Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 18, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #15,376 of 16,011
Just to repeat: my measured 2.15 PRIR and HPEQ sounds perfect on my June 2023 hardware. Any non-2.15 HPEQ, such as the factory files or one I've gotten from @Litlgi74, results in the sound shifted to the right when played with this 2.15 PRIR. Non-2.15 PRIRs, such as the factory files or ones I've purchased, played with my 2.15 HPEQ, again sound shifted. Non-2.15 PRIRs played with non-2.15 HPEQs sound fine.

I've uploaded my PRIR and an HPEQ to the Google drive (section 4, folder zdjh22). It would be great if someone running 2.12 could try both together, as if I recall correctly 2.15 PRIRs with pre-2.15 HPEQs on pre-2.15 firmware have also sounded shifted to other users on hardware that can run pre-2.15. And, if someone could be so kind, please report back using my 2.15 PRIR with a non-2.15 HPEQ that you have measured.

If you can't access the Google drive, let me know and I can post a Dropbox link. I've shared that link already with @Litlgi74.
I've measured the PRIRs and HPEQ of two separate users... Here are the results.

zdjh22's Center Channel (flat HPEQ): Left vs Right binaural mic (new hardware FW 2.15)
zdjh22 center.jpg

zdjh22's Auto HPEQ (without PRIR): Left vs Right binaural mic (new hardware FW 2.15)
zdjh22 hpeq.jpg

Another Users Center Channel (flat HPEQ): Left vs Right binaural mic (old hardware FW 2.15)
Song Center.jpg

The problem seems to be with FW 2.15..., The Smyths now have the PRIRs to investigate the problem.

I think it goes without saying... if you want to create a PRIR or HPEQ... you should probably only do so with FW 2.12 or earlier.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #15,377 of 16,011
I've measured the PRIRs and HPEQ of two separate users... Here are the results.

zdjh22's Center Channel (flat HPEQ): Left vs Right binaural mic (new hardware)

Your Auto HPEQ: Left vs Right binaural mic (new hardware)

Another Users Center Channel (flat HPEQ): Left vs Right binaural mic (old hardware)

The problem seems to be with FW 2.15..., The Smyths now have the PRIRs to investigate the problem.

I think it goes without saying... if you want to create a PRIR or HPEQ... you should probably only do so with FW 2.12 or earlier.
I want to make sure I understand. These are all HPEQ graphs? My flat HPEQ is at the top with a +5 dB right-left difference (both lines are labeled left though), and my auto HPEQ with a -6 dB right-left difference?

EDIT - never mind. The top and bottom graphs are PRIRs I gather. My HPEQ essentially cancels out the left-right difference in the PRIR (opposite effect).

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #15,378 of 16,011
FYI... All PRIRs made from old hardware on FW 2.12 or earlier are working properly... I personally have not tried creating PRIRs or HPEQs with FW 2.15

Omega Center Channel (flat HPEQ): Left vs Right binaural mic (old hardware)
Omega Center.jpg

Customers Center Channel (flat HPEQ): Left vs Right binaural mic (old hardware)
Customer Center.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #15,379 of 16,011
Now that FW 2.15 has been identified as the definite culprit, we can hope for a firmware fix.

I have a minor firmware plea. These old eyes hate the 2" color screen on the A16. I know we'll probably never get a full web interface, but since the A16 on demand can produce a bitmap image of the screen, the next best thing for me would be an ultra simple web server that simply generates and ships out a new bitmap to your browser whenever you refresh. That would make PRIR measurements and looking at menus so much easier - just use your remote from a distance, and your tablet to look at the result. Doesn't have to be realtime, just on demand (no need for live level meters).

I'm even happy to write the code!

Sep 19, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #15,380 of 16,011
if you have an ipad you can use the Centro Control App.

