Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 8, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #1,742 of 16,011
Have any of you heard about nuraphone? Seems like it's using a similar tech as to what the Smyth inner ear mics use.

Check out @Psiga's first impressions from this very site. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nuraphone.858879/#post-13939894 The Nuraphone people may be onto something but they haven't got it to the point at which it seems like a sensible pairing (or substitute) for the Realiser. Moreover, the partially in-ear design of the Nuraphone would seem difficult to measure with the Realiser's microphones.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #1,743 of 16,011
Check out @Psiga's first impressions from this very site. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nuraphone.858879/#post-13939894 The Nuraphone people may be onto something but they haven't got it to the point at which it seems like a sensible pairing (or substitute) for the Realiser. Moreover, the partially in-ear design of the Nuraphone would seem difficult to measure with the Realiser's microphones.

Not sure what's up with the search feature, but I actually searched for a thread before posting about it. Regardless, I wasn't suggesting any kind of pairing with the Realiser, only that it seems to be using a similar tech as what the mics use for a PRIR, but that was just at a cursory glance.

Jan 8, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #1,744 of 16,011
Not sure what's up with the search feature, but I actually searched for a thread before posting about it. Regardless, I wasn't suggesting any kind of pairing with the Realiser, only that it seems to be using a similar tech as what the mics use for a PRIR, but that was just at a cursory glance.

I'm not sure that it is exactly the same tech. Nuraphone claims to sense what sound arrives at the eardrum by measuring the sound reflected in the ear. Smyth are just hearing based on the sound at the top of the ear canal. I'll be interested to see whether the Ossic X uses anything like either of these approaches: certainly you can see a lot of work being done in the general field of sound measurement. In principle, though, I like the fact that Smyth are offloading the task of headphone design to dedicated headphone manufacturers. Nura & Ossic are taking a lot on by trying to design so much of the audio chain.

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #1,747 of 16,011
Anyone else going to donate your own system?
I wouldn't donate my speakers, not even sell. I will use my Realiser mostly for playing formats that exceed my system and that is 5.1 plus.
And what do I have already?
Music:
Kraftwerk - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 - Dolby Atmos
David Miles Huber - GAMmA - Auro 3D
David Miles Huber - Paralax Eden - Auro 3D
Roger Waters - The Wall - Dolby Atmos
Trondheim Solistene - Magnificat - Auro 3D
Trondheim Solistene - Reflections - Dolby Atmos, Auro 3D (2 copies, 1 unopened - possible exchange)
Movies:
Intern - Dolby Atmos
Jason Bourne - Dolby Atmos, dts X
Legend Of Tarzan - Dolby Atmos
The Man From U.N.C.L.E. - Dolby Atmos
Inferno - Auro 3D
Batman v Superman - Auro 3D
Lucy - Dolby Atmos

Now I'm very interested to hear what the others have from that category.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #1,748 of 16,011
I wouldn't donate my speakers, not even sell.
I think they mean donating a virtual copy (PRIR) of their system to the Realiser Exchange site, not the real physical speakers! (If I am wrong: I live only a one hour drive from Richter Di I think, I will be happy to pick up those Mordaunt-Shorts and the Audio Research amp:ksc75smile:!)

Jan 11, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #1,753 of 16,011
Has anyone gotten an email from the Smyths yet to request the remaining payment? I seem to recall that the amount was to be paid in full by mid-January, which is almost here.
Most people here that ordered the A16 did this in an earlier phase, and they all will have received the request and paid the full amount by now I assume. Me for example I ordered in june before the end of june deadline. I sent an email myself to Smyth immediately after paying the 700 dollars because I wanted things to be "in order" as quickly as possible.
When did you pay the 700 dollars?

By the way, it has been said before but for the newcomers: everyone beware the A16 standard comes with only one headtracker, better ask Smyth to include a second one (that was 65 dollars excl. VAT for me at the time, I don't know how much now). Unless you are satisfied with limiting one of the 2 possible simultanious users to non-headtracked operation only (which I think would be silly after spending so much money on the device).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back