Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 22, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #4,591 of 16,011
Interesting. That is maybe something what I'm looking for. I have the so called "I-Beam" at the back on my chair and it works really well for me (when properly set-up, e.g. equalized) but I miss the bass-sensation in the chest!
Anything known about pricing of the bassme?
What I immediately don't like is: Bluetooth connection and battery power. For stationary use as it is my intention that is not so good.

By the way: I use the "I-Beam" for music and movies. I never change the setting. It works for music pretty well. It runs up to about 150 Hz and you can subtly feel guitar strings and deep voices at higher volumes, as it would be in reality.
The error most people make with the I-Beam or other transducers is that they level them way too high with movies, so that the transducer does not fit in into the experience but will become something like a foreign object.

she can bass me if she wants...
Funny, since it's a french company, the name sounds very similar to "Baise moi"... :p

Mar 22, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #4,592 of 16,011
Anything known about pricing of the bassme?
What I immediately don't like is: Bluetooth connection and battery power. For stationary use as it is my intention that is not so good.

Funny, since it's a french company, the name sounds very similar to "Baise moi"... :p

The announced price is 129€. It was originally supposed to be released in January. I will email the company to have an estimated release date
There is Bluetooth connection but there is also a Jack input for a wired connection.
It could then be linked straight to the tactile output of the A16, I think.

As for the name sounding very much like « Baise-moi », indeed I guess they searched for a name that could easily be remembered !! (For those who don’t know French, « Baise-moi » means « *** me » !)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #4,593 of 16,011
Thanks for the info. The prize is relatively low so I will be interested to test this device.

Reading the homepage I wasn't sure if the 3,5 mm Jack they mention is an input or an output. It's listed under "Input/Output". If it is really an input, this would be great!
Then there would still be the battery-problem. The question here is if it can be provided with power via the USB all the time?
(In comparison to the headtracker Head Top of the Realiser A8 that is also charged via USB: When the USB is plugged in, the Head Top doesn't work! I tested this and asked the Smyths about this, because always charging the piece is annoying, I am one of those who requested a wirde headtop, with the A16 they'll do it.
But I'm not using the headtracker anymore at the moment. My brain got used to the sound and I don't need it anymore to convinde my brain... This was different in the beginning with the A8)

Mar 22, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #4,595 of 16,011
Thanks for the info. The prize is relatively low so I will be interested to test this device.

Reading the homepage I wasn't sure if the 3,5 mm Jack they mention is an input or an output. It's listed under "Input/Output". If it is really an input, this would be great!
Then there would still be the battery-problem. The question here is if it can be provided with power via the USB all the time?
(In comparison to the headtracker Head Top of the Realiser A8 that is also charged via USB: When the USB is plugged in, the Head Top doesn't work! I tested this and asked the Smyths about this, because always charging the piece is annoying, I am one of those who requested a wirde headtop, with the A16 they'll do it.
But I'm not using the headtracker anymore at the moment. My brain got used to the sound and I don't need it anymore to convinde my brain... This was different in the beginning with the A8)

I emailed the company to get more information about the release date, the price and to make sure that the 3.5mm Jack is an input. I mention the A16 and its tactile output in my message.
I'll keep you informed here when i get an answer.

Mar 23, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #4,598 of 16,011
Not sure whether it’s been mentioned already (was busy presenting there myself), but I had a chat with Mike Smyth at AES yesterday.

I can tell you that we are looking at 1 (read one) up to a maximum of three months until shipping. It all depends on Dolby now - everything else appears to be taken care of.

It was a very insightful conversation and I’m more than ever convinced that the Realiser will impress each one of us in the very, very, very near future.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #4,600 of 16,011
Not sure whether it’s been mentioned already (was busy presenting there myself), but I had a chat with Mike Smyth at AES yesterday.

I can tell you that we are looking at 1 (read one) up to a maximum of three months until shipping. It all depends on Dolby now - everything else appears to be taken care of.

It was a very insightful conversation and I’m more than ever convinced that the Realiser will impress each one of us in the very, very, very near future.

I really hope that’s the timeline.

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #4,601 of 16,011
The list of brands for the Munich High End 2019 is out, no Smyth-Research or Heavenly Sound. With a finished product they just had to be there. And in case you're wondering about the investment for such a fair attendance. 60.000€ for a booth. Hotel room close to the fair between 60-150,-€ per night, depending when you're booking and how well connected you want to be with other distributors. The evening at a hotel bar can be a incredible business opportunity if you meet other people from the exhibition.

But Heavenly Sound updated their website recently, still quite incomplete with test messages in the blog, but a new professionally made video with a lot of bull bingo in the beginning. Strangely they only mention the Realiser as a product, I thought this already was a distribution company with a connection into the studio industry?!?!

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #4,603 of 16,011
I thought this already was a distribution company with a connection into the studio industry?!?!
As far as I know it's like this: Smyth and Siwei Zou started a new company called Heavenly Sound with for the moment only one product, the A16.
Siwei Zou is founder of sE Electronics:
https://www.seelectronics.com/
This company has a world wide distribution network.
There also is some connection between Siwei Zou and Rupert Neve Designs:
https://rupertneve.com/

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #4,604 of 16,011
we are looking at 1 (read one) up to a maximum of three months until shipping. It all depends on Dolby now - everything else appears to be taken care of.

The joke is not that funny anymore unfortunately... Dolby started to review the self tests already 3 months ago... Back in May 2018, James Smyth was saying that it takes "4-6 weeks for Dolby to complete Atmos certification".
If it all depends on Dolby, i wonder why it could still take up to three more months to start shipping ! That would mean a whole half-year to complete the Atmos certification process !!
At the beginning of february, he was saying "We are aware we haven’t provided an update since December 21st 2018"
So James, be aware that we again haven't heard from you for nearly another 7 weeks...
I keep positive that we will get it someday but everytime seeing the shipping date being pushed away a bit further gets tiring over time. (i know that complaining will not change anything though)

Mar 23, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #4,605 of 16,011
I don't know why this is going so slow forward, since they have ( all the units ? ) already assembled ready for shipping. They could just send everything out to everyone who has paid for them and just let us to wait for the Dolby certification and get it via a firmware update. Not sure what the procedure is but this will be great.
Anyway looking forward to read what else have they got to say it the next update.
One thing is for sure : I am want my A16 to enjoy my movies at home .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back