's manual or even service manual again if it has such a capability.
Holy Rube Goldberg, Batman! This thing is looking more and more useless by the minute.

Aug 16, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #5,412 of 16,011
I'd like to know where everyone is getting this "analog only" measurement sweep information from. It looks to me like it came from a post on Aug 15 from Sander 99 where he listed a number of other limitations such as no vertical headtracking. My question is where is he getting this information from because unless it's coming from a reliable source, it sounds like purely rampant speculation.

Aug 16, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #5,413 of 16,011
I can't seem to find it in this thread, but did someone link to a converter that takes analog inputs and converts that to an HDMI output? The receiver that I have access to may not have the analog inputs that I thought it did...
You could do that with a computer with HDMI sound and an audio interface with 8 analog inputs. A miniDSP usbstreamer for 100$ as an USB<>ADAT interface and an Alesis ADAT recoder with a broken drive for 25$ may just do the trick, but an apogee, lucid or similar 8 channel interface would most likely work. You may want to test if the principle works with just a regular stereo analog input on your computer and HDMI out before you invest in exotic hardware. Borrowing an old 2 channel USB "sound card" should be trivial if you have no analog in on your computer. Ardour should be able to take care of the signal routing if VLC doesn't.

For more than 8 channels, getting 2 interfaces would just be the start, finding software that encodes to a immersive audio format that the receiver understands and routing that in real time to HDMI would be the harder part, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #5,414 of 16,011
I'd like to know where everyone is getting this "analog only" measurement sweep information from.
The release announcement on Kickstarter for example: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...al-3d-audio-headphone-processor/posts/2592312

> Binaural room impulse response measurement (PRIR measurement)

> 1. 16ch synchronous measurement using internally generated excitation signals from the 16ch analogue outputs.

Edit: They don't list any other option for PRIR measurement.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #5,415 of 16,011
When I was chatting with James I asked if the A16 came with a preloaded room. He said it did and that it was an Atmos room and that I could "have lots of fun right away". Do we have any idea how this room works? Does it just apply a generic HRTF to it, or do you need to be able to have access to being able to sweeps? I guess what I'm asking is if we've ever figured out if we ca customize this room and how? If I can get something realistic sounding out of that room without access to a receiver for a bit I'd be fine with that until I track down an analog one to capture the room I want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back