Smyth Research Realiser A16
Apr 21, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #2,536 of 15,986
Checked the Realize Exchange website today and it had no studios/stores/venues local or otherwise listed. For me, a further reason to wait.

Apr 21, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #2,537 of 15,986
I would guess that they may be able to use the exchange data base from the A8... I don't know how many setups are on that exchange but if they work on the A16 I am hoping there are several...

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #2,538 of 15,986
Checked the Realize Exchange website today and it had no studios/stores/venues local or otherwise listed. For me, a further reason to wait.

I'd rather like to see the hardware first and only then they can start figuring out additional services (Exchange, etc.). I also belive that's the route they are going to take, given their recent announcements.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #2,540 of 15,986
Does this 'widely dispersed stereo field' works against the possible cooperation with the Realiser?
In that mode it doesn't beam to individual ears anymore, so in that mode it is useless to feed it a binauralised signal. (But don't confuse this 'stereo mode' with feeding it a binauralised signal via a stereo input in the 'beaming mode' or whatever it is called. The name 'stereo mode' is a bit confusing in this context, it just means that it works more like a traditional soundbar - dispersion wise - in that mode. At least that is my interpretation.)

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #2,541 of 15,986
In that mode it doesn't beam to individual ears anymore, so in that mode it is useless to feed it a binauralised signal. (But don't confuse this 'stereo mode' with feeding it a binauralised signal via a stereo input in the 'beaming mode' or whatever it is called. The name 'stereo mode' is a bit confusing in this context, it just means that it works more like a traditional soundbar - dispersion wise - in that mode. At least that is my interpretation.)
Thank you, i agree. But, are you sure that any analog 2 ch input can be treated other way than like a traditional soundbar? Ok, I know Yarra prototype was used with the Realiser A8, but other than that ...?

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #2,542 of 15,986
I'm curious how most plan to setup their A16. Mine will go below my TV, where my Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch> HDMI> A16> HDMI> TV> optical> 2 channel stereo. A16>optical>Creative X7 DAC>MICROZOTL2.

My X7/MZ2 sits next to my couch, with an optical cable traveling under a thick throw rug (currently use an optical switcher from the 3 consoles into the X7). I sit fairly close to my TV and stand, so I could connect directly to the A16. Just not crazy about headphone cables running across the floor.

I also imagine some have some very nice DACs and amps, and would prefer to use those over the built in. I upgraded the op amps in my X7 with Sparkos SS3601s and SS3602s. They made a tremendous difference over the stock, and a good difference compared to Burson V5i (which could just be a synergy thing with the X7). Compared to the Schiit Modi Multibit, if there's differences, I can't tell (and that's instantly switching between the 2, no idea which was which). X7 has some cool features, like answering phone calls, Bluetooth audio, USB audio, optical audio (which is 5.1 game audio converted to virtual surround), all controllable by volume/mute, which can be great while gaming. Only thing I'm not sure of is mic with the Xbox. Not really a huge deal, as I don't need one often, but that is what I am not sure of at the moment with a setup like this.

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #2,544 of 15,986
I'm curious how most plan to setup their A16. Mine will go below my TV, where my Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch> HDMI> A16> HDMI> TV> optical> 2 channel stereo. A16>optical>Creative X7 DAC>MICROZOTL2.

My X7/MZ2 sits next to my couch, with an optical cable traveling under a thick throw rug (currently use an optical switcher from the 3 consoles into the X7). I sit fairly close to my TV and stand, so I could connect directly to the A16. Just not crazy about headphone cables running across the floor.

I also imagine some have some very nice DACs and amps, and would prefer to use those over the built in. I upgraded the op amps in my X7 with Sparkos SS3601s and SS3602s. They made a tremendous difference over the stock, and a good difference compared to Burson V5i (which could just be a synergy thing with the X7). Compared to the Schiit Modi Multibit, if there's differences, I can't tell (and that's instantly switching between the 2, no idea which was which). X7 has some cool features, like answering phone calls, Bluetooth audio, USB audio, optical audio (which is 5.1 game audio converted to virtual surround), all controllable by volume/mute, which can be great while gaming. Only thing I'm not sure of is mic with the Xbox. Not really a huge deal, as I don't need one often, but that is what I am not sure of at the moment with a setup like this.

I turned an extra bedroom in my house into my media/gaming room last year. The last thing I’m waiting to add to my setup is the A16 I ordered. My setup will look like this:

The A16 will sit with my Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nvidia Shield, and Nintendo Switch. All 4 of those will be fed into the Realiser via HDMI and the Realiser will then feed all of that to my 4K tv. The headphones I will use are my HD 800 with SDR mod. I haven’t yet ordered a balanced cable for the headphones, but I am planning on doing so and using the A16 I’m balanced mode.

Will use the Nvidia Shield to watch all of the tv shows and movies I’ve been collecting in my NAS with surround tracks since the Shield will pass through just about anything without transcoding. The Xbox One X will be used as my UHD Blu Ray player and to play anything with an Atmos track.

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #2,545 of 15,986
Thank you, i agree. But, are you sure that any analog 2 ch input can be treated other way than like a traditional soundbar?
Actually, after having a quick look at some of the information I cannot confirm that 100% for sure now. Maybe someone else know's where we can find that information?
But someone said that standard with stereo it would only beam the two channels without doing any binauralisation. This would be benificial in particular for binaural recordings, and also for normal stereo recordings. That was one of the selling points I think so it would amaze me if it is different now. It would add a natural in-front localization (because the Yarra is really standing in front of you), reduce the need for head-tracking (because the Yarra really stays in a fixed position when you move your head, although that would only work perfect for sounds that are supposed to be localised in front-center, and the further off center the less good it works - for sounds coming from behind even the wrong way around).

Apr 22, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #2,548 of 15,986
I think Mark Waldrep was only using the A8 as the demo source because the sound bar that he sells isn't Atmos compliant and he needed a 8 channel source for demos...
So you think it was 8 ch pcm hdmi output and not 2 ch processed output from the a8? That is probably right. And disappointing... The version where Yarra acts as the Realiser's loudspeaker for the 2 ch processed output sounds much better to me ...

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #2,549 of 15,986
I think Mark Waldrep was only using the A8 as the demo source because the sound bar that he sells isn't Atmos compliant and he needed a 8 channel source for demos...
So you think it was 8 ch pcm hdmi output and not 2 ch processed output from the a8? That is probably right.
No, the A8 has no surround decoders of any kind, the only thing it could have been used for is binauralisation (of signals supplied by an external source).

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #2,550 of 15,986
No, the A8 has no surround decoders of any kind, the only thing it could have been used for is binauralisation (of signals supplied by an external source).
Maybe Waldrep only needed 8 hd pcm channels and that is something A8 can deliver ... l am not sure designers of Yarra had external binauralisation in mind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back