I bought a refurbished ipad, but wasn't yet able to implement all that (also apps for my other HT gear, like the oppo 103 etc.) I'm just to lazy or busy...
The Realiser is placed right beside my chair on a table. The rest of the gear is in a rack. I wanted to put the Realiser also in the Rack again and use the Centro Control App...
Other possible solutions: webcam that films the display with live feed to a tablet or monitor near you. I once tested a webcam but it couldn't focus that near. I suppose there are better ones out there.
Or I was also thinking about a fresnel magnifier, but not sure if this would work either.

edit: For PRIR measurements we used an old Android Tablet that I have with built-in Camera and Micro HDMI out. Fortunately this could focus near enough and could be set up to never go to sleep when USB powered. We placed this in front of the display and fed the HDMI stream to PC monitor that was several meters away from the listener position, so another person could look at it and didn't distract the speaker - ear sightlines. The other persons could give commands to the listener, this was for async measurements when there were no pilot tones available for positioning the head at the right angle.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #15,381 of 16,011
Now that FW 2.15 has been identified as the definite culprit, we can hope for a firmware fix.
I figured a quick note of caution was in order. I’ve been working with @Litlgi74 on trying to understand what’s going on with my FW 2.15 on my new A16 hardware, the one PRIR I measured using an async 7.1 file from AV-in, and the HPEQs that I have measured. We can definitely say that the PRIR is shifted as others have noted upthread (more precisely, it results in a left-right level difference on the center channel; I haven’t looked at the other channels with REW). And, though it may be a coincidence, my HPEQs are likewise shifted in level to an extent that almost exactly compensates for the PRIR shift. Together my PRIR and HPEQs are very satisfying and centered to my ears, maybe just a happy coincidence. Since multiple users evidently have the same issue with PRIRs under FW 2.15, we are satisfied with the conclusion that this is not a problem with multiple users’ mics, but is inherent to FW 2.15. I will also note that my measured HPEQs have a peculiar peak around 7k Hz, more prominent in one channel, so I’ve started using a MANloud adjustment to flatten that region.

We can definitely say that the 7.1 async measurement file is not a fix for this 2.15 firmware issue. It would be best not to purchase an AV-in membership to get these files with the expectation that they fix the firmware bug. I am happy that I purchased the membership, as the mp4 video files for PRIR measurement are quite easy to use, and I anticipate that I will make much use of them once the FW 2.15 firmware is fixed. My apologies if my prior posts gave the impression that the purchased async files fix the bug.

If you have hardware that must use FW 2.15, like I do, you are more than welcome to try this one PRIR and HPEQ combination; just download from section (4) of the Google Drive under the zdjh22 folder. You might also find that your own 2.15-measured HPEQs compensate for the level shifted PRIR. Note that only the autoHPEQ “works” with my PRIR; the flatHPEQ, as would be expected, results in shifted output.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #15,384 of 16,011
Just scroll back. One of these posts every month.
As there should be. I’m surprised he ever answered the email, he’s never responded to me.

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #15,385 of 16,011
Is anybody in regular contact with James? Is he even alive anymore? He stopped answering my emails several months ago and I'm very much starting to fear I wasted my money on a pre-order.
He stopped responding to me too. I keep trying though.

Does anybody know where I can buy new mics outside of Smyth? Mine stopped working correctly, and I keep asking James if I can buy a new pair, but no responses.

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #15,386 of 16,011
He stopped responding to me too. I keep trying though.

Does anybody know where I can buy new mics outside of Smyth? Mine stopped working correctly, and I keep asking James if I can buy a new pair, but no responses.
Are you replying to an older thread you have with James or have you sent an entirely new email with a proper title that describes what you need? As long as you are purchasing something and not complaining I would expect them to respond.

You could also try the French distributor, av-in.com.

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #15,387 of 16,011
Are you replying to an older thread you have with James or have you sent an entirely new email with a proper title that describes what you need? As long as you are purchasing something and not complaining I would expect them to respond.

No, he does not respond, and no, I am not complaining. I have tried both, and I am not spamming him either.

Edit: whoops, you weren't replying to me, sorry. I'm not reading carefully enough.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #15,388 of 16,011

I was replying to an older thread. I'll try a new email with a proper title. Good idea!

Sep 23, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #15,389 of 16,011

It shouldn't matter. He used to reply to messages before and he's not now. I'd be very surprised if they send out any more A16s, unless you're willing to pay full price. Anybody know any good lawyers in Northern Ireland? (I'm asking half in jest but half not... If the UK were still in the EU, that'd be one thing, but it's not, so that adds another layer of complexity to everything)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back