Smyth Research Realiser A16
Feb 2, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #1,996 of 16,011
The actual problem is that there's only one HDMI cable running from the equipment cabinet through the wall to the TV (currently connected to HDMI2 on the TV), which of course has additional HDMI inputs I could use.

So a permanent second HDMI cable isn't really practical. But there's no question if I needed to I can simply run my 20ft Redmere cable from the AVR around the front and on the floor and over to the TV, and just temporarily plug it in to HDMI1 on the TV to do whatever I need to do, and then remove it when I'm done. I've actually already done that.

But the reality is that with my current AVR setup already configured, I can't imagine when I'd ever need to get into its setup again. And moving the AVR end of the HDMI cable running to the TV from its current insertion into HDMI1-output of the AVR, and instead over to HDMI1-output of the Oppo (simultaneously eliminating the cable currently running from HDMI1-output of the Oppo to HDMI1-input of the AVR), this would clearly facilitate ARC implemented through the Oppo. Hadn't occurred to me before this current discussion.

And the advantage relative to the A8 is obvious, in that my existing HDMI2-outut path from Oppo to A8 for any source coming from the Oppo would simply be extended to yet one additional new source facilitated by the Oppo, namely ARC from the TV apps delivered via HDMI to the A8. And it is absolutely true that this would eliminate the need for analog input to the A8 from AVR for ARC. Much simpler for me, and also superior sound in the headphones.

I will indeed do this. Thanks to all who've contributed for the suggestion.

My only other concern (and it may not be justified) is that when I had my Panny 65VT50 calibrated by D-Nice back in April 2013, it was configured as it is today, namely HDMI path from Oppo through AVR and on to the TV. So the color generator signal source went into the front-HDMI external input, and through the Oppo and AVR to the TV. So the calibration was done with that pathway, with the AVR of course in video-bypass mode so in theory it's contributing nothing. You wouldn't think this elimination of the AVR for the video path to the TV from Oppo would have any impact on the color on the TV. But I am at least aware of its potentially having a tiny impact. Not really serious for sure, if at all. And I am due for another calibration eventually anyway.

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #1,997 of 16,011
I’m glad I cancelled my preorder and got a refund.

I initially paid in full and up to September last year, I had several emails for smyth saying I would receive the a16 by the end of 17.

I appreciate delays can happen but surely you must have known by September 17 that shipping in the next 3 months would be unrealistic.

I’m still interested in the a16 as the demo at CanJam left me well impressed but I now rather wait for some first hand reviews with the final unit and the inevitable price drop

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #1,998 of 16,011
I’m glad I cancelled my preorder and got a refund.

I initially paid in full and up to September last year, I had several emails for smyth saying I would receive the a16 by the end of 17.

I appreciate delays can happen but surely you must have known by September 17 that shipping in the next 3 months would be unrealistic.

I’m still interested in the a16 as the demo at CanJam left me well impressed but I now rather wait for some first hand reviews with the final unit and the inevitable price drop
Canceling is one thing and the price drop you are expecting is another.
I don't see a price drop at all, especially when will come out, maybe a increase a la Brexit:)
Now you should get in touch with Smyth Research about a possible re-order, i would if i were you. You can't even place a pre-order on the website anymore.
Once the A16 comes out will sell really well with great demand,me saying.

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #2,001 of 16,011
I wonder how The Realiser A16 will work with headphones like the Utopia. They are very good but the soundstage is not wide. Will the A16 make them sound better?
here we're trying to copy something(the speakers reaching our ears) so objective fidelity can be relevant as it is with any duplication of data. but subjective fidelity of the headphone before compensation isn't.

Feb 10, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #2,003 of 16,011
No excitement at all guys upon the Realiser A16 release date? :)
Hopefully it will be present at next CanJam show.

What release date?

Feb 11, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #2,005 of 16,011
March or April i hope :)

Smyth wrote in their last update: “6. We will be exhibiting and demonstrating the completed Realiser A16 at CanJam in Los Angeles 7-8th April 2018.”

I think this means that they will concentrate on this show and have some Realiser ready plus maybe have the certification done.
So I guess that they will not release it before May or June.

Feb 11, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #2,006 of 16,011
Hi guys !
Here are some news from the french front... The french reseller of A16 sent us an email today giving the following information :
- The metal cases are still on their way to the UK, somewhere on a boat in the middle of the ocean. Therefore, obviously, assembling the final unit won't start before they arrive
- The Dolby certification is planned for the beginning of march...
- The A16 will not capture the LFE channel. The direct bass gives a much better result, so that's the way the A16 will deal with low frequencies, with a 2.0 improved version of direct bass
No shipping date announced yet...

Feb 11, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #2,007 of 16,011
Hi guys !
Here are some news from the french front... The french reseller of A16 sent us an email today giving the following information :
- The metal cases are still on their way to the UK, somewhere on a boat in the middle of the ocean. Therefore, obviously, assembling the final unit won't start before they arrive
- The Dolby certification is planned for the beginning of march...
- The A16 will not capture the LFE channel. The direct bass gives a much better result, so that's the way the A16 will deal with low frequencies, with a 2.0 improved version of direct bass
No shipping date announced yet...

If they are planning on submitting for Dolby certification the beginning of March, then I believe they've said that take about 4 weeks. Which if everything goes smoothly has them shipping April at the earliest, and I assume even if it was April they wouldn't ship until after CanJam. I would think at this point units starting to be delivered the beginning of May is the best case scenario.

Feb 11, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #2,008 of 16,011
No excitement at all guys upon the Realiser A16 release date?

The only release date given so far is the 2017 one that's been and gone.

Not sure what date you think we're meant to be getting excited for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